What's the deal with follow on milk?

Discussion in 'Formula Feeding' started by Elphaba, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Elphaba

Elphaba Well-Known Member

I know it's suitable from 6 months and therefore, I presume, for alongside weaning. But how does follow on milk differ from first infant milk and is it important to switch?

Just wondered as sure breastfed babies will get exactly the same milk whether they are one month old or six so why a diferent type of forumla? I have a free sachet of HIPP follow on and the ingredients do seem to differ slightly from the first infant milk but just curious as to the reasoning behind it. :wacko:

2. bathbabe

bathbabe Mum to 3 boys

There is no real need for it. Your baby should get a varied diet while weaning and therefore not need the 'extra' bits and bobs in the follow on milk. My midwife said that follow on was a ploy to get around not being able to advertise stage 1 milks x

3. OmarsMum

OmarsMum Well-Known Member

BM changes at 6 months I guess. Follow on has extra vitamins & iron. If a baby is taking less than the recomended at 6+, follow on is a good alternative as it provides more iron & nutrients. xx

4. bubbles123

bubbles123 Well-Known Member

It is a personal choice - you can use follow on or first milk. Follow on has more of the vitamins likely to be harder to get from solid food - iron for example but not all of the extra iron will be absorbed though. But as long as LO is eating fairly well both milks will do fine.

5. ke29

ke29 Well-Known Member

it has extra vitamins and is cheaper as supermarkets are allowed to do promotions on it but not first milk as they are supposed to be pro breast feeding.

6. jumpin

jumpin Active Member

My HV said that there is no need to move onto follow on milk and to continue with first milk as LO will get what they need from that milk and food.

7. Elphaba

Elphaba Well-Known Member

Thanks girls! I don't have a problem with switching when he's six months - was just curious!

8. Mrs Doddy

Mrs Doddy 1 pink 1 blue

That's what I was told by the hv too