When to get mirena out?

ttc bubby no2

mummy of 2
Reaction score
We are considering TTC#3 this time next year but since I had issues with irregular cycles before I'm wondering when a good time to get my mirena removed would be?

I worry that if I get it out too soon to 'be prepared' I might just decide at the spur of the moment to just see what happens and end up pregnant (which probably wouldn't happen since we had trouble TTC both times before!). I really don't trust my self control in this area as I am clucky now but for a lot of reasons it would not be a good time at the moment to have another baby.

I say a few months before you want to try. It can take a while for your body to normalize after Mirena.

I have heard you can start TTC right after Mirena. I think some conceive fairly easy right away. I work with a girl that got prego 2 weeks after having it removed!

Some people can get pregnant right away, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. There can be problems with the endometrium not being thick enough. Others, like myself, stop ovulating on Mirena. Whether due to concerns about the endometrium or concerns about whether or not you're ovulating, it's best to not ttc immediately after having Mirena out.

Thanks for the replies.

I would probably want to wait at least one cycle but a few months sounds like a good idea to give my body time to adjust. I had trouble with cycles returning after the pill so I worry it would be a problem again.

Currently I seem to actually be ovulating still with mirena. I'm not temping but I have very strong ovulation signs so I have learnt to know when it happens. My periods are really light but that is normal with mirena. My other issue I have is a short luteal phase so it is something I will have to deal with once we start TTC again :)

By the time we TTC I will have had mine out for 5 months. I was really unsure of how long it would take for my cycles to regulate once having it removed (I still got my period with the Mirena and my cycles were anywhere from 22-36 days long) so I wanted to give my body some time to try and regulate on its own. So far my cycles have 24 and 26 days respectively, and I am currently in cycle 3 off of Mirena and I ovulated on CD 16, so I am hoping for a good luteal phase this cycle. I have also heard of lots of people commenting on the thinness of the endometrial lining the first cycle(s) after Mirena, so that would be another benefit to having it removed earlier.

We have been relying on condoms since I had it removed, and I sure didn't miss them from my teenage years that is for sure.

Hello,
I had my Mirena out the first week of January and I am considering last cycle (March) to be my first "normal" cycle I had sence. We are just starting our first TTC cycle, but we were NTNP a few cycles, but I knew my body wasn't ready yet. Hoping that it is ready to go now!

From experiance, and I know everyone is different, I would wait 3-4 cycles. That way you won't stress too much and your body will get back to what is "normal" for you.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"