When do you have to tell your employer???

cdj1

Mummy to 2 princes
Reaction score
Hi girls

I am currently 10 weeks pregnant and am jobseeking as I have a 13 month old and we need to move house! I have not told the employment agencies that I am pregnant as I didnt want it to stop people employing me as I fully intend to return to work after baby number 2 and hope to go back after 4/5 months....I just wondered when you HAVE to tell your employer you are pregnant and also is it illegal to get the sack from a job if you are pregnant, i.e. can they tell me I cant work there after maternity leave (I would be working for an individual not a company but still sign a contract)

Please help! Thanks! x

24 weeks from memory

You can't be sacked for being pregnant

If you're on a fixed contract, I guess they can just not re-new it and get rid of you that way

Telling your employer you intend to take Statutory Maternity Leave
You must tell your employer you want to take Statutory Maternity Leave at least 15 weeks before the beginning of the week your baby is due. If this is not possible (for example because you didn't realise you were pregnant), tell them as soon as possible. You need to say:
you are pregnant
when the baby is due
when you want to start your maternity leave (you can change the date later, if you give at least 28 days' notice)
Your employer might ask for notice in writing. They may also ask for a copy of form MAT B1, the maternity certificate, which says when the baby's due. Your doctor or midwife will give you a copy of the MAT B1 form after you have been pregnant for 21 weeks. They cannot give this to you any earlier.
After informing your employer that you want to take Statutory Maternity Leave, they should write to you within 28 days. They should confirm your Statutory Maternity Leave and give you the date your Statutory Maternity Leave will end

Source : https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parent...ilies/Pregnancyandmaternityrights/DG_10039631

Just to point out that any special protections you have will not take effect until you inform your employer of your pregnancy.
But saying that if you were to lose your job because they found out about your pregnancy the onus would be on you to prove that is what happened.
So I see why you want to keep it quiet :)

Yes plus this job I am hoping to get is basically my dream job! Don't wanna ruin my chances of getting it but hope once my feet are under the table they will be understanding about my pregnancy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->