When did you stop sterilising?

BB1982

Reaction score
Hello! I have a 9 month old DS, we’ve been on the weaning adventure now since 6 months, he’s mainly on stage 2 purées and loves yoghurt and fruit purées etc, some finger foods, but still has about 5 bottles of milk a day. I’m not in any hurry to cut him down, but was just wondering when people stopped sterilising? We still do, it’s not a big issue, but DH thinks we should until he’s 1, but I’m aware that he’ll be going to nursery next month and I doubt they’ll sterilise much.

To me it doesn't really seem to make sense to sterilise once they are on solids. The exception being if you are making up milk ahead of time and keeping it for any amount of time. Also it can be difficult to get milk bottles really clean. Milk gets stuck in little nooks and crannies and goes nasty quick. It is important that they are getting properly clean and sterilising can help with that but imo they don't actually need to be sterile. Some authorities recommend it until a year old though. It is worth noting that some say sterilising is unnecessary altogether, even with a newborn.

I stopped sterilizing bottles very early on -maybe 2 months of age- and only did so again if they were sick or we were opening a brand new pack of bottles.

I did it til 1 when we swapped to cow's milk and started doing them in the dishwasher. If I ever have another I would prob stop sooner.

Thanks for the input! Think I’ll stick with it a while and review it once he’s actually started nursery. The dishwasher gets pretty hot so must me close to sterile using that I’d think. Xx

I'm in the US, and have never sterilized one bottle. I wash them in the dishwasher and thats it......

I'm in the US, and have never sterilized one bottle. I wash them in the dishwasher and thats it......

Same here. I actually only wash them in the dishwasher twice a week at that. Never had a problem with either of my kids.

I stopped when I introduced solids. Doing the same this time round as well. After that, I would consider sterilising them only if there's a nasty bug going round xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->