When does it feel real? (My first)

adellademona

Reaction score
So I got my BFP on the 28th and my doc confirmed. My first OB appointment is the 17th...all I wanna know is when does it feel real? Im about 6 weeks along...Aside from the soreness in my breasts, occasional nausea, moodiness, mild cramps, bloating, etc...it doesn't actually feel real. I keep remembering at odd times that I'm pregnant and it just feels bizarre to say.

About 2 hours after your baby is born and you realise you can't shove it back in...

But really, probably about 16 weeks, when you have a neat little bump, and that's when I felt the first movements :)

That's about when it felt real...honestly for me it was knowing the gender...then I could stop referring to the baby as "it" and for some reason it just clicked that I was growing an amazing baby boy in my belly! For some people it doesn't happen until a few days after the baby is born. Try to talk or sing to the baby...sometimes that will help u feel like it's real...

It never feels real for me until they lay the baby on me after it comes out lol. I'm just not the type of person that really bonds with the baby until the baby is here.

I mean...is it too soon to "bond" with the little bean? Lol. Sometimes I lay with my hand under my belly where I feel the cramps and remind myself theres a baby growing in there. Because sometimes I forget.

I'm still really early so it doesn't seem real to me either. At 6 weeks, all I really feel is sore boobs and I came down with a cold but besides that I haven't had too many symptoms. I am really looking forward to my first appointment/scan, I have a feeling that once I see that there is indeed a little baby in there I will feel like this is real life.

I haven't been able to make my first appointment yet because I am waiting for my referral to go through but I am hoping for the 18, 19, or 20th of this month so we can see baby before thanksgiving break.

Did your doc tell you that they would do a scan at the first appointment? This is my first too and don't really know what goes on during the first appointment!

Plenty of people bond with the baby from the moment they see that second line. Some feel that bond when they first see the heartbeat or find out the sex or feel the first movements. And some don't until the baby is placed on them after birth or even sometimes days or weeks later. They're all variations of normal!

The doc said they would do an ultrasound to see how far along I am. I'm excited for that.

I don't think it ever really felt "real" until my daughter was born and in my arms lol. And even then I still couldn't believe it. She wasn't planned so I went through my whole pregnancy kind of feeling like the whole thing was unreal but in a good way haha.

I think once you get past the first tri and you can start feeling movements it starts to sink in a little more :)

I am also 6 weeks and once or twice a week the thought hits me like, I'm pregnant! I think that means I'm going to be a mother! And have my very own baby! That's like me and my partner combined! Lol...the rest of the time it just seems like a very very abstract idea. I'll have my scan at the end of the month to date, and then I plan to announce for Xmas if all goes well. By then I might be showing too, so I figure between all those things at some point it'll become 'real'?

I'm almost eighteen weeks and honestly my husband is helping me I think he feels like the baby is more real than I do. He talks about what kind of a mother I'm going to be. Is already planning on piano lessons, soft ball, fly fishing and looking up extra camping gear we will need. He's even started building a cradle for the baby and keeps asking what I like and don't like.

I'm going a little slower than he is. I think I am just a bit worried and I want to know the gender to really start bonding. I'm not showing yet and I have an anterior placenta so I don't think I've felt any movement. I do spend a ridiculous amount of time looking at the ultrasound pictures. Yesterday I came back in the house on my way out the door because I hadn't had my morning viewing of the baby yet.

This is my second and I am pinching myself every hour of the day. I agree with the ladies - even when you're in labour it doesn't actually feel real. Then this perfect baby comes out crying and all wrinkled and you're like "OK this is real!" :haha:

I think for me it started to hit home when we had the first ultrasound and saw a tiny but perfectly formed baby spinning around and madly kicking and punching. One week later, I could feel it. By the time I was feeling and seeing big movements, and knew she was a girl, it was very easy to talk about her as a person and imagine what she might be like.

I don't think the full extent of my new reality truly sunk in until she was around six weeks old, though, and I was starting to come out of the trance that labour leaves you in! I hardly remember the first four weeks lol.

P.S. I also got my BFP on October 28th two years ago, and was just four weeks gone. Baby was due July 5th and born July 11th. Good luck for the remainder of your pregnancy! Despite the icky bits, every stage is so wonderful. :)

This is my first as well and it still doesn't feel that real. Also, though my lower abdomen is definitely bigger, I still don't have a nice round bump yet and I don't think I will for a while. It's getting past the point where I just look poofy though. Honestly, the only times it feels real for me right now is at my OB appointments where I can hear the heartbeat. I think once I start feeling him move, it might become more real, but until that happens, I can't say for sure.

I am almost 12 weeks and it still doesn't feel real even though I have seen the little bean twice now and have heard the heartbeat. With my son it didn't feel real until I could feel him moving around. I especially LOVED it when he had the hiccups and I can't wait to feel that again with this one. I have another appointment in about 3 weeks and I really hope they can tell me the gender, that will help make it feel more real. Fingers crossed for team pink!!

For me it wasn't until I brought my daughter home that it really kicked in, she's mine forever. Although it started feeling real when I felt her kick and move around...but majorly kicked in when I brought her home haha

Great thread! Helps me realize that I'm not the only one who sometimes feels like it all might just be made up. Everyone talks about symptoms and feeling like crap. I feel fine.

Maybe some sore boobs, but otherwise, totally normal. And i think that feeds into it not feeling "real" for me.

It's comforting to hear others express similar feelings.

I am on my second, I don't feel like it's real yet. I'm about 11 wks, and I just feel sleepy, crabby, and bloated. My little girl has me running like crazy, so I completely forget that the reason my pants are feeling a bit snug is because there's a little munchkin in there :)

With my first, it hit me like a ton of bricks when she started kicking. Then super-real when dinnertime came and she'd kick me in the ribs 10 min into the meal! I'd eat dinner with my hand between her feet and my ribs!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->