When to Inseminate with One Vial

PinkLuv24

Reaction score
Hello-
I'm new to this and my first cycle with using an Ova Cue Monitor to help pinpoint my exact day of ovulation, and plan to test with an OPK to confirm. I will be using one vial of unwashed, frozen ICI sperm at home, unassisted. My question is when to inseminate? Most of the info I have seen says 12 hours after + OPK but I feel nervous bc I've never had any luck with using them (no positives even though I know I ovulate) so any experience/advice on when to inseminate with one vial of ICI? Thanks so much in advance!

I would do it 24hours after positive opk and maybe 36 hours. Iui is typically done 36 hours after positive opk/trigger.

Is this sperm you froze or received from a bank?

It is frozen from bank and I only have one vial to do it in one shot! Maybe it would be better to wait a month and get two vials! I'm feeling impatient and like most everyone am hoping it works the first time! Thanks for the input!

Maybe with two you could do it 24 hours then 36 hours post.
Hopefully others with experience chime in. Good luck!

Since your doing insemination with ICI vial I would use it the day of or within 24 hours of your + OPK as long as you have fertile CM the sperm can wait on the egg for several hours. inseminating vaginally they will need time to swim into the uterus and find the egg just like with intercourse.:dust:

Thanks! Any input is helpful....I'm new to this and cost is definitely a factor when going this route. I've just never had any positive OPK's....has anyone had luck with one vial on the first try? Advice/experience? Thanks in advance!

I would personally do it as soon as you get a +
An egg only survives for around 12 hours once released and ideally you need mature sperm ready and waiting in the tubes.
Sperm can take a few hours to get to the tubes and then another 12-24 hours to mature before it can enter the egg.
If you leave it 36 hours after your + opk as some have suggested you risk missing the egg altogether.
Sperm can live for up to 5 days so personally I'd opt for on the earlier side not the later.
Good luck

Lisap-that's what I was thinking too with ICI since they do need time to swim up into the uterus and you can ovulate 12-48 hours after a + OPK. And LoraLee-the tricky part with frozen sperm is their maximum effective period is only 24 hours. They can survive a little longer but not as long as fresh sperm and not as motile after 24 period. I'm hoping since I've never had good luck with the OPK's if the OvaCue can help pinpoint the smaller window I have to work with. Has anyone used an OvaCue or been successful with one vial and when did you inseminate? Any input on reliable OPKs? I've read it's best to test several times per day but that the IC aren't always reliable (just like IC pg tests). Thanks!

I never reLised the frozen sorry didn't last as long. Best of luck!

I use the blue handle wondfos that say lh on them. They are reliable. Same as cb digital opk.

Are you sure you are ovulating? Have you had day 21 progesterone levels?

LoraLoo-thanks! Neither did I! I'm glad I asked the bank bc I thought it was the same as fresh! Hopefully some more people can chime in who have experience with it too! I'm definitely a newbie to this method....and I'm finding it much more stressful 😔

How are you with other signs of ovulation like cm, ovulation pain? I can usually tell when I'm ovulating by these alone but I know not everyone gets those signs.
There's also temping to consider?
It may be worth signing up to fertility friend if you haven't already, especially as you have that smaller window than normal.
Can't really think of anything else. I know you can get extra sensitive opk tests and they may be worth a try too if you aren't getting positives.
I'll be keeping an eye out for you and how you get on 😊

I would personally do it as soon as you get a +
An egg only survives for around 12 hours once released and ideally you need mature sperm ready and waiting in the tubes.
Sperm can take a few hours to get to the tubes and then another 12-24 hours to mature before it can enter the egg.
If you leave it 36 hours after your + opk as some have suggested you risk missing the egg altogether.
Sperm can live for up to 5 days so personally I'd opt for on the earlier side not the later.
Good luck

The process of human sperm capacitation takes 5-7 hours, rat sperm takes 12-24 hours, but it was found that they do this in waves , over several hours so there is always sperm ready every few hours after the initial capacitation process approx 4-5 hours.

Lisap-that's what I was thinking too with ICI since they do need time to swim up into the uterus and you can ovulate 12-48 hours after a + OPK. And LoraLee-the tricky part with frozen sperm is their maximum effective period is only 24 hours. They can survive a little longer but not as long as fresh sperm and not as motile after 24 period. I'm hoping since I've never had good luck with the OPK's if the OvaCue can help pinpoint the smaller window I have to work with. Has anyone used an OvaCue or been successful with one vial and when did you inseminate? Any input on reliable OPKs? I've read it's best to test several times per day but that the IC aren't always reliable (just like IC pg tests). Thanks!

Some RE's are saying frozen sperm once thawed can last for up to 74 hours in the body. some sites still say 24 hours and some say 36 hours so the jury is still out on this, I would still inseminate on the day or evening of your + opk. for me the wondfo strip OPKs are accurate I would test twice a day to hopefully catch the beginning of the surge.

Wow! Thanks ladies! This is all very helpful info 😊 yes I did start temping a few days ago but have never been much for noticing the signs of ovulation except for the EWCM I do notice that at times. And I did see the Wondfo OPK's on Amazon with mixed reviews so maybe the best idea is to take this month to try out the OvaCue, Temping and OPK's rather than rush it and risk missing my window and wasting $. I'm also taking Fertil-Aid and OvaBoost and have heard straight Vitex/Chasteberry and Evening Primrose can aid in fertility/friendly cervical fluid. And maybe then next month I would be able to afford two vials instead of just one to get the maximum coverage. Grr....I just want to be pg now! Lol.

I did iui with frozen (1vial) the day of Ovulation did trigger 36hours b4 and got my first ever bfp bur it ended in a chemical

If I did do two vials I am thinking the best times would be either immediately after my first + OPK and 24 hours later, or 12 hours after first + OPK and then another 12 or 24 after? What are your thoughts?

If I had two ICI vials I would inseminate on the day of or evening of + opk and again the next day just like with intercourse, and insert a menstrual cup after to keep them at the cervix, if it were a IUI vial I would have IUI done at 24-36 hours after + opk. best of luck:dust::dust:

Wannabe81-thanks and sorry for your loss. I didn't even know I could get pregnant until May but unfortunately ended in an early m/c. They had to induce a period so I know in my heart I need to wait this cycle to let my body get back to normal (even though medically I was told I didn't "have" to wait) it's just that now I feel so impatient and that amazing feeling of having had a life inside of me is gone and the relationship with BD ended as a result so now I've decided to utilize reproductive assistance to hopefully conceive and carry another little one. I know how you feel though! To allow yourself to get excited and then feel so disappointed 😭 *hugs* keep me posted!!!

Lisap- so what would your approximate timing be? Immediately after or about 6 hours after the + OPK for the first vial? And then 12 or 24 hours after that for the second one? Sorry, just wanna be clear what your suggestion is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->