What's your opinions on dopplers?

MrsHedgehog

Reaction score
I'm quite an anxious person and spent the whole of my last pregnancy worrying something was wrong. I'm now 10 weeks into my second pregnancy and am again really anxious, especially since I had some quite heavy bleeding at 6 weeks. I'm wondering if a doppler would help to make me less anxious or if it would only make me more worried if I couldn't find a heartbeat. I'm worried I'll drive myself mad constantly checking the heartbeat. I'm not so anxious that I think I need any help/medication. It's not that bad, I just often have little niggly worries. How do you feel, has a doppler helped you to get over these worries?

I bought mine last time round and it made me relax, I went onto YouTube first so I knew how to find the heartbeat and then checked whenever I was worried or hadn't felt any movement. I bought mine second hand and it was a sonoline b, worth every penny!

I loved mine w/ my first pregnancy. Once I finally found DD's heartbeat... it was such a reassurance and so cool hearing her moving around in there too (usually kicking the doppler lol).
Waiting to get it back from SiL that borrowed it for her pregnancy.

I bought one. It's actually at my post office today. It's definitely going to help to ease my worries!

I've tried a few times, but haven't had any luck. I'm only 8w3d so hopefully i'll find something in a few weeks!

I loved mine in the first trimester. I just bought a cheap one from amazon but once I'd got the hang of it it was fine.

It's a really individual thing. I find they ease my worries but others I know found it made them more anxious, especially as it can be tricky to find the HB sometimes. If you can cope with the fact it might take a while to find without getting panicked then I'd say go for it.

I just bought one and it was delivered today but first attempt I couldn't find the heartbeat. I'm trying not to let it worry me (I'm coming up to 11 weeks) and will try again but sort of concerned it is going to worry me more if I keep not finding a heartbeat. The women on youtube make it look so easy!

I'm 10w 3d. I bought one and it turned up last week. (Sonoline b) We used it last week but heard nothing. I used it last night and just about caught baby's heartbeat. I moved it a fraction and lost it. If you're going to buy one keep in mind that you are looking for something the size of a little grape or thereabouts so may not always find the hb. I must say though it was amazing hearing it for the first time! Especially as I've still got to wait 2 weeks for my first scan. X

I didn't have one with my daughter & won't be getting one with this baby either. I totally get it helps some people be less anxious though. I'd love to know daily my little one is doing ok in there but id rather leave him/her be plus id panic if I couldn't hear the heartbeat!

For those that have one.... look a lot farther down than you think you should go. Like right at or below the bikini line. And yeah, keep in mind baby is still very tiny and has a lot of room to move around and avoid being heard on the doppler ;)

I've got a sonoline b one and it really has helped keep me sane. I've heard the heartbeat from 10 weeks and now I've got the hang of it I can find it quite easily! My scan is on Friday and I think I'd be driving myself nuts if I didn't have it.

I rented one with my first pregnancy because I had been spotting at 6 weeks and even though I had an early scan that showed everything was fine I wanted to have something to ease my fears in between appointments. I loved having it and used it quite a lot up til about 24 weeks and then again towards the end of my pregnancy.

I am thinking about renting one again if I can get the same deal as I had last time, I haven't completely made my mind up yet though as I haven't discussed it with my partner and I'm not sure what he would think about having one.

I absolutely love mine. I have a Sonoline B and it has been a life saver for me!

I have a hibebe one that flashes a heart when it finds the hb. In my last pregnancy it was flashing a hb that was the right speed for baby but I later found out I had had a mmc and that was after the baby had stopped growing so it was obviously picking up something else that was the same speed. I feel it offered me false hope so I won't be using it this time around. I guess my experience isn't that common and I know other people find them helpful but for me I don't feel I could get reassurance from it after that experience.

I have a sonoline B and think it was worth every penny too. Last pregnancy I was totally paranoid and it helped immensely. This time (ironically) I'm not as paranoid, but after my 7 week scan showed there was a baby and HB in there I decided to try to find it on the doppler. I couldn't find it the first time, but when I tried a couple of days later with a full bladder I was able to find it.

It won't always be in the same spot as they do move around and even very slight adjustments can make a big difference, so you need to go slowly and methodically. A full bladder helps push your uterus up a little (which is why they want them full for early abdominal scans), so it can help if you are trying before 12 weeks.

:flower:

I am buying one from a friend, Angelcare I think it is, but I don't plan on using it til later in pregnancy to listen before bed or whatever, be lovely to hear. Used to look forward to those few seconds at midwife appts! xx

Loved mine last time and have just ordered one for this time! My placenta was on the front an I didn't feel many movements with my first so used it well into the second tri. Loved hearing baby and feeling her kick the Doppler! Lol

I'd never get one, it would cause so much anxiety!

My midwife told me that in her experience, and from her talking with other midwives about it too, that it
's not good to be obsessively using a Doppler. They dont even recommned u/s unless theres an actual medical reason for it (besides just reassurance)

Why? She says that fetuses often try to 'escape' from the source of the sound waves.. shes seen babys put up their arms in front of their faces, or try to wriggle or swim away.. and when they get too big to get away, she says they grimace during the scans... so because the babys dont like them, she doesnt like them either.
I had no idea this was even an issue with sonography, and even though I too am paranoid about how my baby is doing in there, I already had one u/s at 6.5 weeks, everything was great, so Im just going to be patient... I mean, even just 50 years ago and beyond into ancient times women didnt have the luxury of a doppler or u/s everytime they freaked out over some little symptom, so if they made it, Im sure we will all make it too.

What will happen, will happen regardless of knowing about it or not, and it really helps stress levels when you just accept somethings are beyond your ken and just relax.

BUT all the same, its a personal decision for every woman, and even though I've lost several pregnancies and have every right to be worried during this one, Im going to just surrender to fate and take everything one day at a time.

Good luck to you all, no matter what your decision :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->