When going out?

Mummatobe

Mum of 1
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm making my bottles up in batches and keeping them in the fridge. Obv they only last 2 hours after you get them out. What do you do if you were going out for the whole day? My lo is only a week old and I haven't ventured out the house yet only to go to the shop and visits family members.

Thanks in advance

I take water out in a bottle and powder out and mix it when I need it .. You ave to use it straight away though..

Or just take a carton and a bottle out

I take water in a flask and keep the powder separate :thumbup:

When you keep the water and powder separate, which is what I think we will do when we go out, what temp does the water stay at? Do you boil and cool the water for 30mins, pop it in a sterilised bottle and away you go? Or do you refrigerate it first/put it into an insulated bottle carrier? xx

I either take a carton, or take a flask of hot water - just bought the tommee tippee one which holds enough to make 3 feeds for Freya and you can use the top to cool it. I used to just put boiling water in a bottle, and it would be lukewarm by the time she needed it, but so many people on here were saying how bad it was and it put me off! x

I either take a carton, or take a flask of hot water - just bought the tommee tippee one which holds enough to make 3 feeds for Freya and you can use the top to cool it. I used to just put boiling water in a bottle, and it would be lukewarm by the time she needed it, but so many people on here were saying how bad it was and it put me off! x

Ah great I was looking into the TT one, so that keeps water warm but also is clever enough to cool the water down as well? xx

If I'm going out and lo needs feeding in about an hours time, I just make a fresh one up and put it in the bag. It's cooled ot the right temp by the time he wants ti x

I bring a carton that way it doesn't matter x
Initially i was bringing a cooler box with freezer blocks in them and then warming up the bottle,but cartons are more expensive but the way to go!!

Thanks, will look at the tommee tipee flask.

I've looked at the ready made cartons, although it looks a diff consistentcy to the powder formula. Is she likely to take this ok?

Thanks, will look at the tommee tipee flask.

I've looked at the ready made cartons, although it looks a diff consistentcy to the powder formula. Is she likely to take this ok?

She should take it ok - Pud does and she's a fussy devil! TBH, if it's only 1 feed, I just use a carton, but if we're out all day, I use the flask. Cartons are great but at 60-odd pence per carton, I can't do 3 feeds like that! x

Apparently things are very different there from in the US. But- I take a little cooler bag with a few ice packs and bottles. Keeps them just as cold as, if not colder than in the fridge. I take it out about 15 minutes before she needs to feed and hold it in my hand to warm it a little.

I use Dr Browns bottles so they can't be shaken.

Hello - Ive been wondering the same thing. Why is it not a good idea to make up bottles with boiling water? Ive been letting the water in the kettle cool down but it still seems very hot when I put it in the bottles tbh. Anyone?
xx

If we're out all day what I did with Earl was I would take his next bottle out of the fridge and put that in the bag as is. This would be used first. I would then take a clean bottle (sterile) and a carton and some nail scissors. I also had self-sterilising bottles which you could put in the microwave on their own, and most places are willing to sterilise bottles unlike re-heating (less chance of injuries) so I would ask to do that, and then repeat as necessary. I would ALWAYS have at least 2 cartons in the bag to begin with, until I knew exactly how and when Earl needed feeding. If in doubt I would take 2-3 sterile bottles too lol. Made the bag a bit bulky but Earl was a fussy baby when hungry so i'd rather do all of that and have an 'instant' feed, than have to wait for bottles to cool/warm up.

Hello - Ive been wondering the same thing. Why is it not a good idea to make up bottles with boiling water? Ive been letting the water in the kettle cool down but it still seems very hot when I put it in the bottles tbh. Anyone?
xx

I thought that this was due to BPA content in bottles. However, I thought that in the UK all bottles now sold are BPA free for that reason. :shrug: You're supposed to let the water cool for 15-30 minutes to 70 degrees or thereabouts (still steaming to the eye and too hot to put your finger in lol) and that should kill everything off without causing chemicals to leach. However, if your bottle is BPA free there shouldn't be an issue, and I always just used boiling water (used self sterilising/steam sterilising bottles anyway so they're exposed to boiling water anyway :shrug:)

I think that's the reason. Could have changed in the last 2 years though. :shrug:

I also had self-sterilising bottles which you could put in the microwave on their own, and most places are willing to sterilise bottles unlike re-heating (less chance of injuries) so I would ask to do that, and then repeat as necessary.

Where did you get these from??

xx

Apparently some people say it's because the nutrients in the milk can be destroyed if the water is too hot. I've rung HiPP thou recently and they told me this is rubbish, and that they are told they have to say wait 30 minutes to reduce the risk of scalding! I do mine as soon as the kettles boiled because if I don't, I forget and go wandering round or playing with Pud, and don't remember until the kettles got cold! Then I have to pour it out and start all over......... Pud's a chunky little monkey - she's definitely not short on nutrients! x

I also had self-sterilising bottles which you could put in the microwave on their own, and most places are willing to sterilise bottles unlike re-heating (less chance of injuries) so I would ask to do that, and then repeat as necessary.

We used the Mothercare steriliser bottles with Earl but the reviews are atrocious now as they seem to have changed the design. Reviews are better for, nd so we'll probably buy for this baby, these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Self-Steri...TV96/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322164199&sr=8-1

We used the Mothercare steriliser bottles with Earl but the reviews are atrocious now as they seem to have changed the design. Reviews are better for, nd so we'll probably buy for this baby, these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Self-Steri...TV96/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322164199&sr=8-1

Thanks, I'll look into these :)

On a similar note, does anyone know how long bottles remain sterile for once they have been removed from the steriliser? I am thinking about when we go out and take cartons and a sterile bottle, how long the bottle is 'safe' to use for....?

I'd recommend cartons for out and about. So easy, no mixing necessary and no bulky flask!

what happened to the good old days when you used to make the bottles up for the entire day and whack them in the microwave to heat them up!!!???!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->