*when do you have a baby shower?*

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by toseland13, Aug 26, 2009.

1. toseland13

toseland13 Well-Known Member

hi all,

my MIL wants to throw me a baby shower but im just wondering when do people usually have one? as in how far gone are people when they have one?

if you have had one how far gone were you?

how many people did you invite?

was u embarassed asking people for things?

just wondering so she knows when to sort it for.

2. monst_18

monst_18 I Love being Alfies Mummy

I have no idea - but thanks for asking this as i was wondetring the same - i will await the answers with you!

Enjoy!

x

3. lottie_2007

lottie_2007 Mummy of 3!!

Me to i'd like to know! Sorry can't be of any help!! x

4. jenny82

jenny82 Well-Known Member

I'm due 30th november, and having one 17th october.

Am dreading it though but I don't know if theres any way of cancelling it without hurting mums/best friend's feelings..

5. JennyLynn512

JennyLynn512 Mom to four

A couple months before the baby is due...

6. Boomerslady

Boomerslady Well-Known Member

I'm having mine in october time....but thats only as my friend whoseroganising it still lives with her parents and they are awya for 2 weeks in October!

I'm going to have a list of things people can buy me (I know it's really cheeky) but I have 90% of what I need, and I dont see the point in people wasting their money on things I dont need!

I've already said if 2 or 3 people wanna chip in for the bigger items (and I mean like £40) big! Then feel free......I'd rather have something I need.

I'm a bit worried really as I know they are organising it, but I dont know who to invite....do I ask my mum and sister? If so do I then have to invite my MIL (whose never met my side of the family) ahh its so confusing!

7. Kansas

Kansas Pregnant - 2nd Trimester

Being from the central US, you have to have a baby shower. If you don't people might think you're a little crazy. Most people usually have them around the 6-7 month mark of their pregnancy, but anytime between 5-8 months is acceptable. Usually invite 20-30 people, depending on how many the hostess wants to hosts - remember she is throwing it for you, so you have to be considerate of her time and expectations. Gift registries are extremely common here and guests expect you to have one, usually at one or two locations. They don't have to buy off the registry, but it lets them know what you're needing and what you may want. Before you plan a shower tho, take into consideration what holidays and such are coming up and try to avoid a time close to them. Like for me, I'm due in February. But, we haven't told anyone and by the time we do we'll have Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Years to think about, so I probably won't have my shower until January. Baby showers are supposed to be fun, so I really hope you enjoy yours!! :)

8. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

I'm not sure, but I'm dreading it. I hate the whole idea myself and I know that people are going to insist on having one at some point.

9. littledancer

littledancer Well-Known Member

Okay here's a question- let's say that you don't live near family and you don't have any close girlfriends that would organize one for you? I can't be the only nerd on here who doesn't have many friends- or am I lol?

I'm terrified it'll turn out like my bachlorette (my husband asked one of my bridesmaids to organize one for me, she didn't really want to take on the work so she only invited a few people the day before and nobody showed...except a few of her friends that I'd never met before...it was super humiliating)

10. britt1986

britt1986 Well-Known Member

I am having 2 baby showers. I am due October 17th and my sister-in-law is having one for me September 19th and my Aunt is having one for me October 3rd. Usually people have a baby shower a month or 2 before their due date. The only reason my aunt is having hers so late is because that was the only time she could do it. She is a really busy woman. Hopefully he doesn't decide to come before then. :dohh:

11. Try Rocking

Try Rocking Mommy to Amira and Remy

Just remember people want to give you gifts! It's not cheeky to have a list of what you need or what you'd like, it makes it easier for them if they know what you need!

I had my baby shower at 14 weeks because I live 6 hours away from most of my family and it was the only time that worked unless I want to be going down there for one in the middle of the winter (Hell no) and I've been informed I'll be given another one in the town I live at some point. They like to know there's a website or a list they can refer to if they need ideas as to what to get you.

Don't feel bad, people really do love giving gifts for the baby! Plus it's a great chance to have your friends and family together before your little one arrives :)

12. KZD

KZD Well-Known Member

wow..It's sooo common here in the US that it's weird NOT having 1..lol

usually, it's either 7th or 9th month...Mine will be on sept 26th, during my 7th month

13. Zeri

Zeri Well-Known Member

How horrible for you! :-( I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Most of my friends are abroad - I only have a few friends where I live. I'm not sure how many people will really be at my baby shower...probably just a few.

14. weimar

weimar New Member

I had a baby shower at about 8 months. Two of my close friends organised it for me and we went for afternoon tea at a very nice hotel:) It was a good change to the pampering baby showers I have been to before.

15. jelix9408

jelix9408 Mommy to Willow <3

im 29 weeks tomorrow and i had my babyshower on sunday. im not due till november 12th though. some people wait until there 8th month but im happy i did it in my 7th .. because now i know what i need to get and what i dont lol.
    i had about 50-60 people at mine. wouldve been more if my grandma wasnt in the hospita; but i had alot of people there.

16. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

I have the exact same problem. No family nearby and very few female friends. My 'bachelorette' party was my husband and me and about 10 people we both knew at a bar.

17. littledancer

littledancer Well-Known Member

I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

18. Shelby2007

Shelby2007 Khyler Rae born 1/26/10

Im due at the beginning of February/end of January.. and my Hostess wants to have mine at the beginning of November - ONLY because we dont want to stress anyone out around the holidays.. Thanksgiving/Christmas.. and we think January might be too late and everyone is still getting over the shock of buying Christmas presents.

Im compeletly fine with this too. =)

19. EmmanBump

EmmanBump Guest

Oh i want one now lol xx

20. cillybean83

cillybean83 Well-Known Member

I'm "technically" due January 9th but they're taking Mr. Man sometime in December due to the fact that he's more than likely going to be massive like his big brother was (9 pounds 3 ounces at 36 weeks gestation...yeah lol) so I would bet that he's here by Christmas, if not a few days after.

My baby shower is October 17th and I invited about 25 people, and I'm expecting about 15 to show up. I'm having a rubber ducky themed party...I'll upload pics of stuff we've gotten so far.

I didn't make a registry because I have all the big stuff...so I'll probably just get diapers, toys, clothes, etc

We're playing 3 games

1. You get a small plastic cup with a plastic baby frozen in ice in the cup...whoevers baby is "born" first (the ice melts completely and you can take your baby out of the cup) wins a prize

2. Everyone gets a necklace with a plastic pacifier on the end when they arrive. If someone is heard using the word "baby" at anytime during the shower, the person who hears them first gets to take their necklace. The person with the most necklaces at the end of the shower gets a prize.

3. Everyone gets 30 seconds to look at a tray full of baby items. (Bottles, binkys, bib, etc) the person who can remember the most items on the tray wins a prize.

Food will include:
    Finger sandwiches, pinwheel sandwiches, potato and macaroni salad, chips and dip, veggie platter, and punch

Sweets table will include:

Rubber ducky shaped caked, rubber ducky shaped cookies, rubber ducky cupcakes, duck shaped mints, blue and yellow m&ms, mixed nuts, and fruit tray

Party Favors:

[​IMG]

Balloons and Streamers in shower theme colors (blue, yellow, white)

[​IMG]

Diaper Cake (still a work in progress)

[​IMG]

Centerpieces, tableclothes, napkins, cups, plates, etc

[​IMG]

The cake:
    [​IMG]

The cookies:
    [​IMG]

The cupckaes:
    [​IMG]