What's the easiest way to get an 8 month old to open their mouth???

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by BabyJ'sMummy, Jan 26, 2011.

1. BabyJ'sMummy

BabyJ'sMummy Well-Known Member

My 8 month old is in at absolutely everything!! I keep thinking that I've baby proofed the livingroom and then I catch him picking up the tiniest bit of paper or fluff off of the floor and putting it in his mouth. I'll try and open his mouth but he just clamps his mouth shut! Anyone else had this problem? How do you get them to open their mouths??? x

2. Dopeyjopey

Dopeyjopey Toddlers are fun :)

I just wiggle my finger until it goes in. If he doesn't let me then there isn't much i can do and i figure i hoover often enough for it not to be anything that will do him any harm. Maybe that's not the best opinion to have but short of pinching his nose i don't know what else there is!

3. hivechild

hivechild Mummy to Ronan

I just leave him if it's just a bit of fluff. He spits it out on his own once he realizes it's not food.

If it's something that needs getting out I hold him on his back over my knee so his head is upside down and he tends to open it. Sometimes I apply gentle pressure to either side of his mouth with thumb and finger otherwise.

4. hannahR

hannahR Hollie aged three ttc no2

If i need Hazel to open her mouth then i hold her nose for a second, does the trick!! x

5. BabyJ'sMummy

BabyJ'sMummy Well-Known Member

That sounds like it might work. I know there isn't anything dangerous about the floor but I just always worry anyway, guess it's just being a mummy!! x