When did you tell your work/boss?

Im 25 weeks and my boss has no idea. lol
I have a 10 month old son at home and started back to work in June because we found out we were pregnant again and I needed the hours to qualify for unemployment when this baby is born. I started back to work with a different employer at around 7 weeks and have not said anything to them in fear that I would be let go and not get the hours. Now at 25 weeks pregnant I only have about 4 weeks left to work so theres no point in telling them. Oops! Ill just claim medical reasons and quit :)

I'm in a similar situation - I'm on probation as I've not long started my new job but luckily I've only got another month or so to go before it's over. I've decided that if I can hold out (i.e I'm not obviously showing) then I will keep it from them until after my probation period is over.

As others have said, they can't legally fire me because I'm pregnant but the probation makes it easier for them to lose me for 'other reasons' so does make me nervous.

Thing is I'm off the majority of December and the first two weeks of January for wedding and honeymoon so I probably could keep it secret till 23 weeks if I tried really hard.

Legally in the UK I think you have to tell your employer by 25 weeks.

Will you let me know how it goes when you tell them tiny footsteps?

xx

Thing is I'm off the majority of December and the first two weeks of January for wedding and honeymoon so I probably could keep it secret till 23 weeks if I tried really hard.

Legally in the UK I think you have to tell your employer by 25 weeks.

Will you let me know how it goes when you tell them tiny footsteps?

xx

Yes, of course! :)

I am quite nervous about it as I have no idea how they will react. But hey, not much I can do about it anyway.

I'm stupidly nervous and have been feeling really anxious about it but after 5 years TTC we weren't putting it off any longer!

I just hate annoying people, and I guess I'll only be doing it the once.

xx

I think you need to tell your employer 15 weeks before you intend to go on maternity leave (though I might be wrong about that). So might be a bit before 25 weeks if you want any time off before due date.

It's normal to be nervous, I was really nervous first time and am again - but it's like a band aid, you just have to grit your teeth and pull it off quickly!

An earlier poster was right, they can not terminate your probation period because you've announced you're pregnant, if they do you can sue them for sex discrimination. You don't have to have worked for any 'qualifying period' in order to assert sex discrimination rights (another earlier poster talked about needing to work somewhere two years but this is different, this is for the right to bring unfair dismissal) also for sex discrmination the damages you can claim are unlimited. Big companies are very worried about the negative PR around a sex discrimination claim, so if they are as big and well respected as you say I'd be really surprised if they take that route. What I'd so is store up some 'proof' that you're doing your job well, get some email feedback if poss and if you can have a mid probation review that would be helpful, and then I'd tell them. Remember in the UK you must tell your employer at least 15 weeks before the baby is due. Also once you 'go on the record' as having told them, this makes it more difficult for them to do anything as it will look as though they reacted after having found out about your pregnancy (which is why I suggest building up some proof that there were no problem), so I think this is another reason to tell them officially rather than let them find out via the back door (in which case they can always deny knowing). Hope this makes sense.

God I don't know what to do! Being a woman is hard work!

Cait it's 15 weeks before your due date, not when you plan on starting may leave.

Thanks for your input beach lover. Much appreciated! x

As an independent consultant, I didn't tell clients about my first pregnancy until after the first trimester. This time around, I am hoping to tell my current client tomorrow evening after my OB appointment just because I'm dying to tell him - he's been so patient with me not working the late hours I had hoped and being as sick as I have been, and I know that once I tell him that I'm pregnant that everything will make more sense to him. (He's got a medical background but doesn't suspect a thing mostly because I work from home.)

But if I wait till I'm showing and then they get rid of me it's going to be a hell of a lot harder to find a new job?

The likely hood is they won't get rid of me, but if they did I do think earlier would be better.

That's just my logic? I've already had a weeks sickness when I was in hospital with gynae issues and they are fine with me after that.

It's a huge huge world wide company and they wouldn't want to tarnish their reputation as being fantastic to work for is the way I see it.

As long as I do my job properly like I do, I don't have anything to worry about right?

It's a tough situation, largely because your probation period is so long. Sadly, despite much progression in women's employment rights, many pregnant women (and women on childbearing age) are still very much discriminated against, even if they are great workers. Yes, it's against the law to fire someone/not take someone on for being female/pregnant, but employers can easily give another excuse. And, depending on the law in your country - I'm pretty sure you can't claim constructive dismissal while on probation. I was in a situation many years ago where I was harassed and bullied to the point where I had 2 choices. Leave the job or lose my mind. I got very sick. Despite proving that I was harassed, because I was not in the job long enough, I could not claim constructive dismissal.

That's not to say that that will happen for you, and you know your company best. You may not have a choice I guess, depending on when you show. I hope it all works out for you :)

Maybe you could ask somebody at citizens advice for advice on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->