When to take ovulation predictor test?

lovelymiss

First Time Mommy
Reaction score
So we are in between NTNP and TTC. We want a baby but aren't doing a lot to track. I had my paragard removed on the 16th. Based purely on my period tracking app and pretty regular cycle, I am due for the big O on the 21st. We plan to just BD a lot for the next week.

I had my period from the 7th to the 10th. We BDed 2 nights before the paragard was removed (so the 14th) but didn't get to do it again until last night (18th) due to schedules. I want to take a predictor I have from the Dollar Tree just to see if I missed the O or to see if I can catch it. I figure my bases are sort of covered because we BDed a bit early and will continue to BD all month, but still... I guess I just want to pee on something! :laugh2: I don't temp, check my cervix, etc. I did notice my CM change yesterday and my sex drive increased, so I wonder if I could have Oed early or if my body is prepping for O! Anyway, I have just 2 tests. When should I take them? I know they aren't positive until the test is darker than the control line, but that's about it! I am not even sure why I got them... I just got so excited that we are officially ready to make a baby! :happydance:

Thanks and Baby Dust to all!!!! :dust::dust::dust:

I think you should get a multipack of tests and test every day because you aren't sure when you ovulate. Read Taking Charge of Your Fertility, it goes into detail about the "myth" of the medical community telling women they should ovulate on day 14 of their cycle. A lot of the phone apps go by the 14 day myth so I would not trust that at all. Every woman's body is different. Your CM is a great way to check for ovulation. Actually yesterday I was looking on the Fertility Friend website to look at other women's charts and some women ovulated on day 11, some on day 24 and some even later! Again, I highly recommend reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility, I learned so much about this whole process and what I didn't know about my own body was amazing! If I hadn't read this book I would not have realized that I wasn't ovulating at all and would still be confused about a lot of things.

Good luck and have fun!

PS, is that your little guy in your profile pic?? He is soooo CUTE!

Thanks! I honestly don't want to deal with the stress of testing every day, tracking etc. I see why it's important. I ended up testing yesterday and this afternoon. My line was dark, but not darker than the control yesterday afternoon, then much lighter this afternoon... so definitely looks like my tracker is off. I think our bases may be covered regardless, so I'm not worried. Next month we'll just BD every other day to cover our bases. Thanks for the tips!

And yes, that's my guy. He's a good ball. :) Thank you!

I got an OPk kit on a whim and I used it when my period tracker says I'm fertile. I generally feel fertile during the same timeframe it gives but I just wanted to be sure, more out of curiosity. Sometimes I've wondered if I ovulate a day later than it indicates. Because I started taking the OPK's later than the instructions suggested I never saw no line whatsoever, just a faint one meaning negative. The darkest line I saw was ever so slightly not as dark as the control so still technically negative but since it was fainter again the following day I think I just missed the hormonal surge.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think just two tests is enough. I'm not an expert or even experienced myself in this but I think if I only had two tests I'd be even more confused. Like someone said, I think testing twice a day would probably be better if you don't want to miss the surge. As for me, I'm probably not going to use them again, they correlated close enough with my period tracker for me to be satisfied. Good luck!

Oh, also if you are only testing once a day you can miss your lh surge. Some women have short lh surges so if they only test in the AM and their surge is in the evening it can come and go by the next test. Sounds like you aren't ready for such a big commitment yet! I didn't start temping, charting etc for a few months untul after trying. Hopefully you wont even need to get into it at all, Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->