When did your LO drop night feeds?

CeriB

Reaction score
Good morning ladies :flower:

Firstly, I'm not expecting, nor do I want, Maxwell to drop his night feeds. Although tiring, I do love our quiet bottle times 💗 However, the past 2 nights he is sleeping longer between bottles. He was going 3h between. Monday night he went 4h then last night he went 4.5h. Last night, he had a bottle at 9/9.30 then woke up at 1.30, had milk then back to sleep. He woke up again just before 6. My HVs have said not to let him go over 4h as he had problems in the first week with weight and feeds but other than setting an alarm, if he doesn't wake how do I know? We have fallen into a more on-demand feeding plan, especially during the day, where he will have 3-4oz anywhere from 2.5 to 4 hours. He is gaining weight now and has passed his birth weight by half a pound.

Mine didn't all her drop night feeds until she was 9 months. At that age, if you've been told to wake to feed him, then I would wake to feed him. If his weight gain is good enough now that you've been told to go back to feeding on demand and not wake for feeds, then just follow his signals. If he is gaining weight and otherwise healthy, he'll know to wake for feeds when he needs them (that is less the case for a baby who isn't eating enough or gaining properly as they can be extra sleepy, but if he's healthy, then that's not something to worry about). Probably around 8 weeks, mine did start to go longer stretches at night and there were a few weeks when she had a feed at 10/11pm and not again til the morning (5/6am). Before that it was every 2-3 hours, which is pretty typical for the first few weeks. It's also quite typical for there to be a point when they start to stretch out and for formula fed babies over a few weeks 3-4 hours is probably pretty average. Mine eventually started to have 1-2 feeds a night (after 10pm) until 9 months, which works out to still be about every 3-4 hours, and then refused to eat anything and would fall back asleep with some cuddles. She didn't STTN until she was 3.5, but she didn't want any milk after that. That sounds pretty normal though. I would just carry on with what you're doing if you've been told to stop waking him and just see what happens. If you've been told to continue to wake him, just set your alarm in case he doesn't wake up on his own.

I think it was around 6 months, when they stopped waking up for night feeds X

6 months, after she moved to her own room and we weren't unsettling her so much when we came up to bed.

My daughter was 4 weeks the first time she went all night (10-7) and then consistently from 6 weeks or so. We were fortunate that she loves her bed! Though, in saying that, sometimes during a growth spurt she will still have a bottle on the odd night.

Good morning ladies :flower:

Firstly, I'm not expecting, nor do I want, Maxwell to drop his night feeds. Although tiring, I do love our quiet bottle times 💗 However, the past 2 nights he is sleeping longer between bottles. He was going 3h between. Monday night he went 4h then last night he went 4.5h. Last night, he had a bottle at 9/9.30 then woke up at 1.30, had milk then back to sleep. He woke up again just before 6. My HVs have said not to let him go over 4h as he had problems in the first week with weight and feeds but other than setting an alarm, if he doesn't wake how do I know? We have fallen into a more on-demand feeding plan, especially during the day, where he will have 3-4oz anywhere from 2.5 to 4 hours. He is gaining weight now and has passed his birth weight by half a pound.

The on demand feeding is best at this age for sure! Our ds didnt stop his every 3hr feeds until he was on solids think he was 5mo. But he still woke at night for a bottle till he was 13mo!!

Dd on the otherhand is not even 4weeks old yet. Since 2weeks she goes almost exactly the same as ur ds!!
Bottle at 9pm, 1am and then 5am. If your baby is gaining fine and is satisfied then just feed him when he wakes in the night. There will still be times he wants more and wakes more like growth spurts and colds, teething etc..

Thing is with dd she actually eats LESS at night too! Having 2-3oz instead of 3-4oz! Its crazy but shes happy and a content baby whos gaining weight.

The only thing i would say is to make sure if he is draining the bottle to offer another oz as they should always leave a tiny amount. Thats how to know they really full :)

For now enjoy the bits of sleep hes letting you have!!! :haha:

My son was 3 months and my daughter 5 weeks - before that she also slept huge stretches in the day, I never really woke her and she gained weight well, I fed her when she wanted and as her weight gain was good and steady the HV wasn't concerned about me not waking her. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->