• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

when do you say they can say a word ??

dali

Reaction score
as the title asks, just curious , do you class baby as being able to say a word
-when they can say it perfectly ( or near perfectly)
-when they copy you say it once or twice but dont use it themselves
-when they say it and you understand what they mean ( even if it is not the real word )

and do animal noises count as words? ie you ask " what does a cat say " and he says "miow" etc...

To me it's when they understand what they are saying and say it in a way that is an obvious attempt to say the real word.
Like for example my LO says 'ahk-ka' for 'ankka' (duck in Finnish) or 'at-tu' for 'hattu' (hat in Finnish) and he clearly knows what they mean.

My LO says cat but it comes out "dat" - he definately knows what it means and says it frequently. Like in the supermarket the other day he very loudly said "dat, dat, dat!!" while pointing at the pictures of cats in the cat food aisle lol

i would agree its when they know what it means, or repeat it frequently for a specific thing. my lo says ama ( mom) , aba (dad) wow - for everything he finds interesting, yes, no, this ( pointing at things he wants) , wot this? a new one - his first sentence!!

thanks yeah thats is pretty much what i thinkn too, as long as they know what they are saying and you can recognise it i count it as being able to say it, ie when lo say dog alot of the time it comes out "og" though he is starting to use the d more often now for dog, but when he was saying "og" and poitning at a dog , i classed that as saying dog.

was just wondering what other people classed as saying things. i remember when my niece was learning to talk my sister would usually write a word in her book as soon as she copied her say it, even if she had no idea what it meant or how to say it with out being told first.
thanks ladies... what about the animal noises? is miow a word , or is it just a sound ? lo makes the noises for cat , dog, snake, pig, cow, tiger and sheep when you ask him what they say... not sure if they count as words to go in his book though ?

When you can understand what they are trying to say and they know what it means :DBut even when they don't its still precious :cloud9:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"