When did you start buying stuff?

WrinklyMummy

Reaction score
As the title suggests, really.

I'm a high-risk pregnancy so was determined to wait until after the 20-week scan, and I started off well yesterday because I saw a carrycot in the op shop for $8 but explained that I wasn't yet 12 weeks and didn't want to jinx it. Then I walked straight into the supermarket and ended up buying a bumper pack of 96 Huggies newborn nappies (half-price, $11.99!)!!!

Then today, Target had maternity jeans and tops on special so I bought one of each....

Am I crazy?? Can it really jinx it? I've kept my receipts for the clothes, just incase the worst happens...

I'm 10 weeks today and my bloating has gone and the only symptom I've got is constipation - even my boobs are barely sore anymore! This is #4 and I didn't have symptoms with the others either, but I'm just extra-paranoid with this one because I feel I'm due some bad luck :-/

Anyway, when did everyone else start buying stuff then?

I'm only 6 weeks and I've bought a few clothes, wipes, creams. Main reason is I suffer HG so I want to but I few things myself before I got sick, I don't trust DH to pick out anything lol
I've taken photos of cots etc I found on the internet and in trimester 2 I'll get him to go buy those.
I understand why you'd want to not jinx yourself but it's hard not to buy things sometimes

I think I bought some sleep suits just after my 12 week scan with my son and I was already wearing maternity jeans by then because they are so comfortable!
This time I haven't bought anything, I really need to go get some jeans for work, but it's just too much effort lol.
I'm 10 weeks as well, no more sore boobs, bloating comes and goes depending on what I'm eating, no sickness anymore, I'm feeling quite confident though because I've heard my baby on the Doppler since 8 weeks. If I didn't have one then I'd probably be freaking out at lack of symptoms!
You can't jinx it tho so if you wanna buy then go get spending! Lol :haha:

You can't jinx yourself, though I know it's easy for your mind to get the better of you when things are otherwise stressful. I bought some maternity clothes with my first around 6 weeks and with this one from around 5 weeks, genuinely because with my first, I was so uncomfortable and bloated by 6 weeks that I needed different clothes. This time it was more just that I saw some good stuff and thought it would be good to have. I'm actually hardly bloated at all this pregnancy (and actually my symptoms, though they are always there are strikingly different than first time around, so I guess bloat must just be one of the ones I don't have). I didn't buy any baby things until further along in 2nd tri, but not for any reason than I really couldn't rally to do it. Actually having a baby seemed a really long way off still at that point. This time I did buy two sleepsuits the day I found out I was pregnant. We were in town and I was feeling fairly rough and we just happened to walk past the shop and I needed to buy something! I also bought a set of cloth wipes that I really wanted before I was even pregnant, but mostly because they were on offer. I've thought about a few things we need, but we'll get them later. After one, you don't really need to buy as much so it's not quite so exciting. Enjoy it though. I wouldn't let your worries get in the way of that, though I know it's easier said than done, isn't it?

Nothing you buy or don't buy will change the outcome of your pregnancy so don't worry about jinxing it. I bought some baby clothes almost 4 years ago now, while there was an offer on. I was still ttc at that point. I'll probably buy a few cute baby things after the 12 week scan if all is ok, but other than that, I'll be waiting till after the 20 week scan to buy any baby stuff. I have ordered some mat jeans though, because I've been walking around since 4 weeks with my button undone on my jeans :p

I've bought some maternity work trousers and some jeans as mine were starting to get uncomfortable. The bloat mist have gone down a little as I haven't worn them yet!

I have my 12 week scan tomorrow so I think we will buy a little babygrow or two after that. We will just get things as and when after that I think. :thumbup:

I bought everything right away when I was pregnant with my first-born. This is my fifth, and I've been waiting for the "right time" to buy the new car seat I need. I've bought things later and later with each of my pregnancies because I, too, feel I'm due some bad luck. But it's all right. I just have to get my mind off of it and keep feeling positive and happy. :) And you should, too! :)

Before i was even pregnant . I bought some newborn cloth diapers . Im gunna buy the coming home outfit this week too

lol I bought stuff before I was pregnant. I just keep them in one of those vacuum seal bags. I don't believe in jinxing it, but I'm not buying big stuff until 26 weeks/after my baby shower because (frankly) I don't want to buy something that someone else is willing to :rofl:

I've bought a couple of things (some sleepsuits, a tiny cardigan, a toy bunny) but not too much. I kind of want to celebrate the baby with some things to show that we believe in it, if that makes sense, but we've also not got its room cleared out yet so there's not much space to put lots of baby things.

