When did your food aversions and sense of smell settle down?

pradabooties

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm 8 weeks tomorrow and I've been quite lucky (I guess) in the fact that I haven't actually thrown up yet BUT I've been nonstop nauseous day and night every single day for about 2-3 weeks now. Honestly 99% of foods look/smell gross to me and its so frustrating I get to the point where I'm so hungry but can't handle eating anything that I just cry and cry.

I'm the primary cleaner at our place but I CANNOT handle even being in the kitchen because of all the overwhelming smells but OH works long hours so often I'll be working from home hiding in the bedroom on the laptop because I can't stand being anywhere near the kitchen or the fridge.

Saturday I decided to just be brave and clean the whole place and as soon as I finished I felt so sick I spent an hour in the bathroom spitting (sorry gross) into the sink trying to fight the churning in my stomach and just bawling my eyes out.

Everythings grossing me out! When did the food aversions and overwhelming sense of smell settle down for you? Or in previous pregnancies? I've heard it all gets easier after the first trimester and I'm really hoping thats true :cry:

I am exactly the same way. My aversions started at about 5 weeks and it was like torture - so hungry but all food made me want to vomit (although I rarely actually throw up). It eased up around 8 weeks, then came back even worse at 9 weeks. I am now 11 weeks and I am still feeling nauseous but I can eat more things now (yay for veggies again!). Hopefully it keeps getting better. I understand how awful it is and it seems like the days drag on and it will never end, but it will get better!

I am exactly the same way. My aversions started at about 5 weeks and it was like torture - so hungry but all food made me want to vomit (although I rarely actually throw up). It eased up around 8 weeks, then came back even worse at 9 weeks. I am now 11 weeks and I am still feeling nauseous but I can eat more things now (yay for veggies again!). Hopefully it keeps getting better. I understand how awful it is and it seems like the days drag on and it will never end, but it will get better!

Yes I believe it was about 5 weeks when mine started too :( Ah the thought of being able to eat vegetables seems crazy haha, that's one of the things that makes me feel sick the most! I'm glad the end is in sight. I've heard a lot of people just snap out of it at 12 weeks so I hope next week things get really good for you.

It has been so bizarre because I have aversions to all the foods I would normally eat - fruits, veggies, eggs, and meat. The only thing I can eat is carbs which is something we eat very little of. We haven't had a box of cereal in our house for 3 years, and now I'm going through a box every week! My doctor gave me a prescription for Diclectin which is specifically for nausea and vomiting in pregnancy and it has helped a little bit, but it makes me extremely tired. I take it at night and it helps with the nausea in the morning, but it wears off during the day and by late afternoon I feel sick again. This too shall pass!

In my last my food aversions were more specific, like bacon and chicken. And that lasted my whole pregnancy. And so did my sense of smell, I don't recall it getting less sensitive, but I do know it was there the whole time.

It has been so bizarre because I have aversions to all the foods I would normally eat - fruits, veggies, eggs, and meat. The only thing I can eat is carbs which is something we eat very little of. We haven't had a box of cereal in our house for 3 years, and now I'm going through a box every week! My doctor gave me a prescription for Diclectin which is specifically for nausea and vomiting in pregnancy and it has helped a little bit, but it makes me extremely tired. I take it at night and it helps with the nausea in the morning, but it wears off during the day and by late afternoon I feel sick again. This too shall pass!

I literally could've written that! I am exactly the same. Can't stand anything right now but bread and dry noodles and cereal - just like you we NEVER have cereal and normally I never even eat bread. I am usually very protein + fruit and vegetables orientated but I can't stand them now :( Although I can definitely stomach watermelon, oranges, mandarin, lemons and strawberries - thank God! Lemon water and watermelon are my saving graces when I feel really ill

Well I've just had my first proper pregnancy throw up (x3 in a row actually) and it was violent! Kind of glad I'm pass it now though so I won't be so scared of it happening again. I've only thrown up twice in my memory and both times I was a small child so I was quite terrified of throwing up!

