• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

When Do Babies hold a bottle/cup?

DoobyJu

Reaction score
My daughter is 1 in a few weeks and she still won't hold a bottle or training cup herself.
I have tried every bottle and cup I can find and she just won't give herslf a drink.
I am really worried that she is not getting enough fluids throughout the day. She has milk with her cereal at breakfast and an 8oz bottle at bedtime.
I send a bottle of Formula to the childminders but it always comes back untouched. The childminder says I shouldn't worry as she gets most of her fluid requirement in her food (small sandwiches and fruit).
How can I tell if she is dehydrated?
I have friends whose 6 months old give themselves a drink!!
Thank you for any advice
Julie

Hi hun,

Dylan started to hold his own bottle at about 9 months, (he liked to do it himself)
but my niece was 1 two weeks ago and she still won't hold her own cup.

She will do it when she's ready hun.

If she doesn't want to drink milk what about giving her some water? at least she is getting some milk in her cereal. xxx

Try not worry hun i really think it varies between different children .

Layla did every thing early and at 10 months was walking holding her own bottle .

But Finnley wouldnt hold his because he didnt want to , I tried and tried but he just wouldnt (I use to prop it up with a blanket in his mouth) i think he was about 13 months when he started holding himself.

As the childminder says hun, As long as shes drinking bits and bobs and eating well she will take what she needs.

Good luck . xxxxxxxxxxxxx .

leave the bottle/cup where she can get it. she will learn to give herself a drink when she gets thirsty

my mate got told by a hv not to keep changing the beacker or the bottle, and try and relax, so go out and maybe let him pick a beacker say then stick to that one. he will do it when he is ready.

kacy started holding the bottle beacker from 4months not for long.

kira has been doing since 10/11 months, with help. still now she is lazy and wants us to do it.

zane will hold a cup but wont drink out of them. While he dad was away at work i got sick of holding a bottle so i made him hold it himself that was at 6 months and now he knows if he wants that bottle he has to hold it lol

Don't worry hun, different babies do things at different rates. Niamh holds her own bottles just now.

To tell if your baby is dehyrated, they can go 6 hours between wet nappies, lethargis, dry mouth and lips, and very dark urine.

maddi will hold her own beaker, but not her bottle! i just kinda go with the flow and she'll do it eventually :D x x x

Dec never held his own bottle !!!! he came of it when he was about 13 months and until then I always held it for him, but he started holding his own cup at 4 months. It just depends when they are ready, she will do it in her own time xx

Lily still doesn't hun- but to be honest I quite enjoy cuddling her up and feeding her, most probably my fault!

I wouldn't worry - babies do things when they are ready! Erin will sometimes hold her own bottle, other times she won't!

I will keep trying with the cups and just carry on enjoying giving Nina her bottle myself, it is a lovely snuggly time for us both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"