when to take opk after af??

Reaction score
so i finally got af after 68 days, had spotting day before af which i never get, and i usually have sore boobs for 2 wks before af, but not this time, so wierd!!! very disappointed!! but at least i can try again, i am so tore as to keep trying or give it a break, but anyways i need to know when should i start taking opk's??? since my cycle is screwed up i dont know when to start testing!!! af started the 8th so it should be over by the 13th or 14th!! so just curious when i should start testing and when we should dtd when we get a pos. opk?? but i think honestly it always happens when you least expect it, right when ur not trying it happens, so maybe i will just let it happen when it does, instead of stressing myself out each and every day

so maybe i will just let it happen when it does, instead of stressing myself out each and every day

:hugs: I'm sorry it didn't work out for you this time. Do you normally have long cycles? If so, I understand it may be difficult for you to know when ovulation is approaching.

I found a site that gives estimated days to start testing up until an average length of 40 days. It says with a 40 day cycle to start on day 23. However, I don't know if this will be to your benefit.

My best advice would be to temp. Do you temp or track cm? Temping will confirm when you ovulate and therefore also helps you to determine your luteal phase length (time between ovulation and next cycle). You get a special BBT thermometer, which is available at many places. I got mine at Wal-Mart for $8-$9. You take your temperature every morning before getting out of bed, moving a lot, talking, drinking, etc. It gives you the base temperature. You add this to your chart. The pre-ovulation temps are lower, then after you get three higher temps your ovulation will be confirmed. Then you are in the luteal phase/tww where your temps will be higher. This will definitely help you find a pattern over time (in case you need it).

You are supposed to ovulate 24-36 hours after a positive opk. This may vary based on the brand you use. However, the thing that is horrid about them is that they can be positive, your body struggles to ovulate, but then you assume you ovulated when it actually didn't happen yet. That's why some get multiple positives throughout the cycle.

My advice until you have a general idea of when ovulation happens is to get a tally of your cycles. Take the shortest and the longest. Then look at the calendar, count off to the shortest possible next af date and the longest possible next af date. For example: maybe between 55(shortest)-68(longest). Then count back 12-14 days from the shortest and then 12-14 days from the longest. Perhaps a week before that range might be a good time to start testing or to assume you might be near ovulation. We are normally supposed to have 12-14 days between ovulation and the start of the next cycle. This varies as well. :dohh:

Another idea: bd at least 2-3 times each week hoping to catch ovulation until you have a general idea of when it happens. I'm sorry it is so difficult. I wish it could all be easier. Good luck! :flower:

i start to use my opk's my sixth day out from AF,and just keep using them ....

good luck

I normally start opks from CD10 onwards. Hoping that long cycle was a one off for you :hugs: xx

I start OPKs after AF, though like you I have weird cycles and sometimes are quite long so I invested in the internet cheapies and go through a TON...if it is not normal for your cycles to be so long I would hesitate to start doing OPKs late in the cycle in fear of missing it...This is what I do...

I generally start OPKs once a day, same time each day, after AF is finished, or within a few days...I then monitor my CM and when I start getting Watery CM I consistently start doing OPKs twice a day, one around 11 and one around 5 so that I don't miss the surge. Once you get a positive BD every day for the next 4 days.

Generally we BD at least every 3 days anyway as you don't want to wait for a pos. OPK as you may miss the surge, or the BEGINNING of the surge as that is when the 24-36hour "timer" starts.

Temping is great to confirm that ovulation happens so that you can know better for next cycle but will not help you pinpoint the ovulation day ahead of schedule for THIS cycle.

Hope this helps and makes sense...I'm a rambler :)

thank u ladies so much!! i am cd 8 now so i will start testing probably tomorrow

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->