When should I start OPK

abbyc9040

Reaction score
I came off my birth control last month as me and my boyfriend have decided to TTC #1. I didn’t use any OPK or taking temps last month we did DTD a lot but my period decided to show 27 days after stopping the pill on November 18th. I bought the advanced clearblue ovulation tests and I’m patiently waiting to start using them. AF is almost over and I’m on CD 7-8 right now. I’m wondering when I should start the OPK tests? I definitely don’t want to miss my ovulation. However off the pill my periods range from 28-45 days so I never know how long my cycle will be. Thank you for your help! Hoping this is the month!

Since you haven't long been off bc and your cycles vary, I would buy some cheap OPK strip tests and use those daily for now, at least 2-3 times a day until you see your surge. I would also buy a BBT thermometer (you can find them cheap on Amazon, buy the one with four numbers, not three numbers) and start temping so you know when you ovulated rather than guessing with OPKs as these only tell you when you're probably about to ovulate rather than when and if you definitely did.
You could get a surge and not ovulate, only to have another surge later on and ovulate then, but if you're solely relying on OPKs and you take their readings as gospel then there's a chance you may miss ovulation completely. You don't have to temp forever, but perhaps it's a good idea to use both OPKs and temping at least until your cycles have regulated and ovulation has fallen into some kind of predictable ish pattern, then if you want to and you feel confident enough, you could do away with them and just go with things.

Oh, and I would start them as soon as your period has finished as sometimes you can ovulate almost immediately after, it's unusual l but isn't unheard of

As always, cupcake is right! You really can't use your BC cycles to base your fertile cycles off of. In fact, if you are charting with Fertility Friend, they recommend that you remove those cycles from your statistics, even if it means basically starting fresh. Until you get a feel for your cycles, OPK every day. I really like the Babii brand on Amazon -- you can get a 50-pack for about $12 USD.

I completely agree with Dill. I am always right. Joke ;)
But honestly Dill is right, probably best leaving out the bc cycles, I only took Microgynon for three weeks and it made my cycle about 40 days instead of my then 24 days

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->