When LO doesnt like something...

Connah'sMommy

Reaction score
I have just cooked jacket potatos with prawns in marie rose sauce for tea since its just me and Connah. OH is working til late so i make him a seperate meal.

So i plated it up and put connahs prawns and sauce on the side as always (funny bugger doesnt like his food to mix :dohh: ) and set it in front of him at the table. Sat down myself to eat and he is trying it, hes trying it over and over but pulling faces. I didnt put alot of sauce on as its a strong taste so should be mild enough but im guessing its just something he doesnt like:shrug:

Like i said, hes trying it over and over but still looking unsure.

Im sneakily on the laptop at the table here (naughty mummy) but i need to know what to do:blush: Should i leave him to it with the food he has until he asks to get down? Or should i give him something else?

I dont usually have this problem with Connah but this is something new for him and im wondering for the future too wether i should offer alternatives?

thanksxx

didnt want to r&r but not really sure. when ruby stopped eatting veg i kept giving it to her tho.... but i think its different xxx

he is chatting away to me here and trying it still...hes eaten some potato but trying to avoid any of the sauce...think im gonna leave him for now....

I'd leave it till he gets fed up then offer a substantial healthy dessert (fruit, nat yog) regardless of whether he finished his main.

Personally I don't offer alternatives: I think that it is a slippery slope...

The prawns and sauce are on the side? He likes jacket potato? Maybe a bit of butter on the potato and he will eat that? Then give dessert/fruit as normal (that is what I do).

My son was being odd with tea tonight - didn't want his salmon, baked potato and cauliflower (all of which he likes). Also didn't want his peach afterwards.... Very unlike him, but I cleared away and didn't make a fuss.

Maybe not make it again for him, but give him bits of yours when you have it again (ie so that he might refuse bits of yours, but nit a whole meal?)?

I'd leave it till he gets fed up then offer a substantial healthy dessert (fruit, nat yog) regardless of whether he finished his main.

thanks,we usually do natural yoghurt with fruits anyways so i suppose he could have a bigger helping of that x

I don't do alternatives either, although if Grace refuses to eat what I've offered at all, I will give her a little snack (like a couple of Organix crisps) and a healthy pudding that I know she will. So far I've found that if I offer a new food enough times she eventually starts to like it.

If I make somethin new for lo that she hasnt had and she doesnt like it/eat it I will make her something else to eat. Even is its just more pudding.

If its something I know shes had before and does like but shes just not eating I wont make her anything else at all

Right well he ate all the potato and id cooked a spare (always do this,no idea why) so i scraped out the potato in that and gave him more of it. Not an alternative but at least it was a little more for him. He did keep trying the prawns bless him, so proud of him for that...even if at one point he did say...'its mingin mummy' :haha:

Gave him a good portion of yoghurt and strawberries for afters.

Dont think ill make him that again in a hurry but i think it went pretty well with him not kicking up a fuss :Dxx

sounds good to me :) well done to him!! my LO prob wouldnt eat prawns xxxxxx

I think they have to try something about 10 times before they decide if they actually like it.

Maybe next time do the prawns plain with the sauce on the side for him to dip? He may have actually like it but the tang of the sauce wasnt nice for him?

Evie ALWAYS pulls a face when eating gooseberries as they are quite sharp but eats them all and like them :haha:

I prepare an alternative (something I know he likes) if I introduce something new. He will not touch something new if I dont trick him to try it, if he spits it out or gags, I dont try to offer him more, & I give him the alternative but if he's fine with it & starts to get used to it's taste, even if doesnt eat much, I dont offer him the other food. xx

if amelie eats something and its obvious she doesnt like it, i will give her some toast or cereal instead. I dont give her stuff i know she hates (like salad, or couscous) as i think thats a bit cruel.

I have also found prawns get the thumbs down! I don't normally make an alternative either, unless as someone else mentioned its the first time he has tried something and I'm not sure if he likes it. Extra yoghurt would be my call too x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->