When to tell family?

Okela

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Right now I'm 5 weeks along and morning sickness has set in. Last night we were at my parent's home to discuss details on our wedding (we're getting married in their yard this september), and the cup of tea I had made me feel so so nauseous :sick: my mom kept giving me weird looks, I think she suspects something. We have an ultrasound scheduled for when I'm 8 weeks and were planning on telling our families after that, but I'm not sure if we'll be able to keep it a secret this way.

When did you tell your parents?

Hi Okela, I am 4 + 3 pregnant and am going to tell parents tonight!
These are my reasons
1. I'm really bad at lying and they ask all the time 'how things are going'
2. They can tell anyway as I'm not drinking alcohol, too much caffeine, and being very careful with my food (I'm diabetic so have to keep tight control)
3. In the previous past 2 miscarriages iv had I only found them a support and if I hadn't already told them I was pregnant don't know how I would have told them....I was pregnant but now I'm not...!

The best advice someone gave me is....tell the people you would turn too if you needed support! Anyone else doesn't need to know!
Don't get me wrong I'm nervous about telling them because they will be as nervous as me! I did consider trying to lie to save them from the worry that I feel, but I know they would say to me...why didn't u tell us so we could support you!

Everyone is different and all parents are different but just do what you feel is right....there is no right or wrong answer!

Wishing you H and H pregnancy
Laura x

I'm telling MIL today not sure when I'll tell my mum x

I am only 3 weeks 4 days today and my wife and I have agreed to wait until our first ultrasound to confirm the baby is growing and viable.

BUT I want to tell the WHOLE WORLD.....lol...

I told my two closest friends and sister first (around 4 weeks) and my parents at 4+5 as they were visiting and I wanted to share the news with them face to face as they dont live nearby. Planning on telling DH's side of family after 8 week scan and other friends after 12 weeks.

We told my in-laws on Friday (7w1d) after seeing a strong HB. I wanted to wait but DH was about to burst so I caved.
I haven't told my parents. I am estranged from them so I'm really struggling with this. I may just email my Father to tell him after my u/s on Monday provided everything goes well. It's my first contact with them since my wedding in January so I am nervous

You tell when you're comfortable sharing the news. With morning sickness though, it makes it a bit tricky to keep it a secret. If you're comfortable telling them now, then go for it, if you want to wait, then wait.

With my first, I told my mom at 8 or 9w, and everyone else at 12w. With this one, we'll be sharing the news on Saturday when I'm 8w.

We've always told our parents right away; we figure even if we suffered a loss, we wanted their support. And during my D&C, it was very helpful to have both sets of parents involved with helping me care for our child in the post-surgery period.

But it's a personal choice. Some people wait to tell. We haven't made our pregnancy "public" yet, but some people know. But parents and my sister have always been told immediately. :)

I miscarried this winter and what I found really hard was having everyone at work know about it.
So this time around I'm not telling anyone at work exept for my boss.
As for family, I was going to try and wait until the end of the first trimester, but honestly that became impossible with the constant nausea and vomitting. So I ended up telling them early on again. But honestly, a miscarriage is something I would discuss with my family anyway, so I don't really see the point in waiting to tell them.

The first time that I was pregnant, I told at 8 weeks. That was my first opportunity to do so in person. This time around I was just short of 7 weeks. That was my first opportunity to tell in person, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->