What's tested when your blood work is taken?

Rae.Rae

Reaction score
You know how you always think of more questions to ask the doctor once your appointment is well over?? :dohh:

I had my first appointment on Wednesday, where they did an abdominal scan to confirm pregnancy and take my blood. I have my dating and due date TV scan next Thursday (I wanted to make sure I'd be past 6 weeks in order to see the heartbeat... the only thing that will really ease my mind!). I'm between 5-6 weeks, since I have such an irregular period, it's hard to be positive without the TV scan. IF I'm correct with my bbt chart, I should be 6 weeks on Tuesday, which puts me at 5w3d. I think. So I may be 6w2d for my TV scan.

Anyway, I called to get my blood results back yesterday. They tested my blood sugar (my brother is a type 1 diabetic), which came back PERFECT, at a 5.4. My hcg levels were at 13,963. They didn't offer any more information, so is that all they test for? I ask mainly because my mom is deficient in her iron and vitamin D, so I wondered if they also check your vitamin levels? Do they check your progesterone levels too?

I suppose I could call and ask... but they're not open yet and I already feel like the crazy new mom with all the times I've already called! :haha:

In the UK your blood gets tested and you're tested for hiv, blood group, iron count and another few blood disorders or diseases x

They took my blood and told me they would be checking for deficiencies. So I'm sure they will be checking for things like iron levels. Probably hemoglobin as well.

Blood group
Immunity to rubella
HIV

Iron Studies:
Serum iron
Transferrin
Transferrin saturation
Ferritin

Complete Blood Count:
Haemoglobin
RBC
HCT