What's your take on tuna?

Princesskell

Love my 2 babies
Reaction score
Trying to get my body ready for ttc and looking into what foods are best avoided. Read lots about mercury in tuna, but read you can still eat 2portions a week. What does everyone else think?

If something is dangerous, should you be eating any of it? I really am obsessed with tuna though! Have it loads! Forget quitting smoking, Im trying to give up and really getting withdrawals!!

What else do I need to avoid from now?

X

My doctor told me with my first pregnancy that I could eat tuna but in limited amounts, twice a week at most. I think during my entire pregnancy I had it maybe a half dozen times. A certain level of mercury doesn't do harm.

Forgot to answer the second part of your post. :) As to what else to avoid I can't think of much (other types of seafood that are high in mercury?) unless you are used to drinking a lot or something, then I'd recommend stopping or at least dialing it down.

Oh good! Giving up tuna altogether would be like quitting chocolate for me! I know I'm a wierdo!

Don't drink much or smoke so that should be ok!

X

i dont actually like fish but i worry about the baby not having the right minerals etc because i dont eat fish

Pate is something else and liver that they recomend you don't have while you're pregnant.

Yeah I was going to say pate and liver. Also I was told by my mw to avoid runny eggs which I found hard as I love dippy eggs with soldiers!

Also any unpasturised cheeses eg Brie etc. Shellfish etc. Uncooked meats etc too like Parma ham.

Also I really missed steak as I like my steak medium and that isn't allowed either. But generally most things are allowed in moderation. if there's anything you're totally addicted to no matter how 'safe' then I'd try to cut down a bit as my mw told me that too much of something could actually cause your baby to develop an allergy to it.

But there's definitely no reason why you'd need to give up tuna!

X

i dont actually like fish but i worry about the baby not having the right minerals etc because i dont eat fish

So a little bit of tuna may actually be good? It's so confusing!! Only had 2servings last week so am doing really well!

Added the rest to my list-thank you!

X

A lot of people take fish oil supplements. I believe it's the omega-3 oils that are in fish that you're body needs.

So a little bit of tuna may actually be good? It's so confusing!! Only had 2servings last week so am doing really well!

Added the rest to my list-thank you!

X

It is recommend to have 2 helpings of fish per week while TTC and while pregnant.
Just google some dietary recommendations for pregnancy and then you'll find all sorts of helpful info.

I read that you shouldn't eat much chocolate and that you shouldn't drink coffee. That will be super hard for me as I love coffee :)

Yeah somebody mentioned that dark chocolate is not so bad so you could eat a little of that :laugh2:

Whaaaaaaat? Really giving up chocolate? Or is it just being careful with calories?? I've never heard that before!

X

Chocolate is not good for you during pregnancy (or so the grapevine says). Something to do with the caffeine in it I think.

Oh god, this is going to be harder than I thought! What if you don't drink any tea or coffee could I have a bit if chocolate??

X

I think a little probably wouldnt damage the baby and I read that a little is safe. For example hersheys chocolate has about 10 mg of caffeine and you should avoid having more then 200 mg of caffeine if you are pregnant. A little would be ok so you wouldn't totally have to avoid it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"