It definitely peaked for me around week 8 and by 9-ish weeks I could think about food without wanting to puke. Now at 11 weeks, it's definitely much better. The only time I'll really feel it is when something actually smells quite strong like tacos or curry, when I've gone too long without eating, or when I've eaten too much.

My aversions and nausea started around week 6 and subsided around week 11. My sense of smell is still stronger, but at least certain smells don't make me nauseous like they did before.

Now I'm in the "crying at everything" stage lol.

I'm going through the same thing. Especially the smell of meat makes me SO sick. We eat lunch at church every Sunday and I couldn't stand to be in the kitchen because of all the food smells! I had to go outside so I wouldn't be sick. The only things I've been able to eat are egg rolls from a specific restaurant (I've been craving them like CRAZY) and carb things like crackers and bread. Pretty much other than that, I get sick. My poor husband has had to do a lot of fending for himself as far as food goes, and cleaning the kitchen? Ha. That happens when it can happen and not a moment before.
This is my first pregnancy so I can't tell you anything about when it'll pass. What I can tell you is you're not alone. Being sick because you're hungry, being sick because you smell food, being sick because you ate food. You can't win. But it's temporary AND you get an adorable baby at the end! So I guess you do win, it just takes several months. ;)

I'm going through the same thing. Especially the smell of meat makes me SO sick. We eat lunch at church every Sunday and I couldn't stand to be in the kitchen because of all the food smells! I had to go outside so I wouldn't be sick. The only things I've been able to eat are egg rolls from a specific restaurant (I've been craving them like CRAZY) and carb things like crackers and bread. Pretty much other than that, I get sick. My poor husband has had to do a lot of fending for himself as far as food goes, and cleaning the kitchen? Ha. That happens when it can happen and not a moment before.
This is my first pregnancy so I can't tell you anything about when it'll pass. What I can tell you is you're not alone. Being sick because you're hungry, being sick because you smell food, being sick because you ate food. You can't win. But it's temporary AND you get an adorable baby at the end! So I guess you do win, it just takes several months. ;)

Ah I know exactly what you're going through :hugs: cleaning the kitchen is like mission impossible, I can't even stand to be near it! It is nice knowing I'm not alone so thank you

Mine still hasn't eased up and I have had a fair bit sickness and nausea, can't clean properly, and every time I clean my sons stinky butt I vomit :haha: Hoping it gets better soon, but I think I was the same with number 1 until about 16 weeks!

For me the nausea/vomiting and aversions finally settled at about 20 weeks. Although there are still a few things that turn my tummy (onions and meat cooking...:sick:)

This sounds like exactly what I'm going through. Meat and veggies have become the most disgusting things on the planet. I can't eat any of my favorite meals anymore. I finally went through the kitchen and threw out anything that made me feel nauseous when I looked at it or smelled it (or thought about smelling it) and threw away anything that had to be cooked more than just microwaving. (I cannot deal with the smell of food cooking right now.) Then I went to the store and walked up and down the isles just throwing anything into the cart that looked edible. It's mainly a pile of fruit (thankful I'm able to eat something healthy) and a bunch of stuff I'd never eat like instant mashed potatoes and pasta TV dinners. I know most of it is unhealthy, but at least I'm able to eat it. I had lost 9 pound between week 4 and week 7, so the fact that I'm actually able to eat these things is a major win.

PS: My doctor also gave me some anti-nausea meds but they just knock me out. Like sleep for 13+ hours and wake up exhausted kind of knocked out. I just can't take them and still function.

It varies pregnancy to pregnancy for me. With DD ms was gone by 6 weeks and last pregnancy was gone at 11 weeks. This time and DS I've had no ms. But sense of smell stays until I give birth unfortunately for me for all pregnancies, besides DS's.

Mine lasted from 7 weeks to 16 weeks with my DS. With DD I had none. With my two MCs I had HG starting week 5. It truly does vary with each pregnancy and just because you get it once does not mean you will get it every time.

Don't let hubby know your smell aversions have gone away.

It's quite handy to tell him the smell of the trash or unwashed dishes is making you nauseated and he needs to clean up for his poor pregnant wife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->