when does yoyr supply settle with combi feeding?

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by tristansmum, Jun 12, 2013.

1. tristansmum

tristansmum Well-Known Member

So my son is almost 3 weeks and I've been bf and ff.... I know 3 weeks isn't long but its 3 weeks longer than I expected to bf so I'm pleased with myself. So I'm ff at night because I literally can't stand the bf at night and bf in the daytime. But my boobs are rock solid halfway though the night and really hurt by morning. So when will my body realise I don't need the milk at night????

2. tinytabby

tinytabby New mum

Well done for persevering with the bf!

I didn't combi feed but I reckon your supply will be all over the place till about 6 weeks - that's when most people's tends to calm down and settle into a more regular production.

Feed as much as you can in the day to make sure you keep making milk (though it sounds like you have a healthy supply), and relieve the pressure a little at night by gently hand expressing off the worst of it. The more you stick to this routine the less milk you should make at night.

Alternatively, you could pump once in the middle of the night and save the milk to feed to your LO. Apparently the middle of the night milk is full of sleep inducing properties!

3. Maxy1

Maxy1 Well-Known Member

I believe that the best time for making milk is after 2am, your body just loves to do it then!! I agree with pp, it will be ok to relieve the pressure by expressing a little during the night. I think its about 6 weeks for supply to settle down regardless of whether combi feeding or not.