When to go to the docs for fertility help ...

fizz63

Reaction score
I am 38 (just) and my oh is 47. We have been trying to conceive for only about 3 months now which i know is not long at all. However, i am wondering at what stage, should we go to the docs to be referred for fertility help etc.

I have had my blood tests done recently and everything is within normal limits (my fsh was below 6) and my oh had a sperm test last year and everything was normal for him too.

I am just wondering at what stage we should go back to the docs and ask for help. When i saw my doc recently and i told her i had been trying 4 or 5 months (slight white lie obviously) she said they wouldnt refer us and implied it was far too early.

But bearing in mind i am 38 and he is 47 ... i dont feel that we want to wait too long. Or should the fact that we have both got ok tests back at present, indicate that everything is ok and we should just keep trying ? My oh has a son already so i do know that we wouldnt receive free treatment on the nhs, which financially is also a concern.

Sorry for the long post but other than checking my fsh, what else can they check ? I have heard that you can have scans etc to make sure everything is ok but i dont know what these entail.

:shrug:

Since you've already been checked out, I gather that you had tried TTC before and don't have any children? If that's the case, then you may have already been TTC-ing enough to get more tests done (like checking tubes, etc.).

In any case, above 35 years of age, 6 months of TTC without a pregnancy is considered infertile.

i dont have any children and he has the one (in his teens). Its complicated but we decided to get checked out before we started trying properly. We didnt however start trying until a few months ago.

Hmmm, then I doubt a doctor will start looking into your problems until the 6 mo mark. Maybe you could wait two more months (I know, super painful) and then make an appointment at exactly the 6 mo mark?

The doctors may then check other hormone levels, check if your tubes are clear, and see if you look good from the inside (ultrasound).

Maybe you could negociate a month early if you plead. I really hope it works out for you!

I can only tell you that my dr. told me to come see her if I was unsuccessful after 3 months. I'm only 32. I'm giving it longer than that because I didn't chart for the first 3 months and I feel like I want to take in 3 months worth of data.

I think they can check your tubes to make sure there isn't a blockage but I'm unfamiliar with the process.

All I can say is, if you're charting, take those with you and if you're not charting, maybe you should.

Good luck hunni.

Hi there,

Did you have CD21 progestrone levels checked?? Might be worth asking them to do them. I think for over 35's they do tend to investigate much earlier.

Good luck! :dust:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->