When are you announcing the news?

bee0633

Reaction score
I am struggling with when to tell people, I know you typically wait until the beginning of the second trimester however...
a) Im super excited
b) we have been ttc for 3 years
c)my first pregnancy was a miscarriage and if my family wasn't there to support me through that (lost at 5 weeks.. didn't find out until 9 weeks and they already knew I was pregnant at 6 weeks)... it would have been a lot more difficult
d) my SIL is pregnant and due 3 weeks before me and she feels super guilty bc she was not ttc and the struggles I have gone though

however...
a) last time I told my in laws at 6 weeks and my FIL gave me a lecture that it was too early for me to share that with him (however my SIL just told him at 6 weeks and hew as super excited for her)

when has everyone else announced their news? opinions?

I really want to tell everyone now too! Last time I told my mum and in-laws at 4 weeks and rest of family at 8 weeks so it's weird I haven't told anyone this time. I was planning on waiting until my 12 wk scan but my mum is visiting in about 2 weeks so I will just tell her then (rather do it in person as she lives abroad)
How many weeks are you now? I think if your comfortable telling family now then you should, I would if I saw mine everyday ☺

I think you should tell people when you want, whether it's 10 minutes after you saw the bfp or 6 months. I get that some people wait bc of the risk of miscarriage (I get that as I had 3 before dd), but whatever you are comfortable with, then go with it. I told my sister about 20 seconds after I saw the bfp and my mom after I saw the heartbeat at 6weeks, and everyone else when it became obvious (between 24 and 26 weeks) when I saw them. No formal announcement.

If FIL says it's too early to tell, I'd ask him why. If you don't think it's too early, then why should anyone you tell question that? Would he not want to support you if you lost the pregnancy? Surely he would. You and your SIL could be having so much fun right now discussing the soon to be cousins!

A lot of people find it odd to divulge the news so early on, but it's not their choice. It's what you want and how comfortable you feel about it.

I told my parents, siblings, and in-laws right away. Best support however this pregnancy turns out. Mind you, I actually spotted and was scared at 6 weeks 3 days-- on and off for 1 week-- but I was ok with the people I told, I knew I'd have their unconditional love should the worst happen. Glad to say I'm 9 weeks and baby had a really strong HB, I've heard it 2xs. I heard it the first time at 6 weeks 5 days due to the spotting and the baby and HB were fine!

I've just announced to everyone else!

If it helps, my cousin just announced at different times to different people. Her bf's family doesn't believe in announcing before 13w. My family is like tell us when you're taking the test lol. So we all knew right away but kept it off of social media. She told them once she was confirmed passed 13w (we had a hunch she was second tri given her bump/irregular post partum cycles but she wanted to be sure before she told them). Then once they knew we could talk about it on social media.

For me, told my bff as soon as I knew for support. Told my family at 7ish weeks. Told SO at 13. Told work at 14 (I wanted to keep waiting but I was already showing and it was too hard to hide). Told social media after I told work.

I think it's a very personal decision and there's no wrong answer. I'm pregnant with my first and I told my parents the day I knew, the in-laws a few days later and a handful of close friends soon after that (all before I was 5 weeks I believe).

Now, I'm going through some potential complications and super nervous BUT do not regret telling any of them. They've been a tremendous support and I can't imagine having to deal with this on my own (especially since DH travels a lot). I also can't imagine pretending this baby doesn't exist with my closest friends and family. It just wouldn't feel right to me, s/he deserves to be celebrated, even if it ends badly.

Long story short: do what's best for you!! Good luck :)

Agree with all the above - whenever you want too basically. The 12 week thing is an understandable 'rule' people seem to follow but there is ansoloutely no reason too if you don't want too. I told my parents at 5 weeks (we had a few days of being excited just the two of us) & my OH parents, brother & sister at 8 weeks as they don't live nearby & that was our first opportunity to tell them in person. I told my two closest friends at 6 weeks. I honestly couldn't have made it through the first trimester without their support. Or them noticing to be honest as I was so sick!

Oh and I told my manager at work at 6 weeks as I was so unwell. I felt it was just easier to tell him rather than make up excuses for my absence or sudden dip in my performance!

I waited until after our 12 week scan to tell anyone this time. When I told my mum early last time she said 'Oh so it's still early days.' Which was a bit of a downbeat reaction for me. I then went on to have my second miscarriage after telling her, almost proving her right. :growlmad:

We had a successful pregnancy after that though and a scan at 7 weeks which showed a heartbeat, so with that pregnancy I told mum at 8 weeks, and everyone else after the 12 week scan.

This time I wanted people to be happy and excited for me, and I didn't want to be saying 'but we haven't had a scan yet.' and downplaying our news. So we waited until after our first scan at 12 weeks and told everyone after that.

xx

Just tell your SIL maybe and tell her to keep it to herself until you've had some scans owing to previous loss x

My parents always guess by 6w, so I can't hide it. But I didn't tell my in laws until 24w last time!

My first pregnancy at 5wks my mom,dad,aunt, mil and my boss (as I was leaving work a lot for sickness). Everyone else at 12 weeks. Sort of the same this time but added my SIL, and co-workers who it's hard to hide my symptoms from. This was at 6wks. Everyone else we will tell after 12wks.

Just do what you feel is right for you there's no right or wrong with announcing it, I think it's just more your comfort level with it.

I tell people I'm close to straight away because if it goes wrong, they'll be the ones picking up the pieces ifswim!

This time around was a surprise pregnancy, I was with my best friend when I took the test 'just in case' so she knew before anyone else. Then I rang my mum crying about it then my OH. Then I was supposed to be having my hen do next weekend so I had to tell everyone invited the reason why (I saw no reason to lie). My in laws will be told when we see them and I will tell work when I feel I can no longer hide it (I'm in a new job).

Apart from SO I've only told 1 friend so far (only because she rang me the day she got her BFP so it only felt right to do the same)

Apart from that I'll be telling my parents and other close friends after the 12 week scan.

I don't intend to tell work until after 20weeks depending on how long it takes for bump to start showing. I won't be announcing anything on facebook until 6 months.

I tell my family as soon as I get a BFP. Anyone I consider to be family - best friends, my mom, and my sister. My in-laws (after we told them at 4 weeks with my first, and my FIL's wife responded that she was praying for me to mc) don't get to find out until we're almost ready to tell other friends and extended family. We've told friends/extended family at different times with each pregnancy... 6 weeks with my first (18 months TTC and was just too excited to keep in it), 9 with my second (after we told OH's cousin and she posted it on my Facebook :wacko:... I planned on telling at 14 weeks), 20 weeks with my third (since my second-born was 2 months when we conceived, and I wanted him in the spotlight for as long as possible), 14 weeks with my fourth (waited until I could wait no longer!), and 16 weeks with this one (since another friend of mine announced when I was 13 weeks, I waited for her to have a whole month to shine, although 2 of her friends announced days after her. She's due 2 weeks before me).

Just make sure that when you announce, it's when YOU'RE ready. My advice is to wait until you feel confident in the pregnancy. That way, you don't have that extra pressure of others knowing. However, you do need a support system from the very beginning.

You should announce when you feel comfortable/happy to!

We waited till 12 weeks to tell parents and siblings, everyone else we told after the 20 week scan and to avoid the boy/girl questions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->