When can pets tell your pregnant?

Pulirula

Reaction score
We have 4 cats and a dog. All except one of the cats are acting normal. The one cat however is being quite weird towards me. He's never been a cuddle monster but he has been waking me up to pet him and laying next to my belly. He takes his face and presses it into my hands. Idk if this is a normal thing? Does he smell the baby or something? He's an older tom cat and now I'm worried about how he will be with a baby in the house.

My pets have never cared if I'm pregnant or not! I've had both my dog and my cat through all my pregnancies and they haven't shown one bit of care for the pregnancy, just kept going on like normal. I don't think all pets notice or if they do they just keep right on going like normal.

My cats and one of my current dogs are extra clingy/loving when I'm pregnant. Before my other dog passed away last year, he was also extra attentive when I was pregnant with my first (in 2014). I think they know early on and some of them are sensitive enough to respond differently to you.

This is more gross, but my buck goat could tell when I was ovulating and would try to sniff/lick at my crotch when I was in his pen during that time in my cycle. Since I've been pregnant, even though he's still in rut, he has shown zero interest in my nether region (which is fine by me!).

My dog was very affectionate right from the start when I was pregnant with my first, but he didn't care with my second, lol.

My dog won't quit follow me around this time. The first time she had a phantom pregnancy, this time she will cry to be with me. Starting to drive me mad now. Lol

They can smell the difference as our hormones start to change. Some pets don't care - at least until they feel you're vulnerable. Some pets think they need to take care of you right away. My boxer dog started being extra clingy with me before I even thought to test for pregnancy (as this pregnancy was a surprise). He used to sleep in the hallway at night so he could check in on my kids throughout the middle of the night, but one day, my chocolate lab started sleeping in the kids' room (I guess to keep an eye on them), and my boxer started snuggling with me in my bed.

This is my third pregnancy since adopting my boxer, and he knew right at implantation every time. He gets more and more protective of me as the pregnancy goes on. I know when my hormones start to change near the end because he will no leave my side for more than a few minutes, and if he goes outside to pee with someone else, he will come rushing in to make sure I'm still okay. Haha. Poor dog stresses himself out trying to nurse me when I'm pregnant.

My dogs also protect the babies, but that just means sleeping beside their cribs or peeking in on them frequently. Some companies make cat nets to keep cats out of the crib if necessary, but they're only safe until your baby can stand up.

I have a feeling that once the baby is home and starts crying he'll be like "yup. That thing sucks" and keep his distance lol. I think he just senses the difference in me and doesn't know what to do.

That's awesome about your dog. My lab doesn't seem to care much. He's always been clingy to me so I don't notice a difference.

My Nan's dog was the reason I took my first pregnancy test. It wouldn't leave me alone when I went to visit and usually just sits in another room. Even when I was in the next room it wouldn't take its eyes off me. That prompted my nan to say the only other person she's done that with is my now 31 week pregnant cousin so I should take a test! She was right!

I definitely think my pets have noticed. I'm only ~11 weeks right now, but my dogs have both been more likely to rest their heads on my stomach, and one of my cats has been laying on my stomach sometimes as well. My minpin seems more protective of me, too, but maybe that's just in my head. :p

My cat is a ginger tom, only about 8 months old, but he constantly meows at me until I let him sleep on my belly now, since about 7 weeks XD but I'm there for hours and he hates it when I get up!!

My cat is the same way. She was affectionate before, would typically sleep at the foot of my bed but from before I even tested she has insisted on sleeping on my face, constantly meows and purrs until I pet her and follows literally in between my feet as I walk. She's also noticed the absence of my husband and my depression and I believe she's also trying to comfort me with that. Idk what I would do without her honestly. Pets are amazing.

Mine knew before the pee stuck turned pink. They got really clingy and protective. After a few weeks, the started napping against my side or with their heads on my stomach. In my WTE first year book, it said you should let your dogs lay their heads on your naked belly since it won't hurt the baby and they can sense/smell the baby as one way to promote prenatal bonding and makes them less likely to freak out once baby arrives.

My dog has been a lot more calm around me. He doesn't run around or jump when he's excited. He likes to just be near me. I think my cats have lost interest lol.

Lol well they just recently prove that cats totally understand us and literally just do not care :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->