When to come of BCP before TCC

Discussion in 'Waiting To Try' started by Pinkgirl, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl Well-Known Member

Hey Ladies just a question really.

When do you think is the best time to come off BCP before TCC.
    I have been on them for a few years so thinking i should give my body at least 6 months???? on not being on them before me and OH TTC.

What do you ladies think?

2. Dream.A.Dream

Dream.A.Dream Mum to 6yo and WTT #2!

Asap really, can take a long time for your cycles to settle. Mine have been a bit messed up for at least 7 months xx

3. kate.m.

kate.m. Mummy to Travis

Hiya,
    Im not an expert, but i heard it was about 6 months too!

4. Vesta

Vesta Mum of 1. WTT #2

I asked my doctor about this last month, when I went for a repeat perscription for the pill. I've been on it for 6 years but she said there was no need to wait. We can start TTC as soon as I've come off the pill.

5. babyblog

babyblog Well-Known Member

There's no reason why you can't get pregnant straight away-the moment u stop u are the most fertile, then it cam drop for up to a year. I came off it in Nov 07 and my cycles were back to normal one year later, i got my BFP in March, my friend thought she would just come straight off it, but her periods have stopped so she doesn;t know if she is ovulating yet or not.Come off it, give your body a break and then start TTC i would say!

6. MaryJ

MaryJ Mom of 1 soon to be 2!

DO NOT believe that the coming off the pill means it's going to take you 6 months to conceive. DON'T come off it till your ready. Danny Boy is living proof that it doesn't always take very long to get knocked up. He was conceived a month later. We were planning on 6 months before I would be fertile again.

7. calm

calm Well-Known Member

My mum stopped BCP and the next month there I was, and from what she said, this happens quite a lot. Of course each person is different, you can come of BCP and just use good old condoms until you are ready to TTC.

8. dan-o

dan-o RMC's but mum to 3 now!

We tried like mad from the first day & I fell pg within 6 months (sadly ended in MC tho)
    I'd say it took me about 4 cycles for my hormones to settle nicely & for me to get the hang of charting.
    You could always come off & use condoms/spermicide until 100% ready? :) xx

9. louibee

louibee Active Member

It varies from woman to woman, If it were me I would stop right away since it could take up to a year to get your cycles back to normal, of course you can get pregnant right away so if you are completely sure you don't want to get pregnant I would use another method of BC after you get off the pill, If you don't mind not getting pregnant right away you could get off of it as soon as you are ready to TTC and just relax and see how things go, I know that for me I would like to have my cycle back to normal when I'm ready to TTC, I don't think I can take the stress of did I ovulate or not while TTCing.

10. toffee87

toffee87 Well-Known Member

Atleast 6 months x

11. SpecialK

SpecialK Well-Known Member

This is just my case so obviously won't apply to everyone. I had totally regular cycles before I started BCP at 19 years old. I just assumed I would go back to normal when I went off. Well...11 years later not so much. I went off BCP last April and I have had irregular cycles since. My last two being 58 and 86 days.

Not that going off them any earlier would have changed the outcome, but I would have known about the irregularity earlier and would not be dealing with this so close to when I wanted to TTC. It would have given me time to go to the doctor and discuss my plans. Hindsight is always 20/20!!

12. bailey4eva

bailey4eva Mummy to Jake :)

Hiya! I heard that 3 months was a decent time to wait, but hear that that is so that your cycle can become more regular and your dating will be better. I am not 100% sure if there are any problems with trying straight away. I came off pill and got PG straight away, I wasnt expecting this but I knew it COULD happen so maybe you could come off the BCP and use another method like already mentioned until you are ready, or not prevent if you are happy to get PG straight away. I hope this helps, its mainly upto you really :) x x x

13. Pinkgirl

Hey girls thanks for your replies.

As i said we are WTT and still will be WTT just we will use other BC. I have been on them a while so wanted my body to settle back into cycles and so on. Quite a few people have said 6 months+. Dont want a bfp just yet as sorting out the new house! lol
    x

14. MaryJ

MaryJ Mom of 1 soon to be 2!

I wasn't thinking about using a different method of BC with my earlier post :blush:. Sounds like you've got a pretty good plan for yourself.

15. Pinkgirl

Aww thankyou hun. As i cant remember what my periods were like before i went i pill i thought it was wise to give my body time to get back to 'normal'. One reason i went on pill from what i remember was to regulate me as i have PCOS. OH is fine with using other forms of bc. Probably come off the end of summer.
    Never know OH might get bored and start to TTC earlier
    :muaha:
    x

16. venusrockstar

venusrockstar ~Aspiring Photographer~

I have been off my pills for 2 1/2 months now...we are using condoms every time for now until we TTC in July.

By the time we TTC I will have been off them for 5 or so months I think...

17. Lemacy

Lemacy Pregnant with #1!

I would get off BCP sooner rather than later and just use condoms or other methods until you are ready to TTC. Personally, being the impatient person that I am, I didn't want to have to wait longer for my body to "normalize". I wanted things in "working order" for when the time came. I got off BCP in Aug 2008 and we are TTC our first cycle right now. I'm glad I did it this way as it has also given me a chance to get to know my body's natural (non BCP) rhythm in the mean time. Hope this helps!

18. Pinkgirl

Venusrocker: Thankyou hun for you reply

Lamacy: 'Impatient' sounds just like me lol- Thats exctly how i feel, i want my body to 'normalise' and want to get to know my body before we TTC. Thankyou for your reply, will keep looking in TTC hoping you get you BFP soon hun x