What's the NT ultrasound like?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by Steph32, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Steph32

Steph32 Well-Known Member

I've never had one before, as they didn't offer this screening yet when I was pregnant with DS. So I'm just curious what happens exactly? I know that it is a screen for Down's, but just wondering what the process is. How long is the u/s? Are they just looking at the thickness of the fold, or do they look for other features? Do they give you a pic of baby?

2. ClairAye

ClairAye Mum to one of each!

When I had mine, they just do a normal ultrasound, then measure the 'length' (it looked like width to me?) of this small black line on the back of baby's neck, I can't remember the 'normal' measurements, but they will tell you there, then after that you get a blood sample and wait for your results.

3. BostonGal

BostonGal Well-Known Member

Just had mine this morning and it was great. At my apt, they first had me talk with a genetic counselor for 15 minutes to go over the details of what the test detects and how to interpret results. Then I had the ultrasound part. This lasted about 30 minutes. They measured the distance between the spine and back of neck (NT distance) and checked for the presence of a nasal bone. They also did a more general survey of the anatomy, checking for both arms, legs, hands, feet, heart, brain, etc. The technician explained everything she was looking at so i was able to follow. Then they gave me 6 pictures that were taken during the scan to take home. I don't have my official risk estimate yet because I have to wait for the blood test results, but the nasal bone and the NT measurement were both normal. So the doctor was very positive.

My husband came with me and really enjoyed it. This was his first time seeing the baby on the ultrasound.

4. dgirllamius

dgirllamius Lena's Mutter

I'm hoping to have that done, need to find 150€ first!

How long does the ultrasound take?

5. Liesje

Liesje Well-Known Member

Mine took half an hour and I got two pics, the anatomy scan took about twice as long at 19 weeks

6. MyMomToldMe

MyMomToldMe Well-Known Member

I had mine on Tuesday. I waited a long time at the office, but that was not typical. They messed up.

When we finally got in the room, it was pretty quick. It seemed to take about a half hour, although I kept having to pee (so I am taking that time out).

She looked to see if there were nasal bones (which is something that seems related to downs). I read that you should see two parallel lines and the third nose bone.

She measured the nuchal fold and the crown-to-rump. She also did a bunch of other measurements. She also looked about for cysts and such.

The baby swam around like a sea otter.

We ended up with 5 pictures.

7. Thorpedo11

Thorpedo11 Well-Known Member

I had mine done yesterday. I see that you are in Cali like me. The doctor told me that the normal range they like to see it 1.8-3.0. He said even if it does measure larger than 3.0 doesnt always mean downs. he said that 80% of the time the test is right. The test measures the thickness of the back of the neck. They took 3 different measurement on my baby for the average. mine was (1.4) which is really good. The doctor said from everything he saw my baby and pregnancy is beautiful and very healthy. Good Luck!!!