What you wish you knew before starting iuis

Jrepp

TTC #1 DH 30, Me 29
Reaction score
Hi ladies, my name is Jessica. My husband and I have been ttc for 18 months. During that time I had 3 early miscarriages, with no pregnancies at LP since January. All of our testing has come back normal, aside from a large septum that was removed from my uterus in Aprl. Our re is starting us on clomid, trigger and IUI with not this upcoming cycle, but the following one.

I am curious to know what you ladies learned along the way and if y have any tips/tricks for those of us just starting the process.

Hi ladies, my name is Jessica. My husband and I have been ttc for 18 months. During that time I had 3 early miscarriages, with no pregnancies at LP since January. All of our testing has come back normal, aside from a large septum that was removed from my uterus in Aprl. Our re is starting us on clomid, trigger and IUI with not this upcoming cycle, but the following one.

I am curious to know what you ladies learned along the way and if y have any tips/tricks for those of us just starting the process.

Hi Jessica!! Well my DH and I have been trying for all most 3 years with no BFP at all. I finally went to RE. We had several procedures happen (HSG, SONO, SA, and surgery). We sat down with the doctor and she gave us options. Clomid, injections, IUI and IVF. My insurance company requires 6 months of any of the other process b4 we could do IVF. My husband and I decided injections with IUI while being monitored. So I took Follistim injections for a little over a week, then the doctor added low dose HCG shots. These shots are given at home in your stomach below the belly button. I am scared of needles so that was a huge challenge for me. We then triggered with Ovidrel. We did my first IUIs (10/31 & 11/1). So basically I triggered on a Thursday and had IUIs on Friday and Saturday. The trigger shot needle is a little dull so you will have to put a little pressure when injecting yourself. It does not matter which side you do the injection on. Some people will ice the spot beforehand but I did not. Day of IUI, DH had to give sample both days. The RE washed the semen. Then an hour later we go in the room and they insert a catheter until it reaches uterus (slightly painful but bearable - pain lasted less than 2 minutes) . For us the RE inserted 20 million sperm per IUI. Then they make you lay there for 10 minutes. I stayed in there for 15-20 just to give the soldiers some extra time. LOL
I can also tell you that I was in pain after the procedures but did not have to take an pain relievers. The IUI happened on Halloween for us, so I was able to just sit on the couch while DH gave out candy.

I hope that helps. If you have any other questions let me know.
The only difference between us is your taken clomid and I took injections.

Good Luck!
:dust:

I wish I had not gone into my first IUI with high expectations that it would work. It left me feeling so bitter and upset after the bfn. So going into your first IUI, be kind to yourself but at the same time don't be so positive that you risk feeling so disappointed/upset when the time comes and if you get bfn after all that.

One tip- actually 2... 1st one, day of IUI -take the day off. It'll be emotional enough. BOTH of you need to have a fun plan in action- I spent the day relaxing at home watching tv/movies with my man the day of IUI after we were done with that. 2nd tip, in the 2 weeks wait, it will feel long, so make sure your man and you have some projects to get your mind off the wait (pick up a book you've been wanting to read, or choose a project you're interested in doing - not baby related). My man did some kind of wood working project during the two weeks wait and I think I knitted.

That's all I can think of. My 1st IUI cycle was unmedicated and unmonitored. My 2nd one was medicated and monitored. Both resulted in bfn. I haven't done any more since.

Thank you both so much!! We are hopeful that the first cycle works but know full well it could take a few. I hope you both get bfps soon.

If I may ask, why did you have the iuis? Was it male factor, unexplained.....etc? Do either of you ovulate on your own regularly?

My story in few words is this- male infertility factor is the issue we're facing- to be specific, we have no swimmers at all from my husband. I, on the other hand, am very healthy and ovulate on my own regularly just fine. So if we do IUI or anything, it will always be with donors.

Thank you both so much!! We are hopeful that the first cycle works but know full well it could take a few. I hope you both get bfps soon.

If I may ask, why did you have the iuis? Was it male factor, unexplained.....etc? Do either of you ovulate on your own regularly?

DH was golden. The RE found a polyp during my SONO procedure. I had surgery to remove it. However the doctor thought it could also be my cervix not allowing :spermy: to get through. Yes, I ovulate monthly on my own. DH and I have just never had a :bfp:, so we figured lets increase our chances and go with injections + trigger +IUI + monitoring. We chose 2 IUIs just cause it was an option and again to increase our chance the first time around. I am hopeful it will work. I have read on several forums some ladies had successful 1st time IUI and some had to repeat it several times. I think everyone is different.
Good Luck and I hope it works 1st time for you! :hugs:

I would say it depends on what the issue is. In our case it was (mostly) male infertility factor. He has swimmers just not enough and they're lazy and sometimes abnormal. We only did one IUI because I was so discouraged even before I knew the results. My doctor said that unless they're putting 20 million sperm (post wash) into your uterus the odds aren't even as good as a regular (both partners healthy) couple trying on any given month, which is 20%. we only had 7 million post wash. So all that trouble for maybe a 10% chance.... we moved on to IVF and got pregnant the first time. We are expecting our first son in May and already planning another transfer!

If your husband has good numbers, try IUI at least 3 times, that's what my doctor said.

