What's the deal with follow on milk?

Elphaba

Reaction score
I know it's suitable from 6 months and therefore, I presume, for alongside weaning. But how does follow on milk differ from first infant milk and is it important to switch?

Just wondered as sure breastfed babies will get exactly the same milk whether they are one month old or six so why a diferent type of forumla? I have a free sachet of HIPP follow on and the ingredients do seem to differ slightly from the first infant milk but just curious as to the reasoning behind it. :wacko:

There is no real need for it. Your baby should get a varied diet while weaning and therefore not need the 'extra' bits and bobs in the follow on milk. My midwife said that follow on was a ploy to get around not being able to advertise stage 1 milks x

BM changes at 6 months I guess. Follow on has extra vitamins & iron. If a baby is taking less than the recomended at 6+, follow on is a good alternative as it provides more iron & nutrients. xx

It is a personal choice - you can use follow on or first milk. Follow on has more of the vitamins likely to be harder to get from solid food - iron for example but not all of the extra iron will be absorbed though. But as long as LO is eating fairly well both milks will do fine.

it has extra vitamins and is cheaper as supermarkets are allowed to do promotions on it but not first milk as they are supposed to be pro breast feeding.

My HV said that there is no need to move onto follow on milk and to continue with first milk as LO will get what they need from that milk and food.

Thanks girls! I don't have a problem with switching when he's six months - was just curious!

There is no real need for it. Your baby should get a varied diet while weaning and therefore not need the 'extra' bits and bobs in the follow on milk. My midwife said that follow on was a ploy to get around not being able to advertise stage 1 milks x

That's what I was told by the hv too

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->