DH would have bought a pushchair by now if I'd have let him!

I bought a 2 pack of onesies at 9 weeks lol we were really excited. I'm currently 12 weeks and bought a sleeper yesterday but I was at babies r us and they had a pack and play with the new born level and a change table attachment for $80 so I caved lol. I was worried about jynxing it but even if I do misscarry were just going to try again. We feel too worried about timing to wait until 20 weeks to buy everything

We bought a toque (stocking cap) today so we could take an announcement photo with our orange hunting toques. So cute <3

I bought everything right away when I was pregnant with my first-born. This is my fifth, and I've been waiting for the "right time" to buy the new car seat I need. I've bought things later and later with each of my pregnancies because I, too, feel I'm due some bad luck. But it's all right. I just have to get my mind off of it and keep feeling positive and happy. :) And you should, too! :)

Thanks for the reassuring words... I often feel like I'm the only person expecting their fourth, so it's good to know I'm not the only one thinking they're due some bad luck! I know that sounds crazy, as does the whole jinx-thing, but if we miscarry then I don't know if we'll try again as I'll be 42 by the time the next one is born, so this pregnancy is really our only attempt at our last baby...

I have my scan next Tuesday and am just praying there's something still alive inside me!! Hubby says he remembers me being paranoid and worried with the other three, but I guess I'm just that kind of person, and my worries are now confounded by being labelled 'high-risk'!

Anyway, if all goes well next Tuesday then I'll be heading straight down the op shop or Kmart! And if our 20-week scan goes ok then we'll tell family back in the UK :) (am dreading that bit.... my mum keeps going on about me going back to work now the kids are older, and can they chuck the car seats as we're probably not coming back to visit anytime soon.... thanks mum, nice to know we're missed! :-( ).

lol I bought stuff before I was pregnant. I just keep them in one of those vacuum seal bags. I don't believe in jinxing it, but I'm not buying big stuff until 26 weeks/after my baby shower because (frankly) I don't want to buy something that someone else is willing to :rofl:

Haha, your comment made me chuckle! I was the same with my first - I didn't have a baby shower with the others, though...I guess I felt it would be greedy / cheeky... whereas this one (#4) is like #1 again as it's been so long, so maybe I could get away with a baby shower?! Plus, it would be my first baby in Australia! ;-)

I've bought a couple of things (some sleepsuits, a tiny cardigan, a toy bunny) but not too much. I kind of want to celebrate the baby with some things to show that we believe in it, if that makes sense, but we've also not got its room cleared out yet so there's not much space to put lots of baby things.

DH would have bought a pushchair by now if I'd have let him!

That's a really nice way of looking at it. I think this little one deserves my faith so next time I'm in a shop I will definitely buy something :) I did actually buy some maternity jeans and a top last week from Target, but only because they were in the sale and I'm too tight to pay full-price in a few weeks / months ;-)

Also, I've been buying the odd extra pack of baby wipes with my weekly groceries (I still use them for the kids' faces, cleaning tables, worktops, etc.) as, although I'm hoping to be brave enough to try 'real' nappies, I'm not sure I could handle reusable wipes in the first few weeks when you're looking at 10-12 changes a day!!!

I'm the type who thinks every baby should be celebrated. I throw baby sprinkles for coworkers all the time. And I'm no shame lol. No shame at all my registry has like 120 things on it :rock: most are under $20 though. So my vote is have one! :)

I'm only 6.5 weeks but I have bought just a few small things that were just too cheap on clearance to pass up! A white soft blanket, crib liner, wrist rattle. All of it was non-gender specific, things I won't get attached to. I'm waiting until 14 weeks before I actually buy real stuff!

We found out we were expecting the day before we left for Vegas I was 4wks. So while we were in there we bought a grey onesie that says welcome to las vegas with a matching bib. I also had 2 other onesies made for my parents to tell them they were going to be grandparents I was 6wks at that point. I also bought a baby book and a pair of saint slippers that we just couldn't pass up. My mom told me to stop buying stuff so people can buy stuff for the baby shower :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->