When to start using body pillow?

Abbey08

Reaction score
I'm a stomach or right side sleeper and I've heard both will eventually be no-no's. When do people start sleeping with body pillows? Only 9w3d but the last 2 days I've noticed my back and rib cage killing me when I get up and it seems to be the way I'm sleeping on my stomach.

I'm 7 weeks tomorrow and I use mine already! I am a stomach sleeper too and I think the body pillow relieves pressure on my lower back. I can't sleep without it!

I've used mine since about 13 weeks. I say it's never too early for comfort!

I'm a stomach or right side sleeper and I've heard both will eventually be no-no's. When do people start sleeping with body pillows? Only 9w3d but the last 2 days I've noticed my back and rib cage killing me when I get up and it seems to be the way I'm sleeping on my stomach.

I've been waking up with lower back pains lately. I'm only a side sleeper and I just chalked it up to being the position I sleep in but maybe it is because of the pregnancy. I do have a tempur-pedic bed and a pillow and that's suppose to be good for back aches. Hmm, maybe I'll have to try a body pillow! Maybe it'll help me sleep through the night so that I'm not waking up so many times to go pee lol.

I've used a body pillow my entire adult life LOL If you think it will help you sleep better, then get one! I wouldn't necessarily spend money on pregnancy pillows though. I bought a snoogle bc everyone raved about them, but it ended up on the floor (the thing is huge and took the whole bed) and just used my normal body pillow as it did the exact same thing that expensive snoogle did.

I've been really using mine every night for the past week. I hated it at first but it really does help!

I've used a body pillow my entire adult life LOL If you think it will help you sleep better, then get one! I wouldn't necessarily spend money on pregnancy pillows though. I bought a snoogle bc everyone raved about them, but it ended up on the floor (the thing is huge and took the whole bed) and just used my normal body pillow as it did the exact same thing that expensive snoogle did.

I loved my snoogle, especially later in pregnancy as it gave me back support as well and let me turn from one side to the other without having to do crazy pregnancy belly gymnastics while also wrestling a body pillow from one side to the other and inevitably smack my husband in the face with it. It is big, but it earned its worth for me!

I grabbed one already to kind of train myself to use it and I'm really struggling!! I can't fall asleep any other way but on my stomach!!!! And I always wake up on my back. So I'm trying to get in the habit now but it's TOUGH!! I got a really comfy pregnancy pillow from Babies R Us, it's their brand, for $54. Hopefully I can adjust to the new sleeping position :/

I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but until i read this message i hadn't even thought about not being able to sleep on my tummy! Thats how i always sleep, can't sleep any other way! ........ going to have to start getting used to sleeping another way no lol
where did everyone get there pregnancy pillow from?

I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but until i read this message i hadn't even thought about not being able to sleep on my tummy! Thats how i always sleep, can't sleep any other way! ........ going to have to start getting used to sleeping another way no lol

lucy_smith, I was also told you're not supposed to sleep on your right side. Something about important veins or something that run along the right side and heard it can be very bad if you do sleep on your right side...

i guess its a good thing that if i lie on any side its usually my left :)
thanks for letting me know about that one!
honestly didn't expect there to be so many things to remember not to do ! lol

I like to sleep on my stomach too. We have a memory foam mattress and it conformed nicely to accommodate my bump letting me sleep kind of half on my stomach and half on my side using a body pillow to keep me from rolling fully on my stomach.

lucy_smith, I was also told you're not supposed to sleep on your right side. Something about important veins or something that run along the right side and heard it can be very bad if you do sleep on your right side...

I envy any woman who can remain lying one on side through an entire night's sleep in the later stages of pregnancy! I got such horrific hip pain if I didn't switch it up from one side to the other.

Since I fell pregnant with my daughter in 2013! Lol. I started using it at about 9 weeks Due to bad bloating and have used it ever since. Can't sleep without it now xxx

As I understand it, the left side is better if you can sleep that way, but either side will do, just not your back.

It isn't a horrible thing to sleep on your right side but sleeping on your back when your further along is a no-no. The pressure the uterus places on the thoracic area has the possibility of putting pressure on the vena cava (which carries blood from the lower half of your body to the heart) which restricts blood supply can could deprive your baby of oxygen. The left side facilitates the most oxygen supply but the right side is fine. For me, I have a poorly healed collar bone injury on my left side that really bothers me to lay on so I will be a right-sider.

Awesome thread!! I have been looking into body pillows. I am 9w now and will be getting one next week. What type do you ladies use??

I haven't heard anything about right side sleeping. Just know that sleeping on yout left side aids digestion. I have crazy reflux so have been forced to sleep left by that.

Luckily I sleep naturally on my left side every night, however to the poster who said they got bad hip pain while sleeping with their last pregnancy, I am the same!!! So far I have been good but once I get bigger it's going to be so difficult for me.
I use a nursing pillow usually and place it between my knees to help with hip pain. I will miss sleeping on my back though as I wake up that way often!

Here's an extract from the Baby Centre's website about sleeping on your left side if it helps :winkwink::

'Sleeping on your side is best while you're pregnant. In particular, sleeping on your left side may benefit your baby by improving blood flow – and therefore nutrients – to the placenta. It also helps your kidneys efficiently eliminate waste products and fluids from your body, which in turn reduces swelling in your ankles, feet, and hands.'

Regarding how you sleep and what side\back etc. When you're heavily pregnant just getting comfortable is a miracle, and if that's left side, right side or back it really doesn't matter. I've never heard of any disasters that happened because a mum slept on her back. I used a wedge later in pregnancy - found that really helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->