When to start taking prenatal vitamins?

Rachel89

Reaction score
Hey ladies =)

We are also waiting to try to conceive. And was wondering when exactly you should start taking prenatal vitamins and which ones you recommend?

xx Thank you so much xx

i know that it is strongly recommended to start taking pre-natal vitamins months before trying... i would say 3-4 months before TTC is a good amount of time to start taking them... i am currently taking BLACKMORES- PREGNANCY & BREASTFEEDING GOLD FOR BABYS HEALTHY DEVELOPMENT. you take 2 capsules that equal to 500 mcg and The recommended daily intake of folate for women is 400 micrograms (mcg) per day. They are not to bad in price also :) :) all the best love!!

I would say 3 months before. When are you planning on TTC? I'm going to start a normal multi vitamin in few days time then in October I will start seven seas trying to conceive vitamins before I start TTC in Jan 2016.

I think 3 months before TTC is the general advice. I'm taking Pregnacare all in one at the moment, just because I had them left over from while I was BF'ing my DD- bought 3 months supply and she decided to stop BF'ing a few days later :dohh:. I prefer Sanatogen ones (can't remember the full name) when pregnant as Pregnacare make me sick, but for wtt/ttc Pregnacare are fine (for me).

3 months before is best. Although you can take them for even longer if you want to.

Im going to start my Pregnacare when Ive taken my last contraceptive pill at the beginning of September and We plan to try from late October :)

I had no idea to start taking them before! That's really good to know!

i know that it is strongly recommended to start taking pre-natal vitamins months before trying... i would say 3-4 months before TTC is a good amount of time to start taking them... i am currently taking BLACKMORES- PREGNANCY & BREASTFEEDING GOLD FOR BABYS HEALTHY DEVELOPMENT. you take 2 capsules that equal to 500 mcg and The recommended daily intake of folate for women is 400 micrograms (mcg) per day. They are not to bad in price also :) :) all the best love!!

Thank you so much dmestiza! :hugs: I will definitely look into that prenatal vitamin! I think I read that it is not good to take prenatal vitamins if you're not pregnant, so I guess it makes sense not be taking them that much ahead of starting TTC. Thank you hon :hugs:

I would say 3 months before. When are you planning on TTC? I'm going to start a normal multi vitamin in few days time then in October I will start seven seas trying to conceive vitamins before I start TTC in Jan 2016.

Thank you so much, I didn't know this! I am planning on TTC September-October 2015, and if that doesn't work out we'll take a break and start again in April 2016 (don't want DS and babies birthday to be too close, and also DS was born in September and don't want baby to possible be born in that time frame (sept-dec) as that might mean baby might also have to be held back in kindergarten). thank you so much! And good luck on TTC :happydance: maybe we will be preggers around the same time!

There is actually relatively new research out, which my doctor mentioned, that states any woman of childbearing age should be taking pre-natal vitamins. I think it's partly in case there's an "accident" and partly that the b vitamins are supposed to be very supportive generally.

The short story is, my doctor said to take them always.

My doctor told me to take prenatals and some additional vitamins right away. We aren't trying until March...

There is actually relatively new research out, which my doctor mentioned, that states any woman of childbearing age should be taking pre-natal vitamins. I think it's partly in case there's an "accident" and partly that the b vitamins are supposed to be very supportive generally.

This. My doctor said the same thing - that a prenatal vitamin is a good supplement for all adult women, regardless of TTC. But if you will TTC, start taking it ASAP. You want the right amount of folic acid and other vitamins, and getting them is relatively impossible without a supplement.

Oh, I take Rainbow Prenatal One. Just one big tablet in the morning - doesn't upset my stomach either. I order them from Amazon, Drugstore.com, or Walgreens.com - cheapest and easy to set up a recurring order every 3 months.

I would probably start them 3-4 months before ttcing. The daily one vitamins for women I take have 400 mcg's of folic acid and the protein powder I bought today has 200 mcg's per serving. So starting today I'm getting 600 mcg's of folic acid a day.

I was just coming on to day this! If you are of childbearing age and sexually active you should be on 400mg of folic acid daily (really no need for a full prenatal until you are preggo). 75% of all cases of spinda bifida could be prevented with mom having enough folic acid. Those first 2-3 weeks are critical in babies spinal development. By the time you find out you are pregnant it is too late.

I started on folic acid 2 years before TTC in case there was an accident. Switched to a prenatal once I was preggo and have continued through breastfeeding. Once my DS is weaned I'll switch back to just folic acid. I took gummy prenatals in first trip because the iron in regular ones was too harsh on my stomach. I tried a few brands and settled on Expecta prenatal. 2 small pills a day and never any issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->