What's the difference between NTNP and TTC?

IrelandsOwn

Mama to India
Reaction score
I'm just wondering which category I fall into. I'm actively trying to get pregnant but don't chart or check my cervix or anything. But I'm definitely not Not Trying, I definitely AM trying. Can anyone help a sista out? I'm wondering which forum I should be in :coffee:

It's all a bit fluid I think. In my opinion true pure NTNP is simply having unprotected sex knowing you will be happy to get pregnant. But many women who consider themselves NTNP will ensure they know when they are ovulating and bd at the bd at their most fertile time of the month. The more you do eg temping taking soy etc and trying methods such as SMEP the more you fit into trying. To be honest I don't think it makes a huge difference you will be welcomed by the lovely ladies on here in both areas. I consider myself more NTNP than TTC but I feel happy in both :dust:

It's all a bit fluid I think. In my opinion true pure NTNP is simply having unprotected sex knowing you will be happy to get pregnant. But many women who consider themselves NTNP will ensure they know when they are ovulating and bd at the bd at their most fertile time of the month. The more you do eg temping taking soy etc and trying methods such as SMEP the more you fit into trying. To be honest I don't think it makes a huge difference you will be welcomed by the lovely ladies on here in both areas. I consider myself more NTNP than TTC but I feel happy in both :dust:

Thanks for the info, that makes perfect sense! I think I'll straddle both forums (ooh er)

Well you'll not get pregnant without a little straddling:winkwink:

I've never charted or temped but I still considered myself actively TTC for my first two pregnancies: I counted the length of my cycles and paid attention to ovulation symptoms and tried to BD around those times. We wanted to get pregnant....NOW!!! lol

But right now I consider myself NTNP because were simply having unprotected sex. I do try to pay some attention to my cycles because they are irregular and I need to make sure I have a stock of tampons/pads ready so I'm not caught unawares. Also, I need to know when to test if necessary. But the main reasons is that I don't feel in as huge a rush to conceive. Af getting me still has hurt (and we just started) and I feel a twinge jealous when people I know get pregnant but deep down I'm very happy with my DS. I feel it will happen at the right time. :thumbup:

I've never charted or temped but I still considered myself actively TTC for my first two pregnancies: I counted the length of my cycles and paid attention to ovulation symptoms and tried to BD around those times. We wanted to get pregnant....NOW!!! lol

But right now I consider myself NTNP because were simply having unprotected sex. I do try to pay some attention to my cycles because they are irregular and I need to make sure I have a stock of tampons/pads ready so I'm not caught unawares. Also, I need to know when to test if necessary. But the main reasons is that I don't feel in as huge a rush to conceive. Af getting me still has hurt (and we just started) and I feel a twinge jealous when people I know get pregnant but deep down I'm very happy with my DS. I feel it will happen at the right time. :thumbup:

I would love to be that zen about it! But like you were with your first, I'm anxious to get the ball rolling. Still, I'm not going to chart until we've been at it unsuccessfully for six months. For me I think it would just add to the stress. :wacko:

Yeah I wasn't sure if I should label myseld TTC or what... because I got off the pill, but I'm not temping or OPKing or whatever. But I am trying to figure out how long my cycle is, trying to figure out when I ovulate, etc so I might know when to DTD! I decided I was TTC technically end of this month because that's when I told my DH we'd be ACTIVE for the supposedly fertile window.

I would love to be that zen about it! But like you were with your first, I'm anxious to get the ball rolling. Still, I'm not going to chart until we've been at it unsuccessfully for six months. For me I think it would just add to the stress. :wacko:

Oh, I'm not really "zen". I had a bad experience (miscarriage plus extended bed rest, emergency C-section ,etc) so I'm more terrified of being pregnant again. That's the main reason I'm not in a rush. :blush: I'm still revelling in the miracle that is my DS' existence.

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering the same thing today and in fact, I feel like there are two aspects of TTC: 1. learning about exactly what's happening in your body and when, 2. symptom spotting.

IMO #2 is what contributes to a lot of the anxiety in TTC, where #1 I find very enlightening and interesting. In fact, I started out in camp #1 until I started googling TTC stuff and realized others were symptom spotting and started doing the same myself. Merely 2 cycles of symptom spotting added a ton of anxiety and I feel like that should not even be a part of the process UNLESS your cycles are irregular in which case I could definitely understand wanting another signal to test aside from waiting for AF.

I would say you are trying to conceive :thumbup:

I was NTNP with my first son and the way I explained it was that I had no idea about what cycle day I was on, I paid no attention to my cervical mucus or position etc but most importantly I never, not once had sex with the intent of falling pregnant. I only had sex when I truly felt like it and I think that is the definition of NTNP. In saying that, we knew that any given month we 'could' fall pregnant. We ended up conceiving on my 4th cycle off the pill and it just so happened we only had sex once the WHOLE month lol. Hope that helps.

i think its sort of fluid like other posters have mentioned...i consider myself ntnp because we only have sex when we want to. i am keeping track of my period but no temping or checking other fertility signs. i just started my 3rd cycle of bcps so who knows? maybe i'll end up in the actively ttc group if nothing happens in a few months or so! i think if you're more casual about it you lean towards labeling ntnp and the more effort you put in pushes towards actively ttc. however some people think that if you're having unprotected sex, you are trying

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->