When can I add a second meal? (TW)

Discussion in 'Weaning & Nutrition' started by peanut56, Mar 28, 2011.

1. peanut56

peanut56 Mom to Hana & pregnant!

We've been doing TW for 5 days now. I give her a bottle first thing in the morning, then an hour or so later, I give her food (we did rice cereal for 3 days, and have now done 2 days of oat cereal). Is it too soon to add a second meal? She's been extra hungry since we started weaning, and I'm wondering if maybe she coincidentally hit a growth spurt at the same time as the weaning started...
    When did you add a second meal? And which meal did you add? Lunch? Dinner?
    Thanks for the help! :flower:

2. anna matronic

anna matronic Mummy to Evan :-)

I added breakfast after 2 weeks :)

3. Babydreams321

Babydreams321 Well-Known Member

Hi ya honey!!

We started TW last week too...Harry had three days of baby rice at lunch and took to it really well so the last two days Harry has had carrot puree for lunch & the baby rice at dinner... so hes already on two small meals a day..

Baby weaning books say different things, my Annabel karmel suggests to start a 2nd meal 2 weeks down the line, whilst another one I use for reference suggests what im doing; shuffling the food to tea time when youre confident theres no allergic reaction...i.e. tomorrow i plan to try Harry on parsnip so in theory according to this book, i should move the carrot to tea time.... however i plan to keep doing porridge or baby rice for tea for a couple of weeks & try different fruit & veggies every couple of days so he has a good mixture of things!!

so..do what u think ur little one is happy with!!

Oh & strangely enough my LO has been hungrier since starting weaning too..ive always struggled to get more than 4oz per feed down him in the day time...however now seems to be draining 5/6oz bottles as WELL as two small meals a day :0) Happy days!!

4. GossipGirly

GossipGirly 1 DD (2) 1DS (1) and PG

just go with your gut, I was on 1 meal a day for a few weeks due to pure lazyness then went to 2 meals a day and then a week later upped it to 3 as she wantes our tea and looked at us as if to say where's mine? as long as baby is drinking all their milk its fine.

5. kmac625

kmac625 Mom to baby Clara

We started with cereal at dinner and then added some veg at dinner too. After about a week and a half or so I added in breakfast as well and then at a month we started lunch on her pediatrician's advice.