When does reflux stop?

Reaction score
Eli has been taking Ranitidine since he was a month old. He had pretty bad reflux issues, which caused him to choke multiple times. We had it under control with medication and dropped the medicine to just night time. It wasn't an issues until recently. He's been waking a night spitting up acid and burping with a very acidic smell. We did just start him on cows milk (adding an oz at a time to his formula) on his birthday. Do you think the milk could be causing it? Is it a sign he's lactose intolerant? He eats yogurt every morning and cheese every now and then, doesn't have any issues with that. :shrug:

My little guy has been taking the same thing since 1 month as well, your LO has been taking it awhile! We see his paediatrician at the end of the month and he's going to decide whether we take him off the medicine. My doctor told me things get better around 5 months. Hmmm I wish I could be of help.

It is possible he has a slight cow milk sensitivity even if he didn't have issues with yogurt or cheese. You might try cutting out the milk and see if he improves. That said, my LO stopped needing ranitidine altogether at around 8/9 months but randomly had another reflux flareup at 12 months for no reason I could tell - there hadn't been any change in her diet at all. It went away on its own within a couple weeks :shrug:

We did drop his milk back down to 1oz with 6oz formula, he was up to 5oz cows milk before. Hopefully that'll help! I just hate giving him medicine all the time!

I breastfeed and my daughter is 4 months old. She started this horrific screaming and back arching at around 2 and a half months. She would also projectile vomit a lot. At the pediatrician's, she diagnosed her with reflux and prescribed renitadine. I hated the idea of giving her medicine and it tastes so strong but I hoped there would be some relief from the pain. I noticed that the only thing the medicine did was stop the vomiting altogether but the arching and screaming still persisted mainly at night and after every feeding. The dr was going to try stronger medication if she wasn't better by next appointment. I am the type of person that would rather deal with cramps by using a heat pad and relaxing instead of popping medication for ex and I feel the same way in my daughter's case so I did some research at home. I ended up stumbling across cow's milk allergy and decided to omit all milk products I had been consuming. I was having a glass of milk, butter and cheese daily or every other day. I noticed her arching and screaming was getting less and less every day and couldn't believe that by day 4 her screaming and arching had stopped completely. I am a little sad that the dr didn't suggest omitting milk products from my diet and instead is just quick to prescribe meds...blah. She is 4 months and her reflux symptoms from cows milk have never returned. So in your case it may be a cow's milk allergy :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"