When did you stop sterilising bottles?

I can't vote as I have never sterilized. This answer is not in the poll. Here in the US it is not mandatory to sterilize.

Ditto. I use my dishwasher and it has a REALLY hot drying cycle.

SAme here..although I am in Canada. I did sterilise until about 7 months now i just bung them in the dish washer, I have those special racks to put all the baby things in. It seems to work well, no problems so far.

I dont think I would stop sterilising at 6 months, I mean I dont sterilise her sippy cup, feeding dishes or spoons as I think babies need to have some immunity from germs but no way when it comes to milk. I think my 4 year old was about 11 months when I stopped sterilising her bottles and she was fine (and even a premature baby) so will probably be the same for Gabriella. My friend said if I dont sterilise her other stuff then I dont need to sterilise anything but I disagree when it comes to bottles x

I stopped at 7 months and just use the dishwasher now on the really hot cycle. We have not had any problems with this.

Gotta be honest...I've NEVER sterilized my kiddos bottles or binkies for that matter. EVER. Gotta develope an immune system somehow IMO. There have been studies that show kids that have too many things sterilized don't develope proper immune systems cause they aren't exposed to anything and get autoimmune disorders when older. It's all personal preference, of course, but my kids are just fine and hardly get sick and I've never done it.

I can't vote as I have never sterilized. This answer is not in the poll. Here in the US it is not mandatory to sterilize.

Ditto. I use my dishwasher and it has a REALLY hot drying cycle.

SAme here..although I am in Canada. I did sterilise until about 7 months now i just bung them in the dish washer, I have those special racks to put all the baby things in. It seems to work well, no problems so far.

its not mandatory to steralise here either its just recommended.

a 70 degree dishwasher cycle i believe they actually say steralises anyway so no need for additional

anyway.. i stopped steralising my lo's bowls, cups, spoons etc.. at about 7/8 months ( he has picking up all sorts off the floor anyway) but contunued to do his bottles until he stopped using them at 12 months as they are not the easiest things to ensure are cleaned properly and milk dosnt just breed germs it breeds some nasty bacteria.
each to their own but i personally would continue to steralise bottles until they stop using them or at least 12 months anyhow
i dont have a dish washer but had i had one i would happily have used a hot cycle to do bottles etc instead, as it would be just as effective :)
as long as the bottles are clean there is (i agree no need to sterilise but for me it was about makeing sure they were properly clean ( like i said they arnt the easiest things to clean thoroughly)

we stopped at 6/7 months roughly

i just give them a good cold water
sterillising every now and again
rather than using the electronic thing ... :thumbup:

she eats everything on the floor
anyways and puts all sorts in her mouth
so i not too fussed as long as they're clean
:rofl:

I have never strellized bowls and spoons. Still doing bottles atm when he uses them

never sterlised cups plates bowls but sterlised milk bottle till about 6 months

like jenny said she puts everything in her mouth now lol

Never have sterilized Eli's bottles/binkies. Normally I hand wash or pop them in the dishwasher -- it has a sanitize options. I also don't let them sit with milk in them either though.

i still haven't stopped with maddi's bottles, i probably will by the time she's 2, (she has 2 a day now so doesn't take long) but i'm happier too. i stopped with plates and spoons at a year. and cups about a month ago. when we started weaning i had a cold water and steam steriliser on the go so i just did it as routine xx

Ty girls, I came on looking for this question and answers ...

My LO is 10.5 months roughly and so was wondering this, I may stop shortly then as he picks up all kinds of things and puts them in his mouth it seems silly to carry on, I have started to rinse the bottles/teats in freshly boiled water so may just do that from now on. Will ask HV on Tues what she thinks too.

I also never steralised bowls etc... just bottles and dummies....

xxx

I stopped last week... main reason being that the steriliser lid broke and is now not effective. I had started boiling them in pans and just realised this wasn't going to work for us as he eats so frequently and I just don't have enough time in the day to be boiling pans of water and dunking bottles....

I'm not too worried at all, i've lived out in the states a long time and no one I know over there sterilises and they think it's odd that we're so stringent about it. I have to make his milk using boiling hot water anyway to dissolve his milk and Gaviscon so i'm sure any bugs in his milk are killed then. I know it's only been a week but he's no more sicker than he was when we were sterilising.

My dd who is now 4 was about 11 months when I stopped sterilising her bottles. From what I have read experts say its now safe to stop sterilising at 6 months but I personally think this is a bit young (each to their own though) I dont sterilise Gabriella's feeding dishes, spoons or even her sippy cup and shes fine but as milk breeds bacteria for fun I will keep sterilising until she is closer to 12 months xx

eden has just turned 6 months so will be stopping in the next few weeks but we will just use the dishwasher then and id say that gets hotter than the steralizer! Its like a sauna in our kitchen when we open it! Oh and we use mam bottles so they are much easier to get inside of to clean.

i done the same with my other 2....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"