When did you drop their nap?

LuluBee

Mummy to Alex
Reaction score

Alex has always been great at going to bed at night, out like a light and never had any problems. He is 2 on Saturday and for the past three nights he's been an absolute nightmare to get to bed, he's just wide awake, way too hyper and climbs out of bed as soon as he's put in it. We haven't been able to get him to go to sleep before 10 for the past 3 nights.

I didn't expect him to be ready to drop his daytime nap until he was a bit older but am wondering if that's the problem or something else has caused the problem - any advice will be much appreciated!

since they have naptime in preschool and kindergarten here my oldest dropped his daytime nap at 5 yrs old when he went in to 1st grade and he cried about it then :shrug: I plan for Zander to be the same hopefully I dont know what the problem might be but I do know Zander doesnt need or get as much sleep as my oldest boy did he can go all day without a nap but I try to get him to anyway maybe get his naptime a bit earlier than it is Zander goes down for nap around 1-2pm and he goes to bed around 10pm but thats his normal schedule :)

I'm struggling with the same dilemma, Lulubee! Mine is 20 months, and on days when she has naps, she stays up SO LATE now and isn't tired at all at her bedtime. On days when she skips her nap, she goes to bed at bedtime like a dream. So I'm starting to wonder why I still give her naps .... basically, it's cause I think I'm "supposed" to. But that might not be a good reason! :winkwink:

Yeah we had to limit the length of Ruby's naps because she was taking 90 minutes to go to sleep at bedtime.

Elissa is 17 months and she seems to be dropping her afternoon nap. She only seems to have an afternoon nap maybe twice a week. She goes to bed at 8:30ish and sleeps for around 12 hours.

I think this is way to young for her to be dropping all naps but it seems to be what she needs.

I'm having the same dilemma. LO has not napped well for a couple of weeks now and I'm not sure whether it's a phase due to teething or he is wanting to drop it. He seems tired a lot and isn't sleeping great at night either so for now we are still attempting to get him to nap every day (which isn't working by the way)...it's a pickle. I do feel, ideally, they should nap until at least 3 years old, but some kids have their own ideas and so I suppose as long as there is no real reason why they aren't sleeping, it might be time to drop the nap and just go with the flow????

Well, we tried lots of things but I think it's definitely a napping issue. He was very grumpy when we dropped his nap completely but we have found if we limit it to a 30 minute nap then he will sleep much better. So rather reluctantly I'm limiting his nap times but I'm going to miss that two hours of peace and quiet!

Thanks for all the advice ladies xx

my eldest (now 6) napped until she was about 2.5/3yr - then it started affecting bedtime and she wouldnt settle till gone 8pm which then resulted in her being v.tired the next day for nursery and so i cut the naps out and it worked she'd get up at 7.30 and be asleep by 7pm
but my next 2 girls just stopped napping themselves as soon as they hit 1yr old!! (they are now nearly 5 and 3)
xx

Noah has drastically and suddenly decreased the amount he sleeps. He was havin a 3 hour nap, then bed at half 6, up at 9am ish sometimes 10am. Now he sleeps for an hour and half max and goes down at nite at 7pm, up at 8am. Thats over the last 2 weeks xxx

I find my lo is limiting how long he sleeps and when he wants to nap..when i say hes limiting I mean in the morning. if hes up earlier than 9am he HAS to nap by 1230pm if not he is grumpy and will NOT sleep till about 4pm when it is almost too late cus he normally has the 2nd nap by then but then is grumpy till bedtime and refuses to eat. I am hating this transition toddler stage, its changing him and affecting my routine of what I am used to. But perhaps its for the better for him :)

belle doesnt have hers anymore hunny, she just wont go at all, she might go in car if she is in it for a while and had a busy day which is fine its not me who doesnt want her to have one but she is awful with one now wont go to bed
Lou
xxx

Sad but true that's the first sign that they are ready to be nap free...my son did the same thing but he was close to 3 when he stopped napping. We had the same problem as you, up really late and not wanting to go to sleep at night, I tried a day with no nap and that night he went to bed like a champ so from that point on I knew it was over for the most part :( It is a sad day when that stage comes to an end!! Try giving him a shorter nap first and see how he goes to bed that night, maybe he's not ready to drop it entirely yet, he is still really young. Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->