When can I stop cyclogest (progesterone)?

doodlegirl

Reaction score
How long is it necessary to take Cyclogest? I will be 12 weeks on wednesday and I thought its only for first trimester. My consultant appointment is 20.10. so I will know then but I was just wondering if I could stop already. I am tempted to ring them tomorrow and try to get an answer. the reason I want to know is as I am still having pretty bad pg symptoms and I am hoping some are due to the meds. I obviously will not stop anything without doctor's permission.

Sorry you don't feel well.

I would call and ask if it may be causing or increasing some symptoms, and when they feel you can stop. The placenta should take over supporting the baby at the close of the first trimester, so you may be nearing time to step off it. I take progesterone still (starting week 11 here), but last week the Ob/gyn knocked that down to once per day from 3x a day, through week 12. Near instant relief from the irritation I was experiencing. Not sure if they mean take through day 1 of week 13.

Hi doodle girl . I was on utrogestan (progesterone pessaries) once per day (200mg) I'm in Switzerland by the way!
I went for a scan at 12 weeks and he said stop. I asked if I should taper it down and he said no it's fine, just stop.
......but I had 5 left and must admit I have used them every other day to 'wean off them' I was too scared to just stop!
I have heard many other people in England be told to continue until 13-14 weeks!
Obviously go on whatever your doc tells you!
I haven't had any sickness etc just suffer from really bad pelvic/buttock pains but since stopping the progesterone my boobs have become much sorer and had some headaches that didn't have before! Maybe coincidence!!! Can't comment on other symptoms, sorry, as don't really have them
Good luck x

I'm in the UK and my consultant put me on cyclogest progesterone) suppositories 400mg daily and according to the letter he sent to my GP I'm to keep taking it until 24 weeks :shrug:

Hi there,
I am in uk and I stopped with both pregnancies at beginning of 13th week as that is wen placenta has taken over :)
Xx

Thank you ladies, I decided not to call and just carry on till the appointment. I will be 13+5 and will be after my nt scan. I generally hate taking any meds and find this pg very hard to cope with. I am hoping second tri will be a bit easier. I took my first off sick day today and feel like I would be so much more relaxed not working. in my country if u r over 35 you automatically are sifned off, sick pay is also more than this SSP here in england, also maternity leave is 3-4 years (u can choose). Young working families are definitely not supported enough in england and now they are talkibg about increasing taxes!!! oh gosh. see how im weird, going from progesterone to moaning about government lol.

I was so nervous about stopping Cyclogest so asked for blood tests every other day to check my levels while I slowly weaned myself off them. I stopped completely by about 14 weeks. Good luck x x x

Wait.. your maternity leave is 3-4 years?? Is that paid? o_O
We get one year paod maternity leave in Germany and up to three not paid and you won't be able to keep your job.

I have to take progesterone until 14 weeks for now for a subchorionic hematoma. They make me sleepy every time I take them.

This thread is so old.... not sure why it was brought back up?!

Yeah, typically revived threads are from people seeing the thread and having the same issue so asking for an update.. so not sure why there was a comment of "good luck" on a year old thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->