What's your Christmas Routine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pinkmummy

Chris's family have had this routine sicne they were kids.

They would get up on a morning and open all the presents then they would get ready and go to one of the sister's houses (his 4 aunty's used to take turns each year) and they would all open their presents off each other. Then they would go home and have dinner and stay in for the rest of the day.

The first year we had Caitlin we went to his cousin's house (all the kids are grown up now, so the sisters said to go the kid's houses instead) we then went to Chris's mam's for lunch then to my dads after lunch and had sandwiches for tea then hoem at 6. So basically we were out of the houe from 9am - 6pm on Christmas day!

I said last year that I think it's unfair that we have to trail Caitlin out all day Christmas day when it should be our family day coz we have our own family now and it was his mam and aunties tradition's not ours.

This year everyone is coming to our house and Chris's mam is coming to ours to make dinner too and we're not going out all day.

Anybody else spend all day at other people's houses?

Am I just being selfish wanting to start our own traditions and staying at home with just our family. Surely if MIL or my parents want to see us then they can come to us, they don't have kids to trail about. :hissy:

Oh I hear you!

I have the problem that my mum and dad are divorced, my dad remarried but they are ona break but still together(yes its confusing!) and OH mum and dad stay about a 40 min drive away(plus they get drunk and she smokes like a chimney!) so last year we spent xmas morning together then headed out to my mums in the evening(my brother had spent the morning with her) then boxing day at my dads, then newyears day with OH folksfor a delayed xmas as his brother had been away for christmas.

This year I wouldlove to stay at home and donothing but watch tv and be with OH...but I worry that my folks spend xmas day alone and I would ahve them over but we are in a small flat so not much room.

Hopefully next year we will be in a house and our little blob will be about 7 months so family can come to us and cook!:rofl:

Emma.xx

Looks like Im not the only one then lol.

When I was little we never had any sort of routine.

But Chris's family go to his dads side of the family on boxing day then on New Years Day his mams sister puts on a buffet and has the 'snowman' (which is filled with presents) for everyone too

My Routine
Christmas morning wake up early really early 8ish Lol go down stairs have a cup of tea
open presents , Take a shower put on my new clothers , Head to my parents house where we have christmas dinner give presents we then go to the local pub have a few merry drinks see friends there and we go back for dinner at 3pm

we have dinner at my mums mum does the table lovely we have xmas music playing in the background
we have some champayne being christmas Lol and we have some desert we all pull crackers and tell the silly jokes in them Lol then we have a nice cup of tea ,

Me and dh head home we stay in christmas night watch all the movies on the tv eat goodies and we have a turkey salad more turkey burk burk :rofl:

Boxing day we go to dh's mums but this year there going to stay in a log cabin for all over xmas think thats what there called somthing like that Lol

So boxing day i will be going the cemetery in the morning
i will be going christmas eve to hang there stockings :(

we always go bowling in the afternoon not sure wether to do a dinner on this day this year or eat out on boxing day ,

We then go home take showers get ready for later in the evening when me and dh go on the town and have a great night ,

New years eve It My Birthday :happydance:

we always went to my nannas for a big family christmas dinner when we were kids. but as the family got bigger we stayed at home instead.

i just stay at home all day now. Dont think its fair dragging the kids all over on xmas day, nicole just wants to stay in and play with her new toys.

I agree with that one when you have kids they want to play with there new toys
so its not fair to be takin them everywhere its there day santas been so there all excited
to play with them , They dont know what one to play with for the best Lol
going by experiance from both my sisters children

When i go to the local for a few hrs christmas day you see woman bringing there little ones even young babies in car seats its so unfair

When I was a kid my Dad worked nights so we would get up and open our stockings, then wait for him to get home to open the presents...then church. My sister and I would wake up around 4am or so and sneak out to look at all the presents...that was fun! Now on Christmas Eve DH's family gets together and goes to church then meets at someomes (ours this year) house to open presents to eachother. My Mom (Dad is in prison ATM) comes over on Christmas day and spends it with us. The past two years my sister came up with her husband for the holiday, but they are going to be moving and she'll be 7 months pregnant and they have an 18 month old, so no coming up this year.

This year we're at OHs mum and dad's - live 400 miles away so we do turn about. Next year, we'll be at home for most of the day before going to my dad's for xmas dinner. Boxing day will be spent at my mum's

we get up in the morning son opens pressys then go to oh mums &dads then to mine mum&dads as mine live 30min away then back home for xmas dinner and wach tv and play with new toys boxing day go to my m&d's or oh's for dinner

we too have never really have a routine as such - i always spend it with my mum, dad nan and gramps when i was little ad right up till i met james, then he just slotted in with us and we do what we always do really, though have popped over to james is parents in the past. this year is different with maddi and we are MUCH closer to my family than james' (me and james actually lived with my mum dad nan and gramps before we brought our own home) so this year i think we will be going 'home', our second home at mum and dads and spend it there with our lovely princess, though i agree once she's older i don't really want to go out. mums left it open to me wheather we spend it at ours or her's, we'll both cook together so it doesn't matter and we live less than half a mile away in the same village :)

its so hard caitlins mummy trying to please everyone - hope it works out ok for you honey :hugs:

Well OH has now told me that his mum doesn't want to make lunch at our house. He didn't say why, but I've told that I've had enough of all these traditions etc. I said that we now have a family of our own to consider. My mum and dad and his mum and dad don't have little kiddies to trail about on Christmas day so they can come to us from now on.

I've told him I'm making dinner and if people want to come to our house they can but we are not trailing out anymore it's too much hassle.

The first year we had Caitlin she was 2 months old, we were out of the house from 9am - 6pm that night! Just because of visiting family and I'm not doing it this year, its not fair on Caitlin xx

I agree with the kids issue. It's fine when it's the first Christmas and they're tiny but when they're old enough to understand that they have new presents to play with, it's just not fair to take them away from all the new toys!

Me and my hubby usually split up on Christmas day. I go to my mums he has his parents here. We have said that once baby is here we won't be doing that and if people want to see us they can come here. This year is slightly different as I am pregnant and its hubbys first year without his mum, so we are staying home together and his dad coming here then off to my mums on boxing day. The following year we are staying here and hopefully can persuade ppl to come to ours. If they say no tough on them as it is more important for us to be a family in our own home on her first Christmas!

Also now you have a family, you should make your own traditions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"