There is a HUGE list of what I wish I had known.

I wish I had looked into what additional things could increase my chances i.e.. medications. I just introduced baby aspirin after O and 600 mg go coQ10. My first IUI was a bfn and I didn't take progesterone, the following 3 were bfp when taking progesterone, so I would have taken it on all of them.

Also, not that big of an issue because you are only taking clomid, but if you ever take injectables, watch your dose. Fertility meds (mostly injections) are so easy to hyper hyper stimulate. I had 1 or 2 cycles cancelled because of too many follicles. I did 2 cycles of clomid and only had 1 folicle so that was another 2 wasted cycles. We weren't willing to do an IUI on one follicle because I always have one. I changed to injectables quick because I wanted more follicles.

I know I'm jumping in here without and introduction but I just wanted to express my gratitude for the info in this thread. My RE admitted that no one explains these things to ladies when we start TTC. We are our best source of support, info and options. Thank you!
:flower:
Ok now I'll go post my intro!

I guess I never updated this thread lol. My husband and I got a surprise bfp a week before we were to start taking the fertility meds. We are now 10 weeks along!

I wish I had looked into what additional things could increase my chances i.e.. medications. I just introduced baby aspirin after O and 600 mg go coQ10. My first IUI was a bfn and I didn't take progesterone, the following 3 were bfp when taking progesterone, so I would have taken it on all of them.

Also, not that big of an issue because you are only taking clomid, but if you ever take injectables, watch your dose. Fertility meds (mostly injections) are so easy to hyper hyper stimulate. I had 1 or 2 cycles cancelled because of too many follicles. I did 2 cycles of clomid and only had 1 folicle so that was another 2 wasted cycles. We weren't willing to do an IUI on one follicle because I always have one. I changed to injectables quick because I wanted more follicles.

Im going to be taking injectibles (menopur) starting probably this weekend.. Also will be taking progesterone. What is the baby aspirin for and coQ10? Should i take those too? What dose and when?

Im going to be taking injectibles (menopur) starting probably this weekend.. Also will be taking progesterone. What is the baby aspirin for and coQ10? Should i take those too? What dose and when?

Good luck to you, I hope this is the trick for you!

Some people have a blood clotting issue that can cause mc so doctors say that it can't hurt to take it after your BFP. Some doctors say that there is no proof it works but they are ok if you take it.

coQ10 is apparently good for cell development. Again, they say that there is no proof it works but it is healthy to take. It was recommended by my fertility clinic to try. They said 600mg daily. I happen to have 200mg pills so I take it 3 times per day. They say that it is fat soluble so you need to take it will food contains fat.

I started this stuff before my O and so far I am 4 weeks pg. That's nothing new for me, I can typically stay pg for 6 weeks. We will have to see what happens in the next couple weeks.

Some people have a blood clotting issue that can cause mc so doctors say that it can't hurt to take it after your BFP. Some doctors say that there is no proof it works but they are ok if you take it.

coQ10 is apparently good for cell development. Again, they say that there is no proof it works but it is healthy to take. It was recommended by my fertility clinic to try. They said 600mg daily. I happen to have 200mg pills so I take it 3 times per day. They say that it is fat soluble so you need to take it will food contains fat.

I started this stuff before my O and so far I am 4 weeks pg. That's nothing new for me, I can typically stay pg for 6 weeks. We will have to see what happens in the next couple weeks.

Thanks girl.
I will take a trip to shoppers to orrow and get some. Im super confused by my cycle and knowing when to start my injectibles.. I posted another thread in assisted conception.
I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you. Hopefully the new year brought you new luck !

Thanks girl.
I will take a trip to shoppers to orrow and get some. Im super confused by my cycle and knowing when to start my injectibles.. I posted another thread in assisted conception.
I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you. Hopefully the new year brought you new luck !

No problem good luck to you. I did 1 cycle of clomid before going to injectables. I was't wasting any time. If you have several follicles on climbed then I would stick with it. I only got 1 follicle.

Im not doing clomid at all.. My re wont prescribe it.. He goes straight to injectibles

Im not doing clomid at all.. My re wont prescribe it.. He goes straight to injectibles

Ok, be careful with those!!!!!!!

I take Gonal F. There have been a couple months they gave me an average dose of 150 ui and I hyper stimulated so they cancelled the iui. I guess I just react well to it. This cycle I did 100ui from day 4-12 and it gave my 4-5 mature follicles. Now I have to see how many fertilized.

Ok, be careful with those!!!!!!!

I take Gonal F. There have been a couple months they gave me an average dose of 150 ui and I hyper stimulated so they cancelled the iui. I guess I just react well to it. This cycle I did 100ui from day 4-12 and it gave my 4-5 mature follicles. Now I have to see how many fertilized.

Im starting at 75 of menopur cd2-6 then i start monitoring.. I go in cd7 for bloods and US and they call me same day wuth instructions on how to continue and i. Goback every 2-3 days after thatfor more blood and US until i trigger..

I think my monitoring is pretty good so i hope that doesnt happen with me

Sounds like a pretty safe start. It would be nice if they monitored closer. I go for blood and u/s daily when I'm on meds so they can catch things early and adjust the dose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->