• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

When did your baby start gaining weight?

Tesa

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Quick intro - I just had my third baby 8 days ago and we are exclusively bfeeding. I breastfed my second child for 33 months and hope to do as well (well at least 24 months) this time too.

But I have a problem...At day 8 my little girl still isnt gaining weight. She nurses a lot (every two - three hours both sides) We are ensuring we drain one breast first before moving to the other. She has a good latch, the midwife can see the feeding is effective. Nappies are wet (not heavy wet but then we are changing it every two hours!) and poos are yellow and seedy and at least 2 -3 of them a day.

But still no weight gain...

She is within her 10% weight loss - so thats not an issue but why isnt she gaining?

On another topic why arent my breasts leaking? Should they be by now? Or are they just not getting a chance because Im feeding so often?

Hoping someone can help. The midwife is ok with her weight at the moment but want to see an increase by Sunday when they weigh her again.

Help please - I dont want to supplement but I do want my baby to be growing well!

Or am I panicking about nothing? When did your ebf baby start to gain weight? Is day 8 too soon to worry???

Well done with the feeding :thumbup: :D
I wouldn't worry hun :) Tanner started creeping back up at day 6 but every baby is different. My midwife wanted him at or above birth weight by 2 weeks, she didn't mind when it happened lol. He had taken 2 days to gain 160 grams but he's also taken 6 days to gain 180 grams..... feeding the same, sleeping the same.
I didn't leak for a couple of weeks, and still don't really... only if he goes a little longer and I get a heavy or second let down.
Have you noticed if your milk is very white after she comes off? I asked my midwife (I worried too as my mum never produced hind milk) and she said I was producing the good stuff ;)

Lauren was born at 8lb 4oz, at 5 days she was 7lb 15oz, then at 10 days bang on 8lb! So she probably lost a little more between days 5-10 then regained. At 15 days, she was 8lb 6oz.

Mine were both slow off the mark and got Back to birthweight by 2-3 weeks... then gained Iike crazy from that point onwards.

At least a couple of mine (I have five!) didn't start regaining until around day 10. My second youngest started to regain rapidly on day 8 but he was receiving IV fluids in hospital so this may have artificially made him put on weight, then over the next week he only gained a further 4-5oz so at 15 days he was about 20g off his birthweight still. Two and a bit days later he was weighed again and had put on 6-7oz in less than 3 days, he then gained 10-12oz a week from then on. My youngest only lost 5% by day 5 however he didn't gain anything more until day 10, he then gained an ounce and a bit a day and got back up to birthweight by about day 16. With my youngest he was born with really bad fluid retention/oedema which complicated gauging weight loss and gain but once he got rid of the excess fluid he gained 7oz a week every single week until about 3 months where he started to gain around 4-5oz a week and now at 4.5 months it's more like 3-4oz a week xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"