When choosing a Cotbed...does price really matter?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by MissTanya, Dec 16, 2009.

1. MissTanya

MissTanya Due on 23rd March 2010

I was wondering if price really matters when choosing a cotbed, as I've noticed boots have one for sale for £89!

There is such a range of furniture everywhere I look. However, hubby and I need to be realistic, because when we eventually move home to Australia, we will have to get rid of all our baby furniture, which means we won't be keeping for when number 2 comes along :baby:

Therefore, is cheap (but new) okay?

Is there any reason why we should avoid anything too cheap?

Are they cheap ones any less safe for bubs?

I sort of thought that choosing a cot is just choosing a piece of furniture and the nicer you want, the more you pay. But I don't want to go cheap if it means I could be putting bubs at risk.

What is your opinion? :flower:

2. kelly2903

kelly2903 mum2princess an expectin

As long as everything comes with the goverment standards it wont be un safe hun xxx

3. TigerLady

TigerLady CaveTiger Clan Mama

Safety First!!!

Other than that, whatever! :mrgreen:

Personally, I would avoid drop sides. But that is me.

4. abbysbaby

abbysbaby Guest

i got a crib from toys r us, it does upto bout 7months, i also got a cot but its far to big just now. i was gona get a moses basket but i thot cos it only does up to 3months i wudnt bother, i got a grib in toys r us for 50 £ which was 70£ its soo beatiful!

5. purpledahlia

purpledahlia Mummy

the price of the cot is not important! Ikea sell ones for 50 theyre fab and not 'less' safe or anything. So dont worry about that, your better spending less on the cot and more on the mattress. And second hand cots are fine too, just get a new mattress.

6. littledancer

littledancer Well-Known Member

I think a new cotbed is a good idea but agree with the other ladies, as long as they follow safety standards 'less expensive' doesn't necessarily mean 'less safe.'

I was told to stay away from 2nd hand cotbeds/mattresses but to each their own on that front.

Even for the mattress, I wouldn't say it is the PRICE that is the issue per se- you just want to make sure that it's firm enough, look into the materials used in it's construction and do some searches online to find reviews etc. from other moms. Some rather expensive mattresses have some bad reviews (mothers saying it's not firm enough to be safe for newborns etc.).

Best of luck :)

7. New2Bumps

New2Bumps Mummy to 2 gorgeous boys

My cot is from Mothercare new and was £80 - I'd rather spend that on a new one than a reduced second hand one if that makes sense.

8. purpledahlia

purpledahlia Mummy

my mothercare one was £100 but its reduced to 80 now! If you can hold off there will be mega sales after christmas too. prob get a good bargain on a cot and a mattress.

9. MissTanya

Thanks! We are planning to wait till after Christmas to hopefully get a good price, but we were hoping to research what we wanted beforehand so that we know what we want to get in advance.

I did consider second hand ones on ebay, but then changed my mind. I would like one with teething rails and getting second hand on that doesnt sound too appealing to me.

I agree about the drop sides...we are going to try to stay away from them. Apparently America is going to stop approving them?

Anyways, glad to hear that cheap doesnt mean bad. Indeed, investing in a good mattress (that fits correctly) is definitely important.

10. purpledahlia

purpledahlia Mummy

also you can buy teething rails seperate if need be! :)

11. Jemma_x

Jemma_x Mummy and Engaged

My mum and dad paid for my cotbed which was £480 and if im honest apart from it maybe seeming abit sturdier i think it was only so expensive because its mamas and papas. I agree with other ladies aslong as it upto goverment safety standards you should be fine

12. MissTanya

Really?? I didn't know that. Thanx!

13. MissTanya

Thanks Jemma. Thats another reason why I am hesitant about buying off ebay, because I don't know how old it may be or where it has come from. There is no way of checking if it meets gov standards - though I am sure most of them do! Also, what if I got it home and found it was missing a screw or piece?

Babies are expensive erh!

14. jo04070

jo04070 Active Member

At the moment Mamas and Papas have a sale on. The Rita cot bed was £139.00 is now £69.00 plus postage. Also the roundabout wallpaper was £15.00 a roll is now £1.00 a roll.

15. purpledahlia

purpledahlia Mummy

yeah, well some cots dont come with them..

16. Jox

Jox 💙💙💙💝

our cot is from Ikea and was £39!!!

Will be spending abit more on a decent mattress tho!!

xxx