When are they old enough to play in their own room

HPmum2B

Reaction score
Following on from a thread about where everyone keeps the toys in their house, my question is, when did/do you feel your LO is old enough to play in their own room unsupervised. I guess this question is more aimed at people living in a house rather than a flat/apartment, so the child would be on a different floor to you.

My LO is only just over a year old, so we have a while yet, but I do dream of the day at least some of her toys can go upstairs. lol.

My little boy is old enough he just won't play on his own!!

I don't live in a house but if I did I'd still have let her play in her room unsupervised from about 15ish months like I have done (but like you said its different in a flat when you're all on the same floor)

George plays upstairs in the bedroom when his big brother is up there, but day time we play downstairs together. He doesnt mind playing by himself but I feel sad at the thought of him in his bedroom playing all alone at this age :wacko:

Tom started playing on his own in his room around 3 but he muh prefers playing downstairs where we are so most of his toys are still down here. He's one left on his own for a short time now and does sometimes take himself off for quiet time.

Both my girls (3.5 and 19 months) go upstairs together and play without me. We have wooden floors so you can always hear them. Also helps that they dont know how to talk to one another without shouting/shrieking/yelling at one another.

It typically lasts 20 minutes before one comes downstairs moaning - "muuuum, Maci took my figure off me" or "mummy, mummy, mummy... Mummer bad".

Both my girls (3.5 and 19 months) go upstairs together and play without me. We have wooden floors so you can always hear them. Also helps that they dont know how to talk to one another without shouting/shrieking/yelling at one another.

It typically lasts 20 minutes before one comes downstairs moaning - "muuuum, Maci took my figure off me" or "mummy, mummy, mummy... Mummer bad".

This is interesting, I have another baby on the way, and there will be 16 months between them, so hopefully when the younger one is around your younger ones age, mine will play upstairs a bit too, as they will have each other for company.

About three - after 15 minutes something gets crashed bashed or thumped so they are usually split then x

This is interesting, I have another baby on the way, and there will be 16 months between them, so hopefully when the younger one is around your younger ones age, mine will play upstairs a bit too, as they will have each other for company.

They usually only go together... if just one goes up then they're up to no good.

Bad mummy but I must admit when I hear them thumping back down the stairs I think "damn... peace over". I'm usually cleaning up the toys downstairs when they go upstairs!

Mines been going up since he turned 2 I'd say. Hes nearly 4 now, we keep a lot of his toys upstairs and soem down, but all his small stuff Is upstairs and things he doesn't want his brother to break. He loves going up to play in his room and I like providing that soace for him

Houses here don't usually have an upstairs, so from about 2 I would be fine with either playing alone.

As soon as they wanted to really. I don't think my youngest really wanted to stay upstairs without me before around 18 months old, although I would leave her for a minute to go and get washing to bring back upstairs or something. My 4 year old will happily spend an hour upstairs now (we only have teddies and books upstairs) - she likes to have some quiet time away from her sister. My 2 year old will go and read in her bed/make a tent under the covers but she gets fed up/lonely after about 10 minutes and asks to come downstairs. They sometimes want to play upstairs together but I usually have to separate them after about 10 minutes!

Hannah is 5 and still very rarely goes upstairs on her own :lol: it's just her personality really, she doesn't like being alone. sometimes she'll go up for 15-20 minutes though to draw or color in peace (ie without Rhys attempting to "help" her)

I would let LO play in her own room at this age but not on another floor of the house. It doesn't matter though, she wants to be with mom all the time anyway :haha:

Once LO was able to crawl and/or walk off into her playroom. We did have a camera in there for a while though- and would make sure to remove the toys we thought could cause an issue (harm)- obvioulsy they can trip on their own feet and hurt themselves, but we just did what made sense for her at eatch age/stage. Now- we moved the 2nd video monitor to her bedroom- since converting to a toddler bed-- her play room is downstairs so we can hear what is going on when she's in there-- and her other play area is in the open concept dining area- so we can keep an eye on her. But in general, I trust her well enough to go off on her own- or if I need to run upstairs for something she's Ok downstairs on her own for a bit. She's usually good about not getting "into mischeif"- but, again, it's all dependent on her current stage ;)

Mine play alone or together in their rooms - they are 3 and 2. Both rooms are babyproofed (bureaus bolted to walls, outlets plugged etc.) and we have monitors in both rooms so I can hear what they are up to. Generally they play in their rooms for about 15-20 minutes while I take a shower (so I am upstairs also). I keep the monitors on and their doors closed with the childproof knob on the inside so my youngest can't open it. My oldest can open the doors and will come tell me if they are arguing about something or need something, and I keep the gate latched at the top of the stairs just in case. They have been doing this for over a year now, but at that time my youngest played in her crib while I showered. She's only had free reign of her whole room since about 20 months or so. Very occasionally they will ask me if they can go upstairs to play in their rooms and I allow them to, but that usually only lasts 5-10 minutes because they'd rather be playing with me.

Thomas started going into his room at 2 years old. He's 26 months now and I can get 10-20 minutes of him in his room before he's done and wants me.

My eldest was around 2.5years when he'd go up and play on his own. He has always quite happily played up there on his own for well over 30min-he will pop up and down frequently, usually for food!
Esther is nearly 4 and rarely does but that's because she prefers to be near me.

Jamie plays in his room on his own from just before he was 3... Leo sometimes joins him but we are in a flat so I'm literally like next door to his room so I can hear what's going on (I don't really watch tv so it's nice a quiet apart from Jamie's own TV) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->