When did you start weaning, and why?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Pyrrhic, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Pyrrhic

Pyrrhic Well-Known Member

It seems to hard to know. Niamh has started picking up night feeds in the last week. She used to go 8/9pm-6am, bow she's seems very restless at night and wakes at least once about 3am. Last night she had two feeds before 6am. She then has a 6am feed and will go down until about 10am. She also seems less happy about BFing and is still hungry after feeds. I have no idea if this is a growth spurt or not though.

She's always chewing her hands, but that seems normal at this age.

She doesn't seem overly interested in my food. She'll watch me eat, but doesn't open her mouth or gum when I'm eating.

So what made you start the weaning process?

2. polo_princess

polo_princess ♥ Brookes Mummy ♥

Ive started Brooke on baby rice this last week in an effort to ease her reflux. Shes taken to it pretty well.

But since she is so young im sticking to baby rice only until she hits 4 months as its really only a step up from milk. Her feeding routine or anything like that hadnt changed and hasnt done since i put her onto rice either :)

3. Pyrrhic

I'm not keen on starting weaning, in fact I'm dreading it. I'd like to hold off as long as possible.

It's interesting though that you say baby rice didn't make a difference yet.

I had a look on some different sites and came across this:

They are hungry after a feed, but refuse more milk;
    They wake more often for night feeds;
    The time between feeds gets shorter;
    They sit up in a highchair and show interest in what's going on at the table;

They grab at the food on your plate;
    They simulate chewing and make appreciative noises as they watch others eating, for example, sitting up, taking an interest in what the rest of the family are eating, picking up, and tasting finger foods.

Bold is what she's doing - although she's not sitting in a highchair.

4. polo_princess

polo_princess ♥ Brookes Mummy ♥

Worst comes to worst and you end up needing to give her something with a bit more bulk you can always try to give her a few teaspoons of baby rice mixed with your milk, i assume you can use breast milk in the same way.

5. xXDonnaXx

xXDonnaXx Well-Known Member

I have just started Lexie on dinners. I give her half a tin at dinner time. She went from sleeping through, to waking up quite regular. And started wanting a feed. So I thought i'd try her to see if it fills her up longer. I've not noticed a change yet as it's only been a week. She also looks at people eating their food, lol.

6. Pyrrhic

I think I my try and hold off for a couple of weeks, as it's not too far away and see how we go. Its hard to know if it's a growth spurt or if she needs weaning as she'll BF but then start crying because she's still hungry but not want to BF anymore. I'm going to try giving her EBM in a bottle and see if that helps after a BFing session.

7. Mervs Mum

Mervs Mum Doula & Mum of 3!

I started at just over 5 months. She's sat with us at meal times since 4 months and I started giving her food from our plates soon after that with BLW in mind. Her feeding pattern hadnt changed before I started weaning from being about 3 weeks but I got to 5 months and wondered if giving her more solids might space her evening feeding out - she fed every 1.5 - 2 hours from tea time to bed time but as she slept all night I didnt really mind. I really wanted to wait til 6 months but I'm pretty happy with things now. She is on 2 meals a day. Her main food is still BM and I'm not including another meal for another month or so and it's working out well so far! :D

8. Sarah88

Sarah88 Full time working mummy

Savannah had a growth spurt at 3-4 months which she was waking again in the night. I weaned Savannah at 5.5months after she was waking through the night for about 2 wks. A growth spurt only lasts about a week.

9. Pyrrhic

Thanks girls. I think I'm definitly going to wait at least 2 weeks to make sure it isn't a growth spurt. I want to leave it as long as possible :lol:

10. Mervs Mum

The main thing I miss about her eating 2 regular meals is that because she has her 'breakfast' instead of her second feed, we dont get to stay in bed and sleep all morning when I fancy it now!! :lol:

11. Pyrrhic

I know, that's my favorite part of the day! Lying in until 10/11am :lol:

12. AppleBlossom

AppleBlossom Guest

Yeah I started Grace on Baby rice just before she was 4 months old. She is so greedy and I had to put her on hungrier baby milk at 8 weeks because she was just not satisfied with stage 1 formula. Since then she would watch us eat and she was so restless at night, feeding constantly. Now she eats absolutely anything she can get her hands on. I knew she was ready mainly because of the different signs, some that you've put up there. But I was told by MW that chewing their hands isn't a sign that they should be started on solids but I would maybe try her with a little baby rice in a couple of weeks

13. Mervs Mum

God I've got so I couldnt function if I was up before 11am!! :lol: .....note to self.....must go to bed earlier!!!

14. alice&bump

alice&bump mummy to katie

i started katie on baby rice at 11 weeks. just little bits, she was doing all what niamh's doing, but she was "chewing" too. she was never, ever satisfied with boobie. in hindsight it was cos my milk was drying up, but thats pretty rare to happen! HV said to me it was probs just a growth spurt and to just feed her constantly basically til my supply catches up. i kept her on baby rice til 16 weeks then started with plain veggies, mainly root veg and stuff and am tryin to hold off on anythin else til 6 months.

and i well miss my lie-ins now i'm not BF! it dont seem the same anymore!!xx

15. carries

carries Mother of two under two!

We are going to do BLW so no purees. Obviously this means we have to wait til 6 months but time goes so quick its not that far away really. I think you have to be guided by your baby but most babies really dont need food for nourishment until around 6 months. Oh and Oscar has started waking in the night too! (6 times last night!) but am sure its a growth spurt or a phase. Alot of babies I know around 4 months have done this then settled back down. Good luck whatever you choose :)

16. MaryJ

MaryJ Mom of 1 soon to be 2!

Danny started doing the same as yours about 4 weeks ago. Dh said he'd already been giving a bottle with rice cereal in it so I started with a jar of baby food at bedtime. So he was doing 7 bottles a day one with rice and a full jar of food. Then all of a sudden about a week ago he went to 4 bottles and rejected food. Guess it was just a growth spurt.

17. princess_bump

princess_bump Happy Wife & Mumma!

we started weaning at 6months, maddi did show lots of interest in food bless her, but other than that she has always slept through, and was content on her hungry baby formula. we decided that 6months was late enough to leave it, and so we started with baby rice, and then carrot, just purees for us. i agree i would see if its a growth spurt honey, and be led by her, they seem to tell you when they're ready :hugs: x x

18. xJG30

xJG30 Tom & Mummy <3

I started at 5 months, Tom was making movements when we ate and showed alot of interest in our food.. he's on 3 meals a day now :D

19. ryder

ryder Mum to Jasmine & Peyton

Weaning too early cn mess with your milk productiong.

i weaned at just under 3 months because of the reflux... it does help.

20. emma_27

emma_27 Well-Known Member

I started to wean Ellie when she was about 18/19 weeks she just wasnt filling up on milk and was crying for my food so i started her on baby rice i did want to try and hold out til she was 6months but there was no chance.