what's the longest you've been away from LO?

Genna

Reaction score
I have a class to go to on Saturday which lasts from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm.. 4 hours. I'm leaving Marley with my sister during that time and obviously he'll need a feed or two...or four :dohh: My problem is.. I've tried giving him EBM in a bottle just a handful of times and he has never quite liked it very much, the first time he spat it out and screamed until I latched him on the breast.
I guess I'm just worried since he'll need a few feedings, and because I'm going to be away for the longest I've ever been away, that he'll start to prefer the bottle over me :( I'm going to leave 4 oz. to be fed 1 oz. at a time when he is hungry, and I've showed my sister how to do it to mimic breastfeeding as close as she can...and she has tried it once with about half an oz (all he would take).

What's the longest you've ever left your LO? How did they latch after having the bottle?
Do you think 4 oz. will be enough?
Any tips??

Thank you :hugs:

I haven't left him yet because he won't take the bottle at all and I've kind of decided not to until we start weaning. I'm sure your LO will be fine and I doubt he'll get bottle preference from that short an amount of time x

Have you tried someone else giving him the bottle, with you no where to be seen? Thre's no pint you trying, as you have a perfectly good pair of boobies and he'll just wonder why the hell you aren't giving them too him!!!:dohh:

try going for a relaxing bath while someone else gives him a bottle. He may surprise you!!!
I also found it best if served at body temperature. You're milk is yummy and warm, so make sure it is nice and warm from the bottle.

I left Oliver for a whole day recently, when I went in for an op. Buthe is 9 months old, so it's about time he started to get a little more self suffcient!!!

I think my OH took him for an afternoon about that age. He went ages without feeding, the little bugger, its amazing how they forget to be hungry when they arnt smelling those milky boobies. We always warm the milk and he'll take a bottle off anyone but me. But nothing compares to a nice pair of boobies. I don't think you will have a problem with nipple confusion at that age, we started at 5 weeks. he'd drink more than 1 oz at a time though.

i also left little one for 4hrs at that age with OH.
he would only take EBM if it was the right temp. also left a carton of ready made formula just incase.
he drank all the milk i left. he was given a tiny bit of formula then had a nappy explosion. i returned just after this was cleaned up and he went straight onto boob (more for my relief than because he needed it).

I left archie for 13hrs when he was 7 weeks as i went to a concert... he only needed 3 feeds though as he then went to bed. He was fine.

He wont take a bottle from me because he can smell my milk, but he's fine from hubby/my mum. He doesnt seem to drink as much but he always takes enough so he's not hungry. They're not silly. :winkwink:

When i left him at 7 weeks he drank between 3/6oz each feed though! (This hasnt changed and is still the same now at 3 months)

I've not left Max at all yet. I'm planning on a visit to Tesco tomorrow without him. It'll only be an hour so he won't want a feed.

Interested in the replies to this though. It's a great question.
xx

Only left him for an hour when I went to the doctors. I hated it lol! He didn't need a feed, but we have given him the odd bottle and he has been fine. still perfers mummy's boobies tho :D :D

i am going out on saturday with a group of friends, so will be leaving him for much longer. I'm so nervous that he won't settle at bedtime with out nursing!!

Thanks for all of the replies! I'm sure h'll be fine, it's just mommy getting nervous about leaving :dohh:

So should I leave more than 4 oz?

I would leave a bit more, just to be on the safe side. Mine only takes EBM from the bottle and usually eats between 3 and 4 ozs a feed.

really?? oh my, alright, I'm going to leave 6 oz... Do you think that will be enough? I just really have no clue :dohh:

yeah all the books say they take approx 3oz per feed so i'd prob leave this times how many feeds you are away for.

I would probably leave at least 6oz how many feeds would he normally have in the time your gone ?

My oh usually has Lucas if I have to go to work which is no more than 3-4 hours apart from the other week when it was about 7 hours and I just couldn't wait to get home and see him.

The hardest part is walking out the door, if im with other people then its actually quite nice to get some adult conversation lol but if I have to nip to the shops or go clothes shopping on my own then its not quite the same I constantly feel like ive forgotten something !!!

I left him for the first time yesterday for an hour to do a driving lesson but fed him just before I went so he wouldn't be crying for a feed.

it was awful - for me!! I missed him like crazy. When I got back he'd been fine just sat in his chair happy as Larry didn't miss mummy at all lol. I took him out for a cuddle and he looked for milk straight away - must be able to smell it

i left scott twice now first time he for 4.5 hours and he drank 6.5oz and second during the evening he drank 5oz in 6 hours, I would leave more at leave 6oz maybe in bottles of 2oz? that way there will be less waste should he not want it.

scott wont take the bottle if im in the room

5 hours. I am a wuss when it comes to leaving Brenn. He was old enough not to need nursing while I was out though. :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->