When did you announce the news to close friends/family?

Lues

Reaction score
I found out that I am pregnant last week (whoo-hooo!)

So my husband Keith and I are in the debate of when to tell our very close friends and immediate family. He is very excited and wants to tell people right away. I would prefer hearing a heartbeat first, but have to admit, it's hard to be around people we're very close to and not tell them. It feels almost like lying.

(No one even knows that we've been trying (for years), so it'll be quite the shock.)

And I do realize that while they'll keep it relatively secret, word may spread a bit. Just the nature of humans in my opinion.

So I thought I'd ask you ladies what your thoughts are on telling your close friends and parents/siblings etc. Did most of you tell them immediately, or wait a while?

(I completely realize there is obviously no "right" answer. I just thought I'd see what your experiences were!)

I told my immediate family and friends the day I found out, I was simply using the logic that (god forbid) anything were to go wrong and i was to miscarry, I would like their support through such a sad time.

We of course will be waiting until scan to make it public.

Good luck
Xx

That's a good question. I've had two losses (one early, one late), so I'm a bit jaded here, lol, so take that as you will.

With my first pregnancy, I told basically everyone right away because I was so excited. Ended up having a MMC. With my son, who was born healthy and beautiful, I told my grandma and parents and that's basically it until 12 weeks, then I blabbed to everyone. With my daughter, who passed at the beginning of the third trimester, I told everyone right away because I felt like a seasoned pro by then.

I'm just 4 weeks pregnant now and have only told my husband and three close friends. I am keeping this to myself as long as possible. Like, waiting until birth if I can! :winkwink:

I still haven't decided when I'll tell people. With my son I was so excited that I told everyone right away. With this pregnancy I'm kind of avoiding the subject until I'm a little more excited about it (unplanned bfp). But I won't be able to hold out too long because we're living with my in laws. :doh:

We will be telling close family at 8 weeks (parents and siblings only) after we have had our early scan. We will tell them not to tell anyone else...

We also had a mc in Feb and hadn't told anyone, I really struggled after and had to tell my mom everything...it was awful!
I'm thinking this time if anything does to wrong again I will need her support like last time so would rather she knows anyway xx

We told our family and very close friends within a week of finding out, everyone else will be told at 12 weeks.

We told close family and friends the day I got my first BFP (it was very dark and after period was due).

With baby number two, I told hubby and my bff and we waited a week or so to tell close friends and family. We will be telling the rest of the family and friends after our 12 week scan, although I fear I will be clearly showing by then lol. And fb probably after the 20th week scan.

This is the main thing we're discussing right now.
I found out extremely early, so I haven't even missed AF yet.
We will be waiting at least a week then we may tell my parents, his parents, and our really good friends (who just had a baby 2 weeks ago). Everyone else in the family may be a bit later. And more than likely won't announce to the world (Facebook ) until after our first scan.

I am telling my two best friends first within the next week. The first one because I was the first person she told about her BFP a year and a half ago, and the other because I already had plans to see her next weekend and she is about 8 weeks pregnant with her first, and I want to compare symptoms! I'm looking forward to that discussion because she was the only one who knew DH and I were trying.

Our parents and siblings we're planning on telling on Father's Day, but it's going to be hard to keep it a secret for two weeks! We have several family events before then. I too feel guilty about not telling my parents, like we're lying.

All really interesting stories/comments.

Thanks ladies, it helps my brain work out it's own thoughts!!!

I'm not sure what we're going to do yet. We're supposed to see DH's mother today and i think he's going to have a hard time not telling her, he'll feel awkward. (he's just so excited, it's adorable). Don't get me wrong, he 100% will keep it between us if I tell him it's important to me. But I sort of feel like perhaps that should be his call.

We may just see how it goes.

I've only told my parents, my best friend and DH's mom. I announced my last pregnancy early, like the day I had a positive test, it ended up in early mc. While I had a lot of girls offering me support which helped me to get over my grief a lot sooner, it hurt to have to tell everyone what happened. This time, I probably won't tell everyone else until the first scan, which I'm hoping is early because I'm getting a bit impatient :brat: With my DD I told family at 9 weeks and didn't tell anyone else until 14 weeks. With my DS I told everyone after the first scan at 9 weeks.

We told FB which is close friends and family only immediately, then the family went and told the rest of the world. SO basically, we told straight away.

I cant hide it!!! This will be my forth baby and we told everyone the day after we found out and even that felt like eternity lol

Mc1 - early so hadn't told anyone.

Dd - told everyone at 6 weeks because I got really bad morning sickness. If I had a mc I thought I'd like the support.

Mc2 - I had a feeling something wasn't right so didn't tell anyone.

Mmc - we told our parents at 7 weeks and as people were guessing we told everyone at 11.5 weeks. I was still extremely sick and felt safe. 12 week scan showed baby had died at 10 weeks. I was really grateful that people knew and could support me but many comments from friends hurt so much. I know they meant well but it was hard listening to one friend go on for half an hour literally about how lucky I was it didn't happen later and it was probably deformed. Another friend asked why am I even upset. This happens all the time'. Now our friendship is slightly tarred.

Current pregnancy - we will try to keep it a secret as long as possible. If something happens then I will tell my closest family and friends but I can't stand the looks of pity and terrible comments from other people.

I'm probably a bit jaded too. But currently I'm just enjoying being pregnant. I'm more excited about telling dd when I can.

We haven't told anyone yet, although bfs sister found out through my bf not being and to lie! I went for an early scan yesterday which showed everything perfect. I don't know why I haven't told my family, guess I'm just scared incase something goes wrong!

I just found out on Friday and it was a bit of a surprise since I wasn't exactly trying... but not a surprise since I had been feeling like absolute crap for a week and I knew the feeling from past pregnancies.

I told my husband and cousin right away. Husband told his mom and the kids right away... I think I will tell my parents next weekend and will wait as long as I can for the rest of the world. My co-workers in particular are not going to be fun to tell but really I don't owe them anything so maybe I should just let them figure it out with time.

told parents and very close family at 12 weeks.

told boss out of obligation plus one or two colleagues that would need to cover workload.

I am 22 weeks and not told any friends yet as will not be having an official announcement per se, maybe a photo of bubs once born but won't say anything othetwise. we are one of 7 babies being born in friends circles this year and the announcements have been a little OTT for my liking (viral flashmobs etc) so i figure they have had enough fun for all of us, lol!

(plus the less people we tell, the less unwanted advice and the less that my hoo hah becomes the subject for dinner conversation and public property)

With our history and me being on all sorts of IVF meds until 16 weeks, we're going to hold off until 20 weeks to tell anyone. Just want to make sure everything is stable after I get off the meds. We live in another state than most everyone else, so it shouldn't be too difficult to hide. This is the first time we haven't told folks straight away, and honestly, it's way more relaxing for me this way.

We just told everyone this weekend. I found out a little under two weeks ago and I just couldn't keep it a secret anymore. I haven't told anyone at work yet and we haven't posted it on Facebook but all of our family and close friends know. We have our first ultrasound on Wednesday and depending on how that goes, I might tell work after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->