When is average time your baby started babbling consonants

littlesprout

Reaction score
My son is a little over 8 months old. He is an extremely engaging child, always smiles, and is very interested in people. He is always trying to pull on someone to get attention. He has hit all his milestones pretty early. He is extremely mobile, crawling, pulling up, standing on his own for a few seconds, walking when holding on to our coffee table, he's even already started trying to climb up on the couch. He knows how to work his toys and what they do.
All this being said, I find myself wondering about his speech. He makes plenty of noises, exclaims loudly, and blows raspberries. However, he hasn't started saying any consonants yet. I am a stay at home mom, so I pretty much spend my entire day talking to him. I am not worried exactly, I was just wondering when other mom's babies started working consonants into babbling just so I have an idea. I know its too early to be considering any real problems and all babies develop differently....I'm just curious :)
THANKS!!!

Around ten months. Up till then it was mainly cooing sounds, out of the blue one day she started with the "bababababa", etc. sounds.

My LO was pretty early with "dadada", maybe around 6 months? But she hasn't made any other consonant sounds yet.

Thanks guys, this makes me feel better. My only other mom friend's little boy was babbling all kinds of stuff at like 7 1/2 months. I guess he was just early. I hear the occasional "mama" sound but that's it, and reading on the internet is scary cause if you even mention your kid maybe being behind on his talking the first thing you hear is "autism". Good to know he's not behind :)

My LO started babbling at 6 months (baba, mama, gaga, etc) but she still does a lot of squealing and grunting too. I really wouldn't be worrying about autism at 8 months, especially since your LO is so social and is vocal in other ways. It's just a matter of time before he finds a consonant he likes and starts playing with it :flower:

My LO has started babbling the past 2 weeks... she says oh, mama, and baba. But I work on it a lot with her since we're stuck in the house all day, she literally stares at my lips when I make these sounds and she repeats them (especially when she's really upset, she likes to say ma-ma-ma). Trying to work on dada next haha Every baby is different, my niece didn't start babbling till around 10 months, she's 2 years old now and still doesn't say too much.

They are all different.
DD is already babbling "mama" and "baba" at six months but DS honestly never really babbled consonants at all. Really just vowel sounds and gurgles until over a year anyway. Apparently from his baby book he did say "bababa" at nine months but it definitely wasn't a regular thing. He really pretty much skipped the babbling stage and just went straight to talking with meaning. He was quite a late talker and didn't really talk much until he was two, but now his speech is brilliant and the nurse said at his three year check that his language was advanced for his age.

Within the 8th month for Julian. He still has some days where he'll go on about "dadadada" "blahblahblah" "mamama" forever, and then a few days with just raspberries, loud yelling, and other vowel noises.

My LO has only just started this past week. She says mamamama all the time now. Bababa, hahaha, wawawa but still no dadada.
I really wouldnt worry, ur LO is a day younger than mine. She has also been focused on physical things, can stand alone, cruises everything, crawls etc. i think speech is her lowest priority haha xx

My lo is very vocal and first said 'mom' at 19 weekks. She can do mamama and gaga with lots of squeals and various weird noises inbetween lie a pp who has an early talker she really watches my lips when i make the sounds at her slowly, and also goes 'mamama mmmmm ' when shes upset. Shes not interested in moving much or rolling tho and has only rolled a few times. Guess its their different personalities! Aparently i was an early talker but my mom took me to the doc cos she was worried i wasnt crawling. The doctor said 'she's just lazy'! :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->