When to take baby swimming?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Gemie, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Gemie

Gemie Mum to 3

When would you take your baby swimming? Poppy is 7 weeks and loves the bath so oh wants to take her swimming but I didn't know whether it was too soon, what do you think?

2. purplepower

purplepower 1st time Mummy

Some of the swimming classes start at 8 weeks, I think it is worth checking the temp of the pool though seeing as she is still young.

3. bigbetty

bigbetty Mammam to a princess

You can take her swimming whenever you like love, you don't have to wait until after the first set of jabs. Fran was about 9wks when we first took her and she quite enjoyed it. I agree that you should call and check the temperature of the pool before you go though xxx

4. KayBea

KayBea Mummy to Xanthia Lily

Xanthia was 6 weeks..

Ring up and ask the temp of pool, what they need to wear - one pool near me allows just a swim nappy but the one near my mums they have to wear a swim nappy and a swim suit.
    X

5. bigbetty

bigbetty Mammam to a princess

Oooh good thinking KayBea. When we took Fran I put her in a normal swimsuit with a wetsuit type one over the top so she had layers to keep her warmer.

6. a_c

a_c mummy to one

I have a 'Poppy' too :) We went swimming first at about 10 weeks. You can go anytime thoguh.

7. Ozzieshunni

Ozzieshunni Guest

There are mommy and baby swim classes that start from birth :flower: I plan on getting LO into the water as soon as I heal from my c-section :haha: I was a water baby. I hope he'll be too!

8. DextersMummy

DextersMummy Well-Known Member

HV said something tho that worried me, she said that babies when they have their jabs the polio can still come out and spread for the first month as it is carried in their poop and if they poop in the pool it can spread? this worried me, she told me to therefore wait until we have had the first set of jabs done, I dont want to spread that worry onto you but maybe some of the other mums will know if this is true or not? for the sake of waiting a little longer to be sure? xx

9. Macmad

Macmad Happy mum of 2!

My LO went at 7 weeks. She loves it!

10. aragornlover8

aragornlover8 Well-Known Member

I'm really glad you asked this, as I haven't felt quite comfortable taking Alex swimming yet. I'd like to be able to put her in a swim nappy but I can't find any her size?? The smallest seems to be around 16lb-26lb. Anyone have any suggestions??

11. bumpy_j

bumpy_j Well-Known Member

mothercare do tots bots swim nappies in smaller sizes