When do you dress LO?

Minnie_me

Reaction score
Sorry to ask another question this evening but I am paranoid I am going to look like a numpty at the hospital. Once you have given birth etc, when are you meant to dress your baby in one of your own babygrows? Do the midwives tell you?:shrug:

i was thinking this. My mum wants to dress him but i thought he stayed naked with a nappy and on my chest or something??

As far as I know after you've met your LO they take baby and weigh them and then dress them for you and give you LO back fully dressed

I was thinking this too.. I guess after LO's been cleaned up, weighed etc.. Had a lovely cuddle then dressed..?

both times ive had my kids the midwives have asked oh to pass a vest a grow and a hat and a nappy and they have done it. then ive just changed them when on the ward

Yea midwive asks for baby's clothes and will dress and wrap baby up in blanket then give them to you :) this is all after u have held baby after birth it happens so fast oh it's so exciting :) :)

Awwww, hope at least one of my babygrows will fit then :blush: I assumed I would have to do it (well it would have been my mum :haha: )

^^ I'm sure if you said you wanted to dress him yourself you could :)

I had skin to skin for a bit with a towel over. Then tests and weighing etc. I didn't really have him cleaned up though. They put a nappy on him and swaddled. I don't think I put him in a sleepsuit for quite a while. I really wouldn't worry about it. As long as the baby is warm clothes don't matter and nothing is warmer than mummy's skin.

It depends on whether you are wanting skin to skin with lo first... i'm planning skin to skin and a breastfeed before i get lo dressed - although i may pop a nappy on just in case he has that first poo!! :haha:

When I had my lo I breast fed immediately for an hour skin to skin the midwife then weighed her then handed her to my dh to dress but was there to help him if needed

I had skin to skin and she had her first feed then my mum and OH dressed her (OH needed help lol) after about an hour. HTH.

Aw I didnt know about this either so good thread :thumbup:

We're planning a home birth, so we'll dress her whenever we want to.
First I want skin to skin and breastfeed her if she's hungry.

I will ask the midwife if I can put his clothes on I think, don't wanna miss a thing! x

Talking about this is making it all seem real- oh and ticker just changed 13days!!! :D :D

I had a c sec with my first so may be different with natural birth if you want to bf or skin to skin contact straight away. I was not allowed to hold baby as was too drugged up so they kind of got her out, placed her on my chest for a few secs so I could see her then whisked her off for her checks, we had been asked to bring her baby grow/nappy and vest and hat in to theatre and when she came back to me she was all wrapped up in her snugglys x

we too are doing skin to skin for a while and BFing, so we will just dress her when we feel the time is right. i think mostly we'll keep her warm with skin contact. i don't think we'll dress her very quickly as we don't plan to bathe her right away--we want to leave the vernix on her and gently massage it into her skin.

if birth doesn't go as planned and for whatever reason i cannot do skin to skin, then DH will do skin to skin with her at first.

i think you can decide to do whatever you are comfortable with.

Got to say I highly recommend NOT getting baby cleaned up. Unless LO is covered in meconium. They smell divine! We didn't bath Byron for ages, he was too delicious.

I'm very surprised how many hospitals seem to be taking over and dressing LO before you've had a chance to say hello. :wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->