When and how to brush babies teeth?

Savannah11

Love my boys xxx
Reaction score
My LO cut his two bottom teeth about a week ago so they are still growing but there nearly done so I'm wondering when and how I should brush them? With toothpaste? And a toothbrush? How would I get the toothpaste out of his mouth? :blush: sorry if these are silly questions! Xx

When luke only had a couple of teeth we did them once a day at bath time, yes with a tooth brush (a baby one) and tooth paste, baby toothpaste is designed with the fact they'regoing to eat it In mind!

If it's just one tooth what I use to do was wipe it over with a face washer when he was in the bath - there is no need for scrubbing IMO with just one or two teeth, a wash cloth will brush any food/plaque off - I was told this by a dental technician. After they have 3 or more you can just use a brush with some water on it. We didn't introduce toothpaste to dylan until he was 12 months. If you get the baby toothpaste it is weaker than normal adult one so it won't hurt them to swallow it (trust me they do!) - Dylan loves the taste, it's also lower in foam, so it doesn't really foam up much in their mouth...
Introduce a baby toothbrush now though, give it to bub to get him use to the feel of the bristles on his gums

^^ agreed with neyney. When my dd only had i few teeth i just cleaned then with a washcloth. That is how her doc told me to clean them. I did introduce her to tooth paste until she really got into the whole teeth brushing thing. I started using the tooth brush when she got i think 4 on top and 4 on bottom too. Now she loves brushing her teeth and does it without me telling her too!!

I buy soft toothbrushes and just make a game out of it. You can 'brush' their gums before teeth, to help them get used to it. Kelana loves getting her teeth brushed (she only has a few)..we just make it fun. We have always used flouride toothpaste, which is recommended here, but not everywhere...some places water has fluride in it...it doesn't here. I use a smear...not baby, just regular. I brush twice a day - always. My kids...all of them, have never had a cavity. Kelana will be seeing the dentist starting in the summer...which is normal here. My kids see a pediatric dentist every 6mths.

We just use water and a toothbrush as our water has fluoride here. I was advised not to use toothpaste till 18 months - 2 years as swallowing toothpaste isnt great for them with stuff thats in it so once u can teach them to spit it out its ok :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->