when is it ok to stpp sterilising bottles?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by BellaBoo0512, Oct 11, 2013.

1. BellaBoo0512

BellaBoo0512 Well-Known Member

Thomas is 5 months old and the steriliser seems to be playing up. We only bought it just before he was born.. Its a tommee tippee one and it seems to stay on when the water has gone... usually it switches itself off automatically. At the moment I'm turning it off after 5 minutes so they are still sterilised but I was just wandering when to stop?

2. felix555

felix555 Well-Known Member

A lot of people stop at 6 months, I will personally sterilising as long as my baby has bottles but I have a cold water steriliser so I find it quite easy to wash them and pop them in there until I need them.

Really don't see any harm in you stopping now though, provided you wash them properly with really hot water.

3. katherinegrey

katherinegrey Well-Known Member

I think the guidelines say a year, I will personally be sterilising up to the year mark.

4. Cinderella

Cinderella Pregnant with number 1

At 3 months we've stopped doing it all the time, i.e. generally, the bottles will still get a sterilise if they've been left too long without cleaning, otherwise just a wash in soapy water.

We like germs in our family though, I know that sounds odd, but I don't want things too clean and sterile.

5. chipsticks

chipsticks Well-Known Member

I stopped at 1 year, the only answer to this question, in my opinion, is whenever you feel it to be the right time! I know a few people who never sterilised anything!

6. ARuppe716

ARuppe716 Well-Known Member

Stopped around 4 months. I asked the dr and he basically said it was unnecessary, especially as our water is treated and we don't live in a third world country!!

7. skye93

skye93 DS#1 9/1/13 #2 on the way

It's not recommended to sterilise in Australia anymore, we stopped at 4 months

8. BellaBoo0512

Think I'll have to get a new steriliser. Don't really want to stop sterilising yet, just incase.

Thanks for all your replies!

9. Indi84

Indi84 Well-Known Member

For a cheapie option, I loved cold water sterilising, just need a bucket and Milton, done!
    After six months I just wash them top shelf in the dishwasher, which is even easier lol!

10. BellaBoo0512

I don't have a dishwasher unfortunately :( I am the dishwasher in this house lol!

11. kimberleyrobx

kimberleyrobx Well-Known Member

I was wondering this too but hadnt gotten round to asking! Nathan is almost 8 months now and we are still sterilizing... I think we stopped sterilizing emilys bottles when she was 10 months. I didnt even think about stopping, it was my mum that told me it was no longer necessary! And thats when we started her on 'big girls bottles' too xx

12. Midnight_Fairy

Midnight_Fairy New baby J

Stopped at 6mo

13. Jadie

Jadie Well-Known Member

I've not heard that! Do you have a reference? :)

14. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I steralize out of the new package and then wash with hot soapy water after that. That's following the recommendation of my pediatrician who I asked after reading those directions on the Dr Brown Bottles box.

15. Trishg21

Trishg21 Zoë's mom

We've never used a sterilizer :shrug: I just run bottles under the hottest water I can and use the bottle brush and a little bit of soap.

16. minties

minties Complete

3 months in NZ.

17. My_First

My_First Well-Known Member

Just as an aside and not answering your question, but have you descaled it, I found mine started to do this without regular descaling. Or if it is knackered take it back to the shop for a replacement, it shouldn't give up after 4 months!

18. laila 44

laila 44 Well-Known Member

My dr says its fine to stop at 4 months. Once they start putting objects in their mouths, sterilizing is pointless. It's only until they build some immunity and by 4 months it's plenty.

19. Rachel89

Rachel89 Well-Known Member

I;ll be sterilizing till LO is off of formula. The bacteria formed from formula milk is not the same as the bacteria that they lick off of the floor, and because of that it is important to sterilize their bottles while drinking formula. Of course the chances are small, so to each their own. I know people who only sterilze them when they're new and after that just wash them with soap and water (not hot water).

20. amjon

amjon Guest

We've never once sterilized a bottle. We rinse them and then run them through the dishwasher